Have you used a travel agent after booking to help you with a Viking River Cruise?

TBOTZON

We are going on a Viking River Cruise and I was researching seating and I came across a blog posting of a travel agent that went into detail about the seating on the boats. The blog mentioned people can use the travel agent after booking with Viking and they can offer more perks. I called and they said we could get a $200 voucher per room to use on Viking and they would monitor our flights throughout our trip. I also got some other advise while I was on the phone.

When I brought it up to my agent before putting down the deposit she got upset and said the travel agent was just trying to sell themselves and she did not agree about their advise on the add on air plus that he felt was important. She was pressuring me to pay the deposit immediately and I was in my veterinarians office with my sick pet 😒 she was angry and  I told her I would get back as soon as I was done. I ended up paying the deposit but the whole thing made me wonder who to believe.

I called another travel agent and he sounded like he could not offer a voucher but he felt the Air Plus recommendation was not that important and we had plenty of time anyway. Now he wants to take care of us and he feels the other agent may not be as knowledgeable to help us. 

Thoughts?

I’m a little confused…do you mean you brought up to the Viking rep that you were considering handing over the reservation to an outside TA?  You should be free to do that even after paying the deposit.  If you’re asking if you can change the rez from one TA to another, I’ve never done that.  But I do know I wouldn’t do any business with someone behaving angrily or pressuring me.  I don’t understand what you mean about the air.

I actually don't know Viking's rules as far as moving reservations after booking. Is there a specific time limit - I know ocean cruises allow you to do this within "x" amount of days.

BTW - I always find value in using my Travel Agent over booking direct with the cruise lines. My agent is associated with a "group" that allows extra benefits. It is often extra OBC, etc... Travel agents can also add additional value by offering different insurance, and offer things booking direct can not such as assistance with hotels, air, etc....

I value the expertise in travel agents, the value they provide and often they overall cost is less than booking direct. It helps to have someone on your side when you are spending $$$$ on a vacation. Things happen, things can go wrong - I want someone working for me to help me.

I am sorry you felt pressured to put a deposit down. I would have walked away at that point.  Next time work with someone who isn't pressuring you to put a deposit down when you are with a sick family member!

• Like 2

Sorry it is only clear in my brain I guess!

I told her that we were going to book and all of us had already put down the deposit except me that is why she called to get my deposit. I had already asked previously if we could use a travel agent after we book and she had said yes.

I told her I had talked to one and that is when things took a turn. I am not sure what happened to set her off. Maybe she felt he was not knowledgeable about the Air Plus and how Viking handles flights. She did say what he was saying was prior to Covid. I told her I would call when I got home to pay the deposit. It was tense. When we spoke again she was fine 🙄

So it seems like even if I do not use him it would be beneficial to have a travel agent. The second one just sent an email they could provide a $300 voucher per person and they work heavily with Viking. 

Has anyone done this and feel it is worthwhile?

I agree that a travel agent can be of a help.  If nothing else they will offer an OBC which the Viking Agent cannot do.  They can also do as you mentioned as far as monitoring your flights, etc.  Don't know why a Viking agent would have a problem with you talking to a travel agent - unless the Viking agent gets some type of "commission" if they book it first versus the travel agent booking it first.

Stan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, travelingman said:

I agree that a travel agent can be of a help.  If nothing else they will offer an OBC which the Viking Agent cannot do.  They can also do as you mentioned as far as monitoring your flights, etc.  Don't know why a Viking agent would have a problem with you talking to a travel agent - unless the Viking agent gets some type of "commission" if they book it first versus the travel agent booking it first.

Stan

I am guessing the Viking agent gets a commission.

14 minutes ago, Coral said:

I actually don't know Viking's rules as far as moving reservations after booking. Is there a specific time limit - I know ocean cruises allow you to do this within "x" amount of days.

It appears you can transfer within 60 days of booking.

