Shame on Princess - Covid Testing Requirements Clear as Mud!

cruiserdf

What about a 2nd booster?  On the website it says a 2nd booster not needed, but then it says if the last covid vaccine is over 270, another is needed.  What?  I had my booster last September 21

Has anyone who has sailed from Southampton not had a 2nd booster?   If so, was it questioned? 

15 minutes ago, Level six said:

What about a 2nd booster?  On the website it says a 2nd booster not needed, but then it says if the last covid vaccine is over 270, another is needed.  What?  I had my booster last September 21

Has anyone who has sailed from Southampton not had a 2nd booster?   If so, was it questioned? 

No... try this.  If 270 days will have past since your standard course of vaccine shots by voyage end date, then you need a booster.  Once you have had a booster, the 270 day rule no longer matters and you are good to go.  Of course you may have a 2nd booster, but never required. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, palolake said:
6 hours ago, Ombud said:

In my case, I received an email today (14 days before boarding) that spelled it out in clear concise wording. Printed off the email and stick it in my carryon

What does it mean?

Read it yourself: self administered / just attest20220821_021851.thumb.jpg.0ead6d979c76d8d24726d227c907fd4d.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Read it yourself: self administered / just attest20220821_021851.thumb.jpg.0ead6d979c76d8d24726d227c907fd4d.jpg

Strange isn’t it that our cruise is before yours and yet we’ve received nothing - no email about vaccine and test requirements, only emails regarding shows onboard and yet others sailing in the last couple of weeks from Southampton said to expect an email 🤨.  Perhaps Princess have already adopted the procedures due to start on 6th Sept i.e. only notifying those on special voyages 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

Appreciate you posting this and it may be clear and correct on the testing requirement, but it also contains other statements that are either not all true or not followed by Princess.  Namely:

The App is not required to board.  The Health screening can be done at check-in.

It is not necessary to select an Arrival Time in the App.

It is also interesting that apparently not everyone is getting these communications.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No... try this.  If 270 days will have past since your standard course of vaccine shots by voyage end date, then you need a booster.  Once you have had a booster, the 270 day rule no longer matters and you are good to go.  Of course you may have a 2nd booster, but never required. 

That's an EU requirement not a Princess requirement.  I think that's where some get hung up, expecting all countries to have adopted 1 universal rule and they haven't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Appreciate you posting this and it may be clear and correct on the testing requirement, but it also contains other statements that are either not all true or not followed by Princess.  Namely:

The App is not required to board.  The Health screening can be done at check-in. i personally found both the mc app & ArriveCan extremely easy after the initial roll out. It can even be done on the website now so a non-issue (yes, 1st cruise back 8/21 rough but smooth on subsequent ones. Wonder if its a little of fear of unknown)

It is not necessary to select an Arrival Time in the App. if you don't request one it will be assigned just like pre-covid

It is also interesting that apparently not everyone is getting these communications.  it's just the final pre-boarding email

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

That's an EU requirement not a Princess requirement.  I think that's where some get hung up, expecting all countries to have adopted 1 universal rule and they haven't. 

Yes, I know, but Princess does subscribe to it for Europe sector.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, I know, but Princess does subscribe to it for Europe sector.

Exactly.  And I've got 2 EU stops: Ringaskiddy, IR (for Cobh) & Azores. Last Southampton cruise only had Ireland

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The App is not required to board.  The Health screening can be done at check-in. i personally found both the mc app & ArriveCan extremely easy after the initial roll out. It can even be done on the website now so a non-issue (yes, 1st cruise back 8/21 rough but smooth on subsequent ones. Wonder if its a little of fear of unknown)

It is not necessary to select an Arrival Time in the App. if you don't request one it will be assigned just like pre-covid

It is also interesting that apparently not everyone is getting these communications.  it's just the final pre-boarding email

Yes, the App has been pretty good for me in recent months, but it isn't for everyone.  It currently has major bug(s) for ordering MedallionNet and DMW can be flaky at times. 

If a guest doesn't use the App, they would have no idea of which assigned Arrival Group, nor even if one had been assigned (I am aware of the Princess-speak on this subject).  Also, we on here all know that the whole concept is bogus and folks just show up and check-in at their convenience as it used to be.  And, regardless of Arrival Group, Suites, Elites can show up anytime and wait in pre-boarding designated area for priority boarding.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It currently has major bug(s) for ordering MedallionNet and DMW can be flaky at times. 

If a guest doesn't use the App, they would have no idea of which assigned Arrival Group, nor even if one had been assigned

Yeah I don't use DMW as it never worked for me. I show up the 1st day, pre-order dinner & then I'm asked what time I plan on eating. Finally if I prefer to eat solo or share. (2 top) Always get the same Head Waiter & table (or next one over). He needs to know where to bring the next day menus.  Here's hoping it continues that way

Everyone that I've spoken to onboard who did not request an arrival time was assigned one by deck and notified in that final email we get a week or two before boarding. It is not Princess-speak. It seems to be a default. Also if you use Princess shuttle, it's whatever time the shuttle gets there (never use shuttle in SeaTac.  It sucks)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yeah I don't use DMW as it never worked for me. I show up the 1st day, pre-order dinner & then I'm asked what time I plan on eating. Finally if I prefer to eat solo or share. (2 top) Always get the same Head Waiter & table (or next one over). He needs to know where to bring the next day menus.  Here's hoping it continues that way

Everyone that I've spoken to onboard who did not request an arrival time was assigned one by deck and notified in that final email we get a week or two before boarding. It is not Princess-speak. It seems to be a default. Also if you use Princess shuttle, it's whatever time the shuttle gets there (never use shuttle in SeaTac.  It sucks)

Thanks for the detailed info on what guests are sent in terms of an expected arrival situation.

