Another NCL change that I hope Royal doesn't follow

tx121

NCL has revolutionized the cruise industry in the freestyle concept and most of the maintstrean cruise lines have adapted it in some way in their business model. It seems like most of NCL's practices are just a cash grab and in the past has had the reputation of the "nickel and diming" cruise line. Thanks to NCL, some of the cruise lines over the years have downgraded the quality of food in the main dining room so people would rather spend money on the specialty restaurants to get better quality food. Now NCL is rolling out on their newest ships and soon after their entire fleet where the main dining room is going to have the same menu every day and smaller buffet options. I really hope Royal doesn't follow this change. I enjoy going in to the MDR and seeing a different menu every night and having many different options in the Windjammer. Would you second guess cruising on Royal if they made this change?

Edited by tx121
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, tx121 said:

NCL has revolutionized the cruise industry in the freestyle concept and most of the maintstrean cruise lines have adapted it in some way in their business model. It seems like most of NCL's practices are just a cash grab and in the past has had the reputation of the "nickel and diming" cruise line. Thanks to NCL, some of the cruise lines over the years have downgraded the quality of food in the main dining room so people would rather spend money on the specialty restaurants to get better quality food. Now NCL is rolling out on their newest ships and soon after their entire fleet where the main dining room is going to have the same menu every day and smaller buffet options. I really hope Royal doesn't follow this change. I enjoy going in to the MDR and seeing a different menu every night and having many different options in the Windjammer. Would you second guess cruising on Royal if they made this change?

I don't feel that's entirely accurate. While it's true the MDR's on the new NCL ships will have the same menu, it will have more selections, along with specials every night. Their current menu is half the same and half new items so I don't feel this is a major hardship.

I've been on a lot of NCL cruises, and while I like the experience, I do feel they're starting to price themselves out of the mainstream market a little bit for some cruises.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, tx121 said:

We have no problem with the standards on NCL, RC, X, P&O etc.. Perhaps you could give an example of your cruise where the MDR menu was the came every day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Perhaps you don't remember Dynamic Dining.

I have never experienced dynamic dining but heard it was a major fail. Hopefully Royal has learned from their mistake and NCL will too with their new concept. 

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have no problem with the standards on NCL, RC, X, P&O etc.. Perhaps you could give an example of your cruise where the MDR menu was the came every day.

I have never went on a cruise where the MDR menu was the same every day. NCL is rolling this out on their new ship soon.

Edited by tx121
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I have been on NCL many times

Never been "nickel & dimed"

Any more than RCCL or any other line.

That's what I said over the years they were named the nickel and dimed cruise line. NCL was the pioneer cruise line for extra charges starting with the specialty restaurants. All other lines have followed suit with extra charges.

Example of NCL's current nickel and diming practices: Charge for laser tag, VR, bowling ,go karts. etc If you don't do these activities then yes you would never be nickel and dimed.

Edited by tx121
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tx121 said:

I have never experienced dynamic dining but heard it was a major fail. Hopefully Royal has learned from their mistake and NCL will too with their new concept. 

Dynamic Dining is a total success on Celebrity Edge class ships. Works perfectly! It’s the best thing about that class!
FYI there 4 restaurants/ different decor- each has 3-4 items that are available every day pertinent to the theme of that restaurant; the other half of the menu is available in all restaurants and changes daily. 
Wish RCI would reintroduce it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, little britain said:

Dynamic Dining is a total success on Celebrity Edge class ships. Works perfectly! It’s the best thing about that class!
FYI there 4 restaurants/ different decor- each has 3-4 items that are available every day pertinent to the theme of that restaurant; the other half of the menu is available in all restaurants and changes daily. 
Wish RCI would reintroduce it. 

Yes I agree. When I cruised on the Edge, I found it to be great. I think they have tweaked it and the reason why it works is because they have the classic section, the special menu for that dining room AND a section of the menu that changes every day. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tx121 said:

I have cruised NCL a lot and have always felt like their food has been excellent and a wide variety. It's actually been on RCI where I have felt the food options were limited in the past. 

I mean, maybe wait to experience NCL's new dining before slamming it? 

Also, NCL is the same as any cruiseline. They may charge some petty cash for a few "thrills" onboard like the VR room and laser tag, but everything else is the same as other cruiselines. In fact, I feel more nickel and dimed on Royal because they do not offer something similar as NCL's "Free at Sea".  Yeah, everything usually shakes out costing about the same, but it sure feels more nickel and dime-y to me on Royal vs NCL.  

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I don't feel that's entirely accurate. While it's true the MDR's on the new NCL ships will have the same menu, it will have more selections, along with specials every night. Their current menu is half the same and half new items so I don't feel this is a major hardship.

I've been on a lot of NCL cruises, and while I like the experience, I do feel they're starting to price themselves out of the mainstream market a little bit for some cruises.

In addition to what you said, most people have at least one specialty dining meal, and that also adds to the variety.

(I also agree with NCL prices, a little more expensive than usual for them, but I do love cruising with them, so I will probably continue to pay it) 

The world is changing and it will even change far more on the next years to come. If only the general first world remains as safe as it is today; I'd be content enough... As well as if only the mainstream cruise industry can adapt itself to those new days, I'd to be even happier!...