• Like 1

In her defense she did work hard to find us discounted room tickets and she also gave me and our group a referral bonus when other Viking reps did not offer that when I spoke to them. I assume she gets the money for booking us but maybe it is transferred? I hope not,  If that is the case that would explain her anger.

Or maybe I am just a pain in the ars with all my questions and she wants it done!

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am guessing the Viking agent gets a commission.

Of course Viking always marches to a different drummer, but on most cruise lines the '800' reps do not get commissions and their performance reviews are not affected by bookings they make getting moved to a travel agent later.  It seems to me that the best approach is (1) do your research in enough detail that you know all that a consumer can know [if you're reading this you're already on CC, so good first step!], (2) book direct with the cruise line to get any further advice and clarifications from their agents [who often will know less than you at this point], and (3) then transfer the booking to a travel agent who will add their own advice and experience plus share some of their commission with you. 

• Like 3

For my last trip, I transferred over to a TA after booking with Viking..  The TA helped with selecting travel insurance and booking a pre-cruise hotel.  They did not offer any OBC or any other benefits.

Well things are getting weirder for me. I read the recommendations on getting a travel agent on this forum and looked up an agent with all 3 qualifications recommended. They basically said they could do nothing but rebook the whole trip which she did not recommend. Then she indicated what the other two agents who offered OBC were actually giving "rebates" and they could lose their license. She was not very friendly about all of it.

The travel agents that offered the OBC are advertising it on the internet. I would think if it was illegal so to speak they would not be putting it online?

3 minutes ago, TBOTZON said:

Well things are getting weirder for me. I read the recommendations on getting a travel agent on this forum and looked up an agent with all 3 qualifications recommended. They basically said they could do nothing but rebook the whole trip which she did not recommend. Then she indicated what the other two agents who offered OBC were actually giving "rebates" and they could lose their license. She was not very friendly about all of it.

The travel agents that offered the OBC are advertising it on the internet. I would think if it was illegal so to speak they would not be putting it online?

I agree with your thoughts.  When we booked a Viking Ocean cruise a few years ago, our TA was able to give us a huge rebate [10%] – but Viking changed the rules later and this is no longer possible.  But they do still allow small rebates, and I'm guessing the few hundred you were promised fits the new policy.

As I posted above, I don't think the Viking rep will lose anything if you pay the deposit with her and then transfer the booking to this TA to get the rebate.  But do be aware that once you transfer a booking to a TA they 'own' it and if you later sour on their service it will be hard to get the booking back or deal direct with Viking about it.

Keep in mind that vouchers probably are just for onboard expenses, not a reduction in the cruise fare.  I’m not sure what there is to spend it on when sailing on Viking.  On other lines it can be used for laundry, gift shop or spa.  Just going online and searching for a TA is probably not ideal.  Usually word of mouth between friends and acquaintances will yield a higher quality TA with whom you can build a relationship and use for all your travel.  

Your posts are a little confusing but if it’s the Viking rep who is unfriendly, unyielding and so rude there’s no way I would take this cruise.  Too much bad Karma.  Can you just cancel and apply the deposit to another sailing?

22 minutes ago, TBOTZON said:

Since I am new to this what are some things that could "sour"? 😙

I have had very good luck with TAs, but there are horror stories here about TAs who never get back to you, fail to get you price reductions, and in general act as a major block to getting anything done.  This applies to both internet TAs, who are sometimes just order takers who forget about you once they get the booking, and small local TAs, who may be overwhelmed or completely lacking in knowledge of the issues you care about.  OTOH when you find a good TA it's great to have somebody in your corner in case things go upside down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have our favorite Viking representative and our favorite TA to use. We frequently book directly and then transfer.The first TA gets the commission. 
I know the layout of the ships and it’s easier to get the cabin we prefer especially when the choices are limited. I almost always book our air - we usually go early and stay late. If we use Viking air I use a TA to make sure we don’t get awful connections from our small town airport.