considering a repositioning cruise in april 2023

xeena

Miami to barcelona..... 4 straight sea days has me a bit concerned....anyone with  repositioning cruise experience?  we like to read but 4 days of reading.....not sure. are there any planned activities...(not just spa treatments) during the day?

We’ve done repositioning in both directions and loved it. The only problem with going west to east is you lose an hour almost every sea day as you reset your clocks. Going in the opposite direction you gain an hour almost every night. But there is plenty to do and it makes a good restful cruise as compared to ports every day. 

• Like 1

Loved our Barbados - Barcelona this past March. We had 6 days at sea in a row and it was glorious! 

West to East does mean you lose an hour most days at sea as has been mentioned, but the ents team noticed people went to bed earlier and rejigged timings for activities and shows. 

The country fair on a TA is always fun, there is plenty going on. You won’t be bored if you an active person, and if you want to relax you can. 

If I had my way every cruise for me would be a transoceanic. I absolutely loved it. 

Next TA for us is Cape Town to Rio to do the South Atlantic. 

• Like 1

We have done many T/As and T/Ps and love them!! I always enjoy the speakers and Trivia as well as reading. Pool time is nice as well. Just super relaxing and the ship really is the destination. But then I could sail around in a circle and be happy!!! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Our transatlantic started in New York, then to Quebec City with a few stops along the way, then back out with a few stops in the Maritimes the last being, I believe, New Foundland. Then across to Ireland. Only 3 sea days. Ended in Dover. 19 days. We loved it.

2 hours ago, SombraDeLuna said:

Totally agree that going west to east is better.  It's less of an impact on the body clock.  

I am not sure about that  I was so tired  when we got to Southampton  from N.A.

On 8/9/2022 at 3:37 AM, ToxM said:

Loved our Barbados - Barcelona this past March. We had 6 days at sea in a row and it was glorious! 

West to East does mean you lose an hour most days at sea as has been mentioned, but the ents team noticed people went to bed earlier and rejigged timings for activities and shows. 

The country fair on a TA is always fun, there is plenty going on. You won’t be bored if you an active person, and if you want to relax you can. 

What is the country fair? 

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am not sure about that  I was so tired  when we got to Southampton  from N.A.

Yep, I accidentally reversed the directions!  Going from east to west is easier -- gain time!  

Edited by SombraDeLuna
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

What is the country fair? 

All the ship departments have stalls on the deck and you compete in competitions at the stalls to win raffle tickets to win prizes..lots of fun!

• Like 3

I've lost track of how many trans-Atlantics I've done, but I've enjoyed them all and I'm sure you won't get bored.  We jokingly refer to it as "enforced relaxation".  I, too, enjoy reading and there's nothing quite like grabbing a glass of wine and going poolside with your book.  There are plenty of low-impact, on-board activities or you can grab tonight's restaurant's wine list and figure out which one you'll have with dinner.  If you don't want to put that much forethought into things - you are on vacation, after all - you can go back to your room, have a glass of wine, and catch up on the news of the world.  If that's too depressing, head up to Horizons at tea time, have a little pre-dinner dinner and a glass of wine, and look out the window as the the lack-of-world goes by.  I'm sure there are other things to do on sea days, but I'm perfectly content with the options I've found. 😁

Edited by Cliff-FLL
  • Like 2

When we started cruising lo these many years ago we disliked sea days.  Took one or two repositioning cruises and learned to love them.  Yes, there are plenty of activities scheduled on board.  And if you just want to laze around and do nothing, you can do that too.

OP may come to love these cruises as much as we do ... I hope so!

Mura

Our first O was a transatlantic from Barcelona to Rio.  Had a wonderful time kissing the cod on crossing the equator.  Every sea day there was lots to do.

Trips 2 to 4 were port intensive and we have realized we need the sea days to recoup for the excursions.

Our fifth (next year on the Vista) is a transatlantic from London to NYC.  We are looking forward to the sea days.

Like some of the other posters, we have done our share of TA cruises and also done a couple of longer transpacifics.  Our most recent TA (this past March-April) started out with 9 straight sea days.  To us, and many cruisers who like sea days, this was pure heaven.  I was almost sad when we reached our first port (Funchal) and we actually needed to go off the ship.

Like the OP, both DW and I love to read.  But on the lazy sea days there are always some activities onboard any cruise ship, and there is also a fair amount of socialization.   Over our many TA cruises we have seen a few folks go crazy with boredom, but they are the exception and IMHO it is their own fault.  If you cannot entertain yourself then take advantage to what is offered aboard :).  

Hank

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 4:42 PM, xeena said:

Miami to barcelona..... 4 straight sea days has me a bit concerned....anyone with  repositioning cruise experience?  we like to read but 4 days of reading.....not sure. are there any planned activities...(not just spa treatments) during the day?

We booked this cruise last year. It will be our first Transatlantic cruise.  if I will have that many sea days I would love it to be on Oceania. 

From our first NCL transatlantic on the brand new Epic ship, we were hooked! We are finished with big ship travel, on Oceania we savor the days at sea, the absolute leisure; prowling the library, earning Big O points, early morning coffee/tea, craft group, ‘helping’ friends win at bingo, afternoon tea, listening to “strings” playing on the ship, rushing to play trivia and Mensa, Waves for lunch, specialty dining, we never have enough hours in the day. We plan/book at least one Oceania transatlantic each year,  and are anxious for the 2025 catalogs! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have taken several repositioning cruises both ways, and have never been bored.    There was always plenty to do, as well as time to relax, and enjoy a changing sky and ocean.  Bliss!  Also, we appreciated the fact that we did not have jet lag.