Am I understanding Covid requirements correctly?

I'm starting to look at Alaskan cruises for next year, and want to make sure I am understanding the Covid specific requirements correctly. I have not yet decided on a particular cruise line or specific cruise.

First, I understand that pretty much all of them are requiring vaccinations which are defined as 1 J&J or at least 2 of Pfizer/Moderna. The only exception I've seen so far is Celebrity Cruises, requiring a recent dose/booster within 180 days of the trip. The rest just require the two doses with no specific time or booster requirements.

The part I am a bit confused on is the testing requirements. 

• If the cruise begins in Canada:
    • Canada does not require testing for US citizens to fly into Vancouver, but a small percentage are selected at the airport for random testing. It looks like if this happens, you are given a kit to take home (or to your hotel/cruise) and complete via telemedicine? Can you bypass any of this by flying into Seattle and crossing into Vancouver by bus or train?
    • However, pre-cruise testing is required on all cruises so you'd have to compete this within the 2 or 3 day period prior to departure of cruise?
  • If the cruise begins in the US (Seattle or Alaska) but stops in Canada (which they all do):
    • You are still required to get tested pre-cruise due to the Canada stop, also 2-3 days prior to departure of cruise
    • Can you skip this by choosing not to get off while in Canada?

I am trying to decide what is the least amount of hassle for the group that will be going on this trip. Right now, I think that beginning in Canada is the most complicated due to the random testing upon arrival, but besides that it is basically the same no matter which itinerary is selected?

• Like 1

A lot can and will change by next year. I have no concern cruising out of Canada (Vancouver) this September. We (our extended family of 6) only need to pre-test 2 days before we board our RCI ship and have filled out the ArriveCan 72 hours prior to arrival at YVR. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ashland said:

A lot can and will change by next year. I have no concern cruising out of Canada (Vancouver) this September. We (our extended family of 6) only need to pre-test 2 days before we board our RCI ship and have filled out the ArriveCan 72 hours prior to arrival at YVR. 

I believe you also need to submit a second ArriveCan prior to boarding the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 3:08 PM, bchandler02 said:

I'm starting to look at Alaskan cruises for next year, and want to make sure I am understanding the Covid specific requirements correctly. I have not yet decided on a particular cruise line or specific cruise.

First, I understand that pretty much all of them are requiring vaccinations which are defined as 1 J&J or at least 2 of Pfizer/Moderna. The only exception I've seen so far is Celebrity Cruises, requiring a recent dose/booster within 180 days of the trip. The rest just require the two doses with no specific time or booster requirements.

The part I am a bit confused on is the testing requirements. 

• If the cruise begins in Canada:
    • Canada does not require testing for US citizens to fly into Vancouver, but a small percentage are selected at the airport for random testing. It looks like if this happens, you are given a kit to take home (or to your hotel/cruise) and complete via telemedicine? Can you bypass any of this by flying into Seattle and crossing into Vancouver by bus or train?
    • However, pre-cruise testing is required on all cruises so you'd have to compete this within the 2 or 3 day period prior to departure of cruise?
  • If the cruise begins in the US (Seattle or Alaska) but stops in Canada (which they all do):
    • You are still required to get tested pre-cruise due to the Canada stop, also 2-3 days prior to departure of cruise
    • Can you skip this by choosing not to get off while in Canada?

I am trying to decide what is the least amount of hassle for the group that will be going on this trip. Right now, I think that beginning in Canada is the most complicated due to the random testing upon arrival, but besides that it is basically the same no matter which itinerary is selected?

I concur with the others; in that I wouldn't pay too much attention, to current requirements, for a cruise next year. Almost guaranteed that they will change.

The requirement for arriving and/or cruising to Canada must be followed, even if you remain onboard. By being onboard you are in Canadian Waters, so have already arrived in Canada.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 4:00 PM, skybluewaters said:

I believe you also need to submit a second ArriveCan prior to boarding the ship.

Yes - if we leave from Seattle that is my understanding. We do not run a risk of "random" testing while sailing to/from Seattle even with a stop in Canada. 

On the flip side, if we were to sail out of Vancouver, we'd be subject to random testing due to arriving into Canada by Air, and would also have to fill out two (and possibly have two covid tests depending on dates of arrival to Canada vs date of departure on the ship). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 5:52 PM, bchandler02 said:

Yes - if we leave from Seattle that is my understanding. We do not run a risk of "random" testing while sailing to/from Seattle even with a stop in Canada. 

On the flip side, if we were to sail out of Vancouver, we'd be subject to random testing due to arriving into Canada by Air, and would also have to fill out two (and possibly have two covid tests depending on dates of arrival to Canada vs date of departure on the ship). 

I read that if you drive across the border, you may still be selected for random self testing with a tele proctor.  I had hoped that the random testing would stop again.unfortunately it is in place.  By next year, anything can happen.

