Gala evening dress

escrick

A potentially illustrative example - on my first cruise on Cunard, approximately seven years ago, I went with my sister, who was then in her mid twenties. She had accidentally misread the dress code and had come without formal clothing of any nature.

For ‘Gala Night’ she improvised with a pair of jet-black denim jeans, a long-sleeved black top, and maximum statement jewellery with impeccable hair, the idea being to focus attention ‘up’.

No one reacted to the outfit. No one commented on it. No one gave the slightest impression of having noticed (and we were sensitive to reactions!).

The term (or one of them) used at the time that confused her was ‘stylish separates’ for women, I think, and to this day we tease her about it, but my point is that we learned that no one cares so long as you look well presented and like you’ve put some effort in. Was it her dream outfit for the scenario? No. Were there people I consider less formally dressed than even she? Yes. 

I’ve cruised with Cunard many times since, and I couldn’t tell you for any cruise how many people chose a tux over a suit; or a dress over slacks, or whether a particular hemline was long or short (the lady in the pink cowboy hat stood out though). The overall impression I took away was a heightening of effort, and I think if you can pull off that, you’ll be fine. Intent counts! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Having just come off QE I can confirm that there are very few ballgowns. For gala nights I wore a knee length black/purple cocktail dress, a dark yellow maxi dress and a purple velvet ankle length shift dress. OH wore a dark suit with either a bow tie or a normal tie. We fitted in fine. We also thoroughly enjoyed watching all the dancers in the Queen’s Room. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 1:09 AM, escrick said:

I have read many posts about dressing up for dinners and galas.  I am now not sure that we want to take our first Cunard cruise next year.  I am happy for those of you who love the elegance and formality of Cunard: however both of our careers required smart dressing and black tie dinners.  In retirement, we are beginning to think that we need a different environment.  Thankfully, there are other lines from which to choose.  We have a deposit on a Queen’s Grill suite, but I think we will stick out like sore thumbs—dark suit for hubby and no ball gown for me.  Maybe, we are lazy.   We have time to think through our decision, but I have my doubts.  

You're right - there are many other lines that apparently have wonderful food and are very comfortable and that welcome a more casual approach to dress. I think the key is that you say you need a 'different environment' and are happy to leave Cunard to those who 'love the elegance and formality' of it. If you're not interested in such elegance and formality while you're on holiday, avoid the stress and make your changes.

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

You're right - there are many other lines that apparently have wonderful food and are very comfortable and that welcome a more casual approach to dress. I think the key is that you say you need a 'different environment' and are happy to leave Cunard to those who 'love the elegance and formality' of it. If you're not interested in such elegance and formality while you're on holiday, avoid the stress and make your changes.

Wonder why they booked it in the first place

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Because they wanted to?  

escrick,  hasn't said she doesn't want to 'comply' with Gala evening attire, she has wondered if they'd 'fit it' so until we hear from her, there's a bit of assumption here other cruise lines would /should be a better fit.

I will also make an assumption. Maybe she has read some of the, let's say 'out of date'  comments on this board as far as Gala attire is concerned and maybe thinks that's the reality when in fact, it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Because they wanted to?  

escrick,  hasn't said she doesn't want to 'comply' with Gala evening attire, she has wondered if they'd 'fit it' so until we hear from her, there's a bit of assumption here other cruise lines would /should be a better fit.

I will also make an assumption. Maybe she has read some of the, let's say 'out of date'  comments on this board as far as Gala attire is concerned and maybe thinks that's the reality when in fact, it isn't.

One will also make an assumption.  Or conversely, has read postings from the “we want more casual” dumbing down brigade and has no wish to play.

2 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

I love sailing on Cunard. I love the elegant, spacious, and serene ships, I love the warm and efficient service, I love the very enjoyable (usually) food. That is why I book holidays with them. I think the evening dress code is quite beneficial, as it makes people feel they are somewhere a bit special and perhaps behave accordingly, but it is only a minor reason for booking with Cunard. Obviously, for some others, it is much more important. But there are lots of reasons to travel with Cunard, not just the dressing up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

…I think the evening dress code is quite beneficial, as it makes people feel they are somewhere a bit special and perhaps behave accordingly, but it is only a minor reason for booking with Cunard….

This is the essential value of any dress code: to set a tone.  Asking people to make an effort does seem to go beyond just appearance - it does spill over into conduct.   Private schools in the US and many state schools world wide have dress codes, state and Federal legislatures have dress codes, as have social and business institutions, and US courts.   

Edited by navybankerteacher

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

This is the essential value of any dress code: to set a tone.  Asking people to make an effort does seem to go beyond just appearance - it does spill over into conduct.   Private schools in the US and many state schools world wide have dress codes, state and Federal legislatures have dress codes, as have social and business institutions, and US courts.   

I think the beneficial effects of school uniform have a slightly different basis. Teenagers need something to rebel against: it is much more restful for everyone if they do this by wearing skirts that are too short than by throwing things at the teacher. I suspect that Cunard passengers, having reached mainly the age of discretion and maturity, may have slightly different motivations.

38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course some 'institutions' require a level of dress, that goes without saying but conduct in the sense you mean with regard to Cunard for that's what this thread is about should not be measured by anything we wear.

The wearing of Black tie does not mean the wearer is beyond reproach for Miss Manners, just as anyone 'caught' in a dark suit [heaven forfend]  is not about to let the side down.

Maybe  escrickwill let us k now if most of us have allayed her slight measure of foreboding re her QG booking.

O repeat, one's attire does not reflect how we conduct ourselves in everyday life

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, escrick said:

I have read many posts about dressing up for dinners and galas.  I am now not sure that we want to take our first Cunard cruise next year.  I am happy for those of you who love the elegance and formality of Cunard: however both of our careers required smart dressing and black tie dinners.  In retirement, we are beginning to think that we need a different environment.  Thankfully, there are other lines from which to choose.  We have a deposit on a Queen’s Grill suite, but I think we will stick out like sore thumbs—dark suit for hubby and no ball gown for me.  Maybe, we are lazy.   We have time to think through our decision, but I have my doubts.  

I'm on QE  now - I wear  black mid calf skirt and a floaty top for gala nights he wears a dark suit white shirt and silk tie.  We look ike about 50 % of people some are more dressed up some less.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2