Tips on how to survive the “new”Seabourn

Love Sea Days

6 hours ago, alidor said:

This was the only second time in my life I’ve gotten seasick, so I didn’t see a need to get seasick pills!

I think crossing oceans can be quite different from other cruises.  We crossed the Bering Sea on Sojourn.  The doors to decks were chained and locked. It was rocky.  We brought provisions for seasickness (as we do on every cruise) and we used them.  But, my husband did not use them soon enough.  Its important to use them just as soon as you get an inkling that the sea may be really rough.  Usually the captain or other officers will give a warning about that.  My husband was a bit too macho and didn't think he would need to take anything.  He regretted that later.  I tried to tell him....

Edited by SLSD
  • Haha 1

Anyone taking a cruise without sea sickness tablets is foolhardy.     I always travel with them.   Captain Peter Jackson, one time commodore of Cunard, said anyone can get sea sick.   He said he most often felt the effect when he changed ships as it took a while for his body to get used to that vessel’s movements.   Once you are sick it’s too late for remedies.   

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:28 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Anyone taking a cruise without sea sickness tablets is foolhardy.     I always travel with them.   Captain Peter Jackson, one time commodore of Cunard, said anyone can get sea sick.   He said he most often felt the effect when he changed ships as it took a while for his body to get used to that vessel’s movements.   Once you are sick it’s too late for remedies.   

We don't!

But we have travelled on a car ferry through the Bay of Biscay in March, with one of the worst crossings ever told us by the ferry company.  It was like sleeping in a washing machine and I was thrown out of bed at one point.  If we can cope with that, we can cope with anything!  I do think some people just don't get seasick.  I might be eating my words at some point of course. 

I just want to add my two penneth to the views expressed on Seabourn.  We did a cruise on Encore in July/August and couldn't find fault with anything.  We had breakfast on the patio deck every morning and the wait staff knew from day one what our preferences were.  We didn't have to ask what we wanted; as soon as they saw us arriving, our tea and cold and hot water arrived without delay.  The food was excellent and the second week was fantastic - we went to a classical concert in the Ephesus Ampitheatre.  The organisation by Seabourn was brilliant; 14 coaches getting us there and back and after the concert, we arrived back at the quay to all the crew welcoming us 'back home'.  The 14 day cruise went without a hitch and we would recommend Seabourn to anyone.  As previous posters have said, there are always hitches here and there, but we were very lucky that some of the crew remembered us (which we think makes a difference) and those that we met for the first time knew, again after day one what type of drinks we liked with lunch and dinner and we wish we were back on Encore now!!!

• Like 2

You were lucky to be on Encore; she seems to be of all the ships at present the best staffed, and therefore just like the old Seabourn we love.

One or two of the others have had and are still having problems with enough and enough trained staff which is a shame.  They will get there eventually, but in the meantime it is  not helping with the Seabourn good name, especially for anyone new to the line.

2 hours ago, motone said:

I just want to add my two penneth to the views expressed on Seabourn.  We did a cruise on Encore in July/August and couldn't find fault with anything.  We had breakfast on the patio deck every morning and the wait staff knew from day one what our preferences were.  We didn't have to ask what we wanted; as soon as they saw us arriving, our tea and cold and hot water arrived without delay.  The food was excellent and the second week was fantastic - we went to a classical concert in the Ephesus Ampitheatre.  The organisation by Seabourn was brilliant; 14 coaches getting us there and back and after the concert, we arrived back at the quay to all the crew welcoming us 'back home'.  The 14 day cruise went without a hitch and we would recommend Seabourn to anyone.  As previous posters have said, there are always hitches here and there, but we were very lucky that some of the crew remembered us (which we think makes a difference) and those that we met for the first time knew, again after day one what type of drinks we liked with lunch and dinner and we wish we were back on Encore now!!!

Exactly the same experience for me on my two weeks on Encore in August.

Nothing to complain about only praise for all of the crew.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

You were lucky to be on Encore; she seems to be of all the ships at present the best staffed, and therefore just like the old Seabourn we love.

One or two of the others have had and are still having problems with enough and enough trained staff which is a shame.  They will get there eventually, but in the meantime it is  not helping with the Seabourn good name, especially for anyone new to the line.

Have just caught up with this topic and did have a cruise on 

2 minutes ago, scotjos said:
4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Have just caught up with this topic and am pleased to see that my experience on Sojourn in June is not replicated  on other ships. This was the second leg of Sojourn's return to the sea and it felt like it should have been used as a training voyage in many ways. Although the Cruise Director did a splendid job there were service problems that I had not experienced before on Seabourn. I was reluctant to go on another Seabourn trip but had decided that I would try another ship and as it happens I have booked for anther trip this time on Encore . From the reviews it appears that that should present less problems so I am hopeful. I am a solo travel so appreciate when there are hosted tables but these were not possible on Sojourn in June.

Our first Seabourn cruise will be next year on Quest, which seems to have a lot of negative posts. At this point, with the amount of time before our cruise, I have faith that it will be back to the standards you all love by then. Fingers crossed. 
For what it is worth, Service issues seem to be across the board so to speak on many well thought of Cruise Lines. I am reading a lot of posts that have dissatisfied customers who are echoing a lot what I am reading here. 
That  said, in my opinion, cruise lines need to get their arms around all these issues, and fairly quickly. Those that do will remain the most successful in repeat bookings. Loyalty can only go so far. 

I will be cruising on the Encore in 5 weeks or so.  To my fellow guests can I apologise up front. You see I am from Scotland and obviously (based on comments from a pair of English Idiots on this thread) I will have a complete lack of class! Thankfully the many lovely English friends I have met on cruises over the years have managed to put up with me. To make it easier for you all to avoid me I will wear a tartan hat and eat shortbread, haggis and drink copious amounts of whisky while whistling Oh Flower of Scotland.

• Haha 6

On 9/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, Dunnedg said:

I will be cruising on the Encore in 5 weeks or so.  To my fellow guests can I apologise up front. You see I am from Scotland and obviously (based on comments from a pair of English Idiots on this thread) I will have a complete lack of class! Thankfully the many lovely English friends I have met on cruises over the years have managed to put up with me. To make it easier for you all to avoid me I will wear a tartan hat and eat shortbread, haggis and drink copious amounts of whisky while whistling Oh Flower of Scotland.

Love the Scots and always seek them out on cruises. Kilt or no kilt. 😉

Learned all about the Duke of Wellingtons dunce cap. Still laughing.