On 8/13/2022 at 2:00 PM, skybluewaters said:

No, I don't think so. We will fill out the ArriveCan 72 hours before out flight to YVR landing day of cruise departure. Why would we need to fill out another one ??

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

No, I don't think so. We will fill out the ArriveCan 72 hours before out flight to YVR landing day of cruise departure. Why would we need to fill out another one ??

My understanding is that once you use the ArriveCan (which in your case would be for the flight arrival into YVR), it will be used for that purpose and will no longer be active.  In order to board the ship, a second ArriveCan will need to be filled out.  Sounds ridiculous, right?  But the whole mess is a bit ridiculous IMHO.

If you have originally indicated that you would like your passport/vaccination/etc. details to be saved on the app, it will only take 1-2 minutes to re-do the ArriveCan.

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

Because that is what you need to do.

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.6

Edited by d9704011

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Because that is what you need to do.

Entering Canada by land or air before embarking on a cruise

You must complete your ArriveCAN submission before entering Canada, no more than 72 hours of boarding your flight or before entering Canada by land.

• If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal.
  • If you’re not joining the cruise immediately, enter the address of your hotel.

You must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.6

Hmmm So are you saying I have to fill out two ArriveCan submission's even though I'm flying in day of cruise...Sorry that just sounds crazy and it's the first I've heard of this.

So fill out one before my flight and another one when I land ????

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm So are you saying I have to fill out two ArriveCan submission's even though I'm flying in day of cruise...Sorry that just sounds crazy and it's the first I've heard of this.

Read the instructions.  Have a nice trip.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Clearly ridiculous, but unfortunately that what our lovely Government published. It is less than an hour from YVR to Canada Place, but they require a 2nd submission on the same day. Typical bureaucratic largess.

Here is a link to the requirements

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#entering-canada-before

56 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Clearly ridiculous, but unfortunately that what our lovely Government published. It is less than an hour from YVR to Canada Place, but they require a 2nd submission on the same day. Typical bureaucratic largess.

Here is a link to the requirements

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#entering-canada-before

Thank you...But it is ridiculous...especially as we put our phones on airplane mode before we leave LAX and don't turn them on until we get back...not sure how we'll manage this ????

We've arranged private transportation for our extended family of six to get us from YVR to Canada Place upon arrival.

So will I be able to submit another ArrivCan (considering I can figure out how to manage this now) from the Canada Place terminal before we board ???

This is getting so stressful and this info on a 2nd submission is new info for us !!! I had NO idea !

What happens if we can't/don't meet this 2nd submission requirement ????

Will we have to do a 3rd submission when we arrive back into Canada from our Alaska cruise before we can fly home (USA) day that cruise ends ??

I'm almost sorry now we even booked this cruise to leave out of Vancouver !!!

Edited by Ashland

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

Thank you...But it is ridiculous...especially as we put our phones on airplane mode before we leave LAX and don't turn them on until we get back...not sure how we'll manage this ????

We've arranged private transportation for our extended family of six to get us from YVR to Canada Place upon arrival.

So will I be able to submit another ArrivCan (considering I can figure out how to manage this now) from the Canada Place terminal before we board ???

This is getting so stressful and this info on a 2nd submission is new info for us !!! I had NO idea !

What happens if we can't/don't meet this 2nd submission requirement ????

Will we have to do a 3rd submission when we arrive back into Canada from our Alaska cruise before we can fly home (USA) day that cruise ends ??

I'm almost sorry now we even booked this cruise to leave out of Vancouver !!!

Read the instructions.  Where does it say that you have to be in Canada to complete ArriveCAN prior to boarding the cruise ship?  Just do it before you leave home.  As for a third submission, if the cruise is a round trip, then not required.

• Like 1

• "If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal."

What part of this sentence do you not understand?  You're going directly to your cruise, therefore enter Canada Place as your cruise terminal.  Only required to do the one ArriveCan.

Edited by cruiseryyc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Read the instructions.  Where does it say that you have to be in Canada to complete ArriveCAN prior to boarding the cruise ship?  Just do it before you leave home.  As for a third submission, if the cruise is a round trip, then not required.

I'm sorry you have "Misread" my post.  Of Course I'll submit the ArrivCan within 72 hours of boarding my flight from LAX-YVR before I leave home. 

Where I'm now confused is the info (posted) that I will have to submit another form when I arrive into Canada even if I'm arriving easily within that 72 hours and going directly to my ship.

Yes...my cruise is a round trip from Vancouver. So thanks for answering that part of my post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseryyc said:
  • "If you’re flying in to join a cruise immediately, enter the address of your terminal."

What part of this sentence do you not understand?  You're going directly to your cruise, therefore enter Canada Place as your cruise terminal.  Only required to do the one ArriveCan.

ou must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

This is where the (my) confusion is ????

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ashland said:

ou must also submit a second ArriveCAN submission no more than 72 hours before boarding the cruise. This applies even if your second ArriveCAN submission is within 72 hours of the first submission.

