Brisbane cruise terminal to Roma st train station

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

True but then there are many reasons, some people are fitter than others, may not have much luggage, may have time, may want a cheaper method, may want to use local transport, etc 

I can’t think of any public transport to white elephant?
I think the new metro has a station at Balmain, I don’t know how that would go?

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree with most of your post however you can get to white Bay using mostly public transport. While the ferry from kings wharf to white Bay doesn't take the Opal card it is for the public to use, and relatively  inexpensive.

How many people find the ferry to White Bay (if it is even running now) convenient when hauling their luggage? I would be OK if Sydney if a port stop, but it is usually a turn-around port.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

No it’s not running yet but maybe for the coming season.

I think it was $14 ,not that bad but still not circular quay.

Cairns airport has shuttles into town and a cab is about $18.

Stay the night and 5-10 minute walk to the terminal .

How good is that.

For $28 for two, I think I could get a taxi from Sydney CBD to White Bay. We have done that when we were on B2B cruises out of White Bay.

When P&O operated some cruises out of Cairns, they had to discount the prices heavily to try to sell cabins.

44 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

How many people find the ferry to White Bay (if it is even running now) convenient when hauling their luggage? I would be OK if Sydney if a port stop, but it is usually a turn-around port.

We have done it numerous times but then we travel light one medium sized case each or less and are young and fit. It is a mute point at the moment anyway, as the service is not running just yet.

45 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

For $28 for two, I think I could get a taxi from Sydney CBD to White Bay. We have done that when we were on B2B cruises out of White Bay.

When P&O operated some cruises out of Cairns, they had to discount the prices heavily to try to sell cabins.

It was $9 pp each way or $14 pp return, certainly cheaper than a cab from the CBD. The cab the one time we caught it was $35 one way.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

I do agree though that a cab or shuttle from Sydney airport to White Bay is cheaper and easier than a train, ferry and the walk.

That is what we do - take a taxi. Sometimes there is someone else heading to the ship as well and we share a taxi. I wouldn't be bothered hauling my luggage onto a train or a ferry then walking with it. With the amount spent on the trip I don't mind a small amount extra to have the convenience of a taxi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

True but then there are many reasons, some people are fitter than others, may not have much luggage, may have time, may want a cheaper method, may want to use local transport, etc 

We are all coming from different places to board, so yes we are all different. If the ferry was running, a single far is much cheaper; for two slightly cheaper; for three it is cheaper by cab. 

I am fit enough to drag Barb's laden luggage around, but prefer not to, even without heat or rain.

Just did a comparison roughly priced to get to a ship from our place in Newcastle suburbia.

OPT - 3 trains, a bit over 3hrs, around $15 each

White Bay - 2 trains and a cab, 3hrs 20 min, around $35 each

BICT - train, bus, plane, taxi, 3hrs, around $100 each.

I am happy with any of those, and much better value that those on the opposite side of the city to their port.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We are all coming from different places to board, so yes we are all different. If the ferry was running, a single far is much cheaper; for two slightly cheaper; for three it is cheaper by cab. 

I am fit enough to drag Barb's laden luggage around, but prefer not to, even without heat or rain.

Just did a comparison roughly priced to get to a ship from our place in Newcastle suburbia.

OPT - 3 trains, a bit over 3hrs, around $15 each

White Bay - 2 trains and a cab, 3hrs 20 min, around $35 each

BICT - train, bus, plane, taxi, 3hrs, around $100 each.

My WC on the Coral next year leaves from the OPT. To get there, I will be driven to the airport (fuel cost maybe $10), airfare to Sydney ($226 at the moment) + transfer ($29). I accept that these are the costs if I cruise from Sydney.

For our cruises from Brisbane, we have the fuel cost $10, plus undercover parking of $128.44. That covers two people.

Edited by Aus Traveller

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

My WC on the Coral next year leaves from the OPT. To get there, I will be driven to the airport (fuel cost maybe $10), airfare to Sydney ($226 at the moment) + transfer ($29). I accept that these are the costs if I cruise from Sydney.

For our cruises from Brisbane, we have the fuel cost $10, plus undercover parking of $128.44. That covers two people.

Our travel costs to the BICT in June were around $250 for fuel and $105 for undercover parking (I booked Portside before they increased their prices), which covered two people. 

For our September cruises it will probably be around $30 each way for an Uber to the OPT.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:53 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

I'm not saying that this is feasible, only that it exists.

Walk to the corner of Dickson Road and Main Road.

Catch the 303 bus to Doomben station.

Catch the train from Doomben station direct to Roma Street station.

Two problems. First you aren't supposed to walk out of the terminal grounds. Second the 303 bus timetable is very restricted (M-F early AM and late PM).

So next option is to get a taxi from the cruise terminal to Doomben station, saving considerable dollars. The problem there is that the train doesn't run on Sundays.

Basically, unless you want to go to a lot of trouble, the realistic option is taxi or uber.

Feasibility study completed too your challenge on 🤔 walk was flat and about 18mins worst part was inside BICT all those visions impaired steel bumps could easily take out a wheel if taken at speed . Next time will avoid car park walk ways and follow road . There was no physical stop sign called Qld bus and they confirmed that i was at right location, one bus according to there online schedule did not show up .... 826 am last one finally came around corner and when pulled up to my surprise 2 elderly, one with a walker disembark the 303 with luggage!!! . Used my NSW pension Opal card ,beeped but no charge ,not compatible nothing said so sat down .Paid $2.50 for train to Roma st train station have a NSW train ticket pre booked travelling to coffs Harbour costing free voucher and QLD section $8:07 😀........total cost $10:57 less than the $12.00 pints at the Trans Hotel 🍺😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Feasibility study completed too your challenge on 🤔 walk was flat and about 18mins worst part was inside BICT all those visions impaired steel bumps could easily take out a wheel if taken at speed . Next time will avoid car park walk ways and follow road . There was no physical stop sign called Qld bus and they confirmed that i was at right location, one bus according to there online schedule did not show up .... 826 am last one finally came around corner and when pulled up to my surprise 2 elderly, one with a walker disembark the 303 with luggage!!! . Used my NSW pension Opal card ,beeped but no charge ,not compatible nothing said so sat down .Paid $2.50 for train to Roma st train station have a NSW train ticket pre booked travelling to coffs Harbour costing free voucher and QLD section $8:07 😀........total cost $10:57 less than the $12.00 pints at the Trans Hotel 🍺😬

Winning!! Well done.

56 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

There was no physical stop sign called Qld bus and they confirmed that i was at right location

I believe that part of the 303 bus route is where you can flag the bus down. There are no designated stops.

58 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

one bus according to there online schedule did not show up

Always a risk at the moment. They have trouble with drivers getting covid.

59 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Used my NSW pension Opal card

You can apply online for a Pensioner Go Card. It offers free bus and ferry travel M-F between 8:30am and 3:30pm and after 7pm. Although I've never yet seen anybody thrown off a bus for not having a Go Card.

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

total cost $10:57 less than the $12.00 pints at the Trans Hotel

Well done!

• Thanks 1