Tipping currency

jimbo1683

I hesitate to post this knowing how tipping threads end up! I'm not interested in what people think about tipping or how much. But I would like to know IF I tip beyond auto gratuities, is it customary to do so in US dollars, GBP (as my cruise starts and ends in Southampton) or Euros (as that is where the cruise sails to)?

• Like 1

While US Dollars are the official on board currency, we have used all three depending on what cash we had on hand at the end of a cruise segment.

[danger tipping thread trigger] We leave the auto tips in place, but budget small cash tips to be presented at the end of each segment - we have noticed that waiters and the sommelier may change with each segment.[/danger]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

I hesitate to post this knowing how tipping threads end up! I'm not interested in what people think about tipping or how much. But I would like to know IF I tip beyond auto gratuities, is it customary to do so in US dollars, GBP (as my cruise starts and ends in Southampton) or Euros (as that is where the cruise sails to)?

One has always used USD, or a mixture of € & $ for tipping.  Plus retained daily gratuities.
As crew’s employment has been reduced, can one suggest going large for good service and substantive for excellent.

Or alternatively, which is becoming more noticeable, take the option to dine in the Buffet on the final evening.

It’s one’s cruise and choice of “customary”.

11 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One has always used USD, or a mixture of € & $ for tipping.  Plus retained daily gratuities.
As crew’s employment has been reduced, can one suggest going large for good service and substantive for excellent.

Or alternatively, which is becoming more noticeable, take the option to dine in the Buffet on the final evening.

It’s one’s cruise and choice of “customary”.

We're on a budget. It won't be large and certainly won't be substantive I'm afraid! But i'll take a few low denomination dollars.

2 hours ago, smilesonfaces said:

I will take $ just because the lowest paper £ is a 5. I wouldn’t want to be taking a bag of pound coins ! will get a mixture of $1’s and $2’s Without getting in to a tipping debate I wouldn’t  be giving a £5 tip just for delivering a drink ! 

Why would you tip for a drink anyway? Remember that 15% added to the bill.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The 15% is pooled, but a cash gratuity is for personal service, identical to dining wait staff etc., even if one pays the daily gratuities.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

We're on a budget. It won't be large and certainly won't be substantive I'm afraid! But i'll take a few low denomination dollars.

And there's no need to tip at all, so don't feel you have to, and don't feel bad if you don't. But obviously dollars would be better than, say, Albanian Leks. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Petulia said:

We’ve used a mix of £, $ and € in the past, but pop them in an envelope so the recipients have no idea until later what they have been given! 

Think you’ll find envelopes are opened about 20 seconds after one’s back is turned at their work station.

One now always discreetly give envelopes on the second from last evening of the cruise, or each section if multiples.  With each envelope is the unused portion of a White Star card.  
Agree, about mixed currency also being acceptable.  Cash is cash and cash is king.

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

We are due to cruise with Princess and Cunard who provide free room service and I will  tip for this. I didn’t give any extra tips on P & O because they charged for room service. I wouldn’t be tipping in the bars or restaurants,  just the room service and cabin steward.

As I say though not a tipping debate. Everyone should just what they think is best. 

1 hour ago, smilesonfaces said:

We are due to cruise with Princess and Cunard who provide free room service and I will  tip for this. I didn’t give any extra tips on P & O because they charged for room service. I wouldn’t be tipping in the bars or restaurants,  just the room service and cabin steward.

As I say though not a tipping debate. Everyone should just what they think is best. 

That's pretty much the same as what i'm thinking - particularly cabin steward