This is where the (my) confusion is ????

I don't agree with the interpretation that @cruiseryyc has provided about the need for a second ArriveCAN submission.  The way I see it is that you need:

1.  The first submission to come to Canada by air.  You have indicated that you've no problem with that;

2.  A second submission in advance of boarding the cruise ship.  Even though you are arriving in Vancouver and boarding shortly (a few hours I suppose) after arrival.  This is a different ArriveCAN activity than flying in and just because it's within the 72 hour timeframe doesn't mean the first submission covers this off.  

The first submission is for entry to Canada, the second is for boarding the ship (and returning to Canada).

Don't forget you all need a covid test prior to boarding.

If you can't do both ArriveCAN submissions prior to leaving LAX (perhaps the application will not permit this, I don't know), I suggest you turn your phone on in Vancouver and pay the daily roaming fee to ensure you conplete the necessary ArriveCAN applications.  You've already spent enough time, energy and money on all of this so that an extr $10 or so to ensure you are OK is well worth it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don't agree with the interpretation that @cruiseryyc has provided about the need for a second ArriveCAN submission.  The way I see it is that you need:

1.  The first submission to come to Canada by air.  You have indicated that you've no problem with that;

2.  A second submission in advance of boarding the cruise ship.  Even though you are arriving in Vancouver and boarding shortly (a few hours I suppose) after arrival.  This is a different ArriveCAN activity than flying in and just because it's within the 72 hour timeframe doesn't mean the first submission covers this off.  

The first submission is for entry to Canada, the second is for boarding the ship (and returning to Canada).

Don't forget you all need a covid test prior to boarding.

If you can't do both ArriveCAN submissions prior to leaving LAX (perhaps the application will not permit this, I don't know), I suggest you turn your phone on in Vancouver and pay the daily roaming fee to ensure you conplete the necessary ArriveCAN applications.  You've already spent enough time, energy and money on all of this so that an extr $10 or so to ensure you are OK is well worth it.

How nice it would be to do both ArriveCan before we leave ... just confusing that we need one to arrive AND one to board the ship arriving into Canada and boarding the ship in under two hours.

Yes we're all vaxed and will each have our negative test (hard copies in hand) results done within 24 hours of boarding the ship.

As I've prepared for this cruise (booked long before some of this ArrivCan policy) I completely understood the requirement to submit it 72 hours before arriving. However what's new is the need to do a 2nd one within the same 72 hours. Sorry some of you don't understand the confusion that has just popped up at least for us. Especially since we do everything on a desktop or laptop ... never on our iPhone. Just old school which some of you really don't/can't/care to understand.

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Especially since we do everything on a desktop or laptop ... never on our iPhone. Just old school which some of you really don't/can't/care to understand.

No need to be rude, especially when somebody has tried to explain the requirement for ArriveCAN submissions, which is what the confusion was/is about.  Whether you use a cell phone, tablet, PC or semaphore is not the issue... those are only the means of doing it.  Enjoy yourself.

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

No need to be rude, especially when somebody has tried to explain the requirement for ArriveCAN submissions, which is what the confusion was/is about.  Whether you use a cell phone, tablet, PC or semaphore is not the issue... those are only the means of doing it.  Enjoy yourself.

WOW...Assuming I'm being "rude" absolutely unnecessary !!! But thanks for that !!!

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

WOW...Assuming I'm being "rude" absolutely unnecessary !!! But thanks for that !!!

Well, Ashland, THANK YOU so much for getting this 2nd ArriveCAN requirement clarified. Though I've followed (I thought) specific requirements and thought I understood everything, I hadn't noted that after arrival at an airport hotel I'll need to do the 2nd ArriveCAN. No one on the Celebrity boards has been talking of this, at least I hadn't seen it. Have a good cruise! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, d9704011 said:

If you can't do both ArriveCAN submissions prior to leaving LAX (perhaps the application will not permit this, I don't know)

ArriveCan allows only one submission at a time.  As soon as you fill in a new submission, the previous one is erased. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, heatescapee said:

Well, Ashland, THANK YOU so much for getting this 2nd ArriveCAN requirement clarified. Though I've followed (I thought) specific requirements and thought I understood everything, I hadn't noted that after arrival at an airport hotel I'll need to do the 2nd ArriveCAN. No one on the Celebrity boards has been talking of this, at least I hadn't seen it. Have a good cruise! 

Thank you, so much for responding. This need for a 2nd submission considering our day of cruise arrival into Canada  has completely caught me off guard. I also thought I understood the Canada policy...apparently not.

Very disappointed that with same day arrivals and going directly to Canada Place is less than two hours of entering their country and boarding a cruise ship, that Canada is making things so confusing and difficult for some to manage.

So glad my persistent questions (annoying obviously to some and mistaken for rudeness by one poster) has helped you too. I very much appreciate the help posters have given me and the time they've taken to clarify this whole situation.

You have a great cruise too.