"Current MDR food is ugly!" This is the common mantra, mainstream industry wise these days, pretty much on every CC mainstream (and even a few above the mainstream lines) boards for quite a while from now. Post Covid crew shortages and occupancy discrepancies sailing to sailing take also a good part on what is affecting the general mainstream cruise experience. On top of that: Specialty dinning can only to handle a tiny 10-15% of all cruisers alike, unless the business model relies mostly on specialties like on NCL and pretty much everyone gets at least some specialty dinning experience on their basic fare. So, what? Just a tiny menu with a general offer which is the same everyday plus the specials of the day will be the norm for most of us, and that could pave the way for a nicer meal experience, industry wise, less crew needed, less food waste... NCL is doing it? MSC has been doing it since the post covid restart. Possibly even Carnival... One just need to go on their CC boards to notice it. Even the current RCI menus I'm watching these days on the live reviews seem shorter than they've been back in the day. At least they're far shorter than what I had on lady Allure when she first came to Europe some 6 years ago!...

Conclusion: One or the other way; the next years mainstream cruise will mean some less, and perhaps more simple choices, unless you're a suite guest or you're on those fortunate 10% or so willing to pay extra to a few more options. Sadly? Yes, but, at the current state of the art of the whole industry this is far better than nothing!... And it can pave the way for a relatively more stable quality experience.

I, for one, are very happy that NCL has made the changes that they have over the years.  They've revolutionized the industry.

And no, Specialty Dining is not the only factor influencing the perceived decline in the MDR.  Many factors, from food cost to streamlining supply chains are at issue.

And I, for one, don't mind paying for occasional dining in the Specialties.  Especially on NCL, where a number are included free with my status or with the payment of gratuities with the dining plans.  And I really don't want to go back to only set dining times, or very formal nights or rigid disembarkations or  any of the other innovations which they have rolled out over the years.

• Like 3

I don't think you can point the finger at NCL for all cruise lines cutting into the experience.  They all collectively involved with downgrading the experience in the name of expanding cruising to the masses.   

Mass market cruising is the result of years of subtle and not so subtle changes in the industry.  The blame is more at the hands of Wall Street investors than one cruise line trying to go there first.

Cruising is cheaper now adjusted for inflation than it was when the experience involved better this or that.  The mass market cruise industry is defined by the need for cheap cruises.  For those that want something more each brand has a line that offers more for a higher price.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, tx121 said:

I have never went on a cruise where the MDR menu was the same every day. NCL is rolling this out on their new ship soon.

Ok, a bit like many land based restaurants. I will reserve judgement untill I have tried it. If the daily menu has more choices, it could work well.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I don't think you can point the finger at NCL for all cruise lines cutting into the experience.  They all collectively involved with downgrading the experience in the name of expanding cruising to the masses.   

Mass market cruising is the result of years of subtle and not so subtle changes in the industry.  The blame is more at the hands of Wall Street investors than one cruise line trying to go there first.

Cruising is cheaper now adjusted for inflation than it was when the experience involved better this or that.  The mass market cruise industry is defined by the need for cheap cruises.  For those that want something more each brand has a line that offers more for a higher price.

That's it. If it wasn't for both the covid, that ugly war on Ukraine, and that possible even uglier war on Taiwan, and I'd bet that by 2030 pretty much every mainstream vessel to enter service would be on the 200k+ Gross Tonnes size, so that would be something on the RCI's Icon/Oasis class size and above. With current industry's state of the art I believe we will watch a refrain from said size to something on the 150-175k GT for the most part on the future fewer new builds... But, even those are among the biggest ones on the industry now, it's say Freedom or Quantum class to say the least!... At those sizes one must to make choices, and one of those will to be to have such a standardized experience, nice enough, but nothing really to write home about at the end of the day...

Yeah, one can blame Wall Street, but I wouldn't to buy that blame. At least cruising is now affordable at the point that, without pandemics or near be wars I could happily to cruise once a year or even more. If we only had those luxury 900 pax vessels I'd only be able to go once on a 5 years or once on 10... I prefer to go yearly!...

• Like 1

I liked DD on Anthem and system on Celebrity Edge, but they are VERY different.

DD on Anthem featured completely different menu in 4 restaurants. On Edge menu was the same in every restaurant (and changing daily just like on Royal in MDR), but with special section in each Italian, French etc based on restaurant. Special section never changed.

I much prefer Celebrity "free-style" to NCL free style, but pricing is also different.

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, BND said:

We loved DD on Anthem and was sad to see it go after our first cruise on her.

We also loved it.  We did it quite a few cruises, then it was gone.  We did a 12 nighter and the menu changed three times in each restaurant during the cruise.  Personally, I think Royal found it cost them too much money to keep Dynamic Dining!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We also loved it.  We did it quite a few cruises, then it was gone.  We did a 12 nighter and the menu changed three times in each restaurant during the cruise.  Personally, I think Royal found it cost them too much money to keep Dynamic Dining!

Maybe too many people wanted to eat in Grande nightly? 🙂

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

And too few in Silk.

That's it. An overbooked restaurant and a underused one on a limited structure like a ship paves the way for reputational risk on the company's part. They'll to avoid it as far as they can. The X model seems a good compromise on both classical and modern style cruise views.

Also, remember that this change is also going to be great for the staff. It is probably daunting to have so many dishes to memorize and make, I think having same menu will be a relief for the staff. I just keep thinking back to that episode of Schitt's Creek when they first arrive at the Paradise Diner and have that huge menu 😄

• Like 1