Captain cook ,white bay ferry.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I emailed them and It doesn’t look as if they are going to resume the service, the boat is doing something else.

I hope something pops up .

They weren't making any money with it, even during the good times. 

16 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They weren't making any money with it, even during the good times. 

Apparently so.

I wasn’t the most economical and best service but it was something.

It really needs some kind of regular service. You would think sydney ports would put something on.

• Like 1

Yes, sadly I contacted them too and they said they don't run the service, and it is not known if they will resume by November (when we go on Westerdam).

Does anyone know if HAL run a shuttle from Central station? IF no, approx taxi fare is it better to go from Central or one of the stations less busy towards Circular Quay?

Central for taxi. Easy for rolling luggage. Wynyard might be a minute closer, but a bit more work with luggage.

Not much difference in price between a taxi vs two shuttle tickets if they do have one. We take a shuttle post cruise from White Bay if they have one though, as the cab queues are typically long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some news .

It looks like Sydney metro west will have a metro station called `the bays’  that will service white bay cruise terminal ,I believe.

It will be a kilometre and about 10-15 minutes walk. Still inconvenient with bags.

But it will have a bus interchange as it’s on the west connect and buses will probably do a loop past the cruise terminal.

So catch the metro from central to the bays and hopefully there’s a bus.

B83BE0B7-C337-4FEC-8455-7341900CD5BB.thumb.png.e57c05b3f2b510e73b48e98cb7d1b46e.png

It says it will serve the white bay promenade ,north to south.

The whole area looks like it’s going to developed .

It’s a bit of a walk to the station,1,000 metres or so . It will have a stop at Barangaroo,Martin place and central.

It will make white bay worth more if they decide to sell it .

On 8/15/2022 at 5:20 PM, MicCanberra said:

A shame, if only more people used it, then it would have been worth it.

Not really when we used it  there were 3 of us on board for the journey and then has almost a km to walk along bad roads pulling luggage   I could not even manage that now  Taxi for me always  and if from Wynyard or Town hall very cheap

On 8/18/2022 at 6:32 PM, Sallyandtex said:

Yes, sadly I contacted them too and they said they don't run the service, and it is not known if they will resume by November (when we go on Westerdam).

Does anyone know if HAL run a shuttle from Central station? IF no, approx taxi fare is it better to go from Central or one of the stations less busy towards Circular Quay?

taxi fair about $28 to central

50 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Not really when we used it  there were 3 of us on board for the journey and then has almost a km to walk along bad roads pulling luggage   I could not even manage that now  Taxi for me always  and if from Wynyard or Town hall very cheap

I agree. I haven't used the ferry but I wouldn't even think about it. Taxi or ship's transfer for us.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 8:12 AM, Chiliburn said:

It won’t be operational for a few years but here’s the progress on the bays metro station.

I think it’s walkable to white bay cruise terminal especially if there’s a nice promenade to walk along.

thank you  the bays metro station roselle station will be handy.  when my daughter lived at drummoyne we used to do what they called the bay run.  we also used to walk in to the city via the waterfront past the cruise terminal.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:12 AM, Chiliburn said:

It won’t be operational for a few years but here’s the progress on the bays metro station.

I think it’s walkable to white bay cruise terminal especially if there’s a nice promenade to walk along.

It would be a good kilometre or more from the station to White Bay terminal and pushing luggage would be a challenge. Doable perhaps but not easily, especially at your /our  age.   I suspect there would be some sort of shuttle service provided by cruise lines possibly. 
Please, no suggestions of water slides chair lifts or moving footways . 😁

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

It would be a good kilometre or more from the station to White Bay terminal and pushing luggage would be a challenge. Doable perhaps but not easily, especially at your /our  age.   I suspect there would be some sort of shuttle service provided by cruise lines possibly. 

Last night I almost got run over by passengers guiding their luggage on those special wheels as they hurried to express pickup at Sydney Airport.  Seemed a long way but don't know how far.  

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Hey you’re the man ,Water slide,I didn’t even think about it Graham.

Google maps says about 960 meters or a kilometre. We all need a bit of exercise.

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

thank you  the bays metro station roselle station will be handy.  when my daughter lived at drummoyne we used to do what they called the bay run.  we also used to walk in to the city via the waterfront past the cruise terminal.

My daughter is a engineer for transport N.S.W and the whole line should be open around 2030 but the city section should be open around 2027.

Just now, Chiliburn said:

My daughter is a engineer for transport N.S.W and the whole line should be open around 2030 but the city section should be open around 2027.

That is interesting as one of my daughters is an engineer, so I have learnt to view things through different eyes.  I'm always surprised at how long major infrastructure takes and the cost!  Then, when it is finished, you wonder how you coped without it.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That is interesting as one of my daughters is an engineer, so I have learnt to view things through different eyes.  I'm always surprised at how long major infrastructure takes and the cost!  Then, when it is finished, you wonder how you coped without it.  

The interesting thing I find about it. Is it’s the biggest public transport project in Australia and the trains are made in China.

Every detail about it has to be cross checked and signed off by a company in China that’s controlled by you know who.

51 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The interesting thing I find about it. Is it’s the biggest public transport project in Australia and the trains are made in China.

Every detail about it has to be cross checked and signed off by a company in China that’s controlled by you know who.

Hopefully Australia will move away from buying the cheapest from China and look at the big picture re full employment.  

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, gbenjo said:

suggestions of water slides chair lifts or moving footways . 😁

I’m really interested in this idea of a waterslide of yours  Graham.
So how would it work with the Opel card ?

The metro would have a lift up to a platform for the water slide to the cruise terminal.

Would you have to tap off and tap on ?

No , hang on ,it would be a transfer , just tap off at white bay cruise terminal.

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m really interested in this idea of a waterslide of yours  Graham.
So how would it work with the Opel card ?

The metro would have a lift up to a platform for the water slide to the cruise terminal.

Would you have to tap off and tap on ?

No , hang on ,it would be a transfer , just tap off at white bay cruise terminal.

You would need to be accompanied by an adult.

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2022 at 7:23 AM, MMDown Under said:

Hopefully Australia will move away from buying the cheapest from China and look at the big picture re full employment.  

Sorry to say it, but the principle of local production didn't work well with the Collins-class subs. 🙂 We have virtually full employment now. Many businesses are short of staff.

When using White Bay we train to Town Hall where there are lifts to get to the road and then taxi to White Bay and it is a short journey about $20 (for 2 persons)  when Captain Cook was running it was $9 each and the very long walk dragging cases.