Any recent experience with corkage fees on MDR on FOTS? Bring on same wine as amenity options?

SAmome

Probably overthinking it but think I've read they are more consistently charging the fees; may vary by ship.  

Is there any marker on the gift wines to let them know it shouldn't be charged a corkage fee?  Was thinking about bringing a bottle of the same type from amenity list in case less likely to incur corkage fee.

6 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

It used to be your Waiter who will ring it up on your seapass account, just like ordering a mixed drink.

Really?

If my server tried that

I would implement the Gratuity recovery fee..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Really?

If my server tried that

I would implement the Gratuity recovery fee..

That's not exactly how it happened (past tense).  They would notify you at the table when you presented your wine to be opened that there would be a corkage fee and how much it was.  If you chose to have your wine opened at the table and pay the corkage, you would present your seapass to be charged for the fee and sign the slip.  This process was not done behind your back.  

1 minute ago, Wineaux007 said:

That's not exactly how it happened (past tense).  They would notify you at the table when you presented your wine to be opened that there would be a corkage fee and how much it was.  If you chose to have your wine opened at the table and pay the corkage, you would present your seapass to be charged for the fee and sign the slip.  This process was not done behind your back.  

I never thought he was going to sneak the charge.

But would let him know when he attempts to charge my account..

In 60+ cruises we have never been charged a corkage fee and  12 of those cruises have been since August. 

One time years ago,  the waiter looked at our bottle of wine and asked if I knew there was supposed to be a corkage fee and I replied yes , I am  aware of that.  He did not mention it again and did not charge us.😂

Sherri🙂

Not sure where you're hearing of this happening more and more lately. I haven't read even one single post where anybody said they got charged.

If your solution is to bring on wine that you can already get on the ship, then you may as well just buy it on the ship. The wine they gift people is cheap wine. A big part of the reason to bring your own is to have better wine.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SAmome said:

Probably overthinking it but think I've read they are more consistently charging the fees; may vary by ship.  

Is there any marker on the gift wines to let them know it shouldn't be charged a corkage fee?  Was thinking about bringing a bottle of the same type from amenity list in case less likely to incur corkage fee.

We have brought plenty of wine into the MDR over the last 20 years and have never been charged or  seen anyone pay a corkage fee.  Several times we have brought Champagne and they supply a ice bucket but never a charge.   

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

So I’m thinking I could get a couple of wine glasses for the room, pour one for each of us, go to dinner, drink them both myself as hubby doesn’t drink wine.  👍😁

Take your bottle to dinner and they will store it for you if you don't finish it. Next night it will be on the table waiting.