They used to have suggested times by deck location.  Seems like the system is defaulting back to that.  Of course that is something quite arbitrary and patently unfair as you have guests supposedly shunted to the back of the line simply based on where they happened to select a cabin and this preventing them from opportunity to get on board and book things they want - presuming they could arrive earlier for check-in.  Of course, I realize this is also moot since folks can arrive and check-in at their convenience.  Anyway, nice to read what people are receiving from Princess and that it is the old deck-by-deck protocol and not the Arrival Groups.  Very strange, but not surprising when it comes to Princess these days.

So @Steelers36here's the laughable part. On my last half dz cruises port authority didn't care. I was group B on last cruise (June 26th) it was just get in line when you get there but got on while still boarding Group A. The only thing they were picky about was whether or not I could go through final priority line. I told her I was on my 39th cruise but 'she' was only clued into my gray medallion.  No issue with the person actually checking me in

And I'm finally completing my collection of different colored medallions

• Like 1

I agree that the information is not clear.  We leave on a cruise on the Regal Princess out of Rome on 9/10/22. Its a 14 day cruise and 4 of the ports we stop at are in Greece. The information on the princess web site indicates that, as of 9/6/22, we don't need a covid test when embarking in Rome but it also states that Greece still will require a negative covid test result within 3 days of embarking, arriving or visiting Greece.  The first Greece port we stop in is 4 days after embarkation.  So what does that mean we need to do?  I called Princess and the first person I talked to said we didn't need a test to board in Rome but we had to take a test while on the ship for the port in Greece. The second person at Princess I talked to said everything is still gray regarding requirements and sent me to the medallion team for answers. I called the medallion team and was told we needed a negative test within 3 days of embarking at Rome and that was all the testing we needed. So yes it is confusing not only to us but to the Princess staff who are trying to answer the passengers questions concerning covid testing. I don't think it is the fault of Princess. I think there is still too many differences between each European country's requirements to clarify this issue.  Even though all the country ports we are visiting while on the cruise are in Europe it doesn't appear that all the countries are on the same page in regards to covid testing for visitors. 😞

1 hour ago, dke55 said:

Even though all the country ports we are visiting while on the cruise are in Europe it doesn't appear that all the countries are on the same page in regards to covid testing for visitors. 😞

Agree 1000%!!!

FWIW I experienced the same thing last December in Caribbean. For those who are boarding in 2023 (myself included) check back 2 months before the cruise. 

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, dke55 said:

I agree that the information is not clear.  We leave on a cruise on the Regal Princess out of Rome on 9/10/22. Its a 14 day cruise and 4 of the ports we stop at are in Greece. The information on the princess web site indicates that, as of 9/6/22, we don't need a covid test when embarking in Rome but it also states that Greece still will require a negative covid test result within 3 days of embarking, arriving or visiting Greece.  The first Greece port we stop in is 4 days after embarkation.  So what does that mean we need to do?  I called Princess and the first person I talked to said we didn't need a test to board in Rome but we had to take a test while on the ship for the port in Greece. The second person at Princess I talked to said everything is still gray regarding requirements and sent me to the medallion team for answers. I called the medallion team and was told we needed a negative test within 3 days of embarking at Rome and that was all the testing we needed. So yes it is confusing not only to us but to the Princess staff who are trying to answer the passengers questions concerning covid testing. I don't think it is the fault of Princess. I think there is still too many differences between each European country's requirements to clarify this issue.  Even though all the country ports we are visiting while on the cruise are in Europe it doesn't appear that all the countries are on the same page in regards to covid testing for visitors. 😞

You need a pre Travel Covid test to embark the ship if you are going to Greece. Period.

Italy does not require it. Greece does.

if another test is required en route the ship will provide it before getting to port.

18 hours ago, Level six said:

You are fully vaxed with first 2 Pfizer/ Moderna etc.

you are up to date with above vax plus one booster.

no 2 nd booster is required at this time.

it is your benefit to get a second booster- has nothing to do with number of days.

stay informed as things are changing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kamfish642 said:

If Australia no longer requires a pre-COVID test for visitors, why is Princess requiring for cruises from Australia?

Canada also requires  Covid test to embark, & for stops on cruise ships in Canadian ports.  It is the government requirement, not Princess deciding this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dog said:

Canada also requires  Covid test to embark, & for stops on cruise ships in Canadian ports.  It is the government requirement, not Princess deciding this.

But apparently Australia government is not requiring.

6 hours ago, dke55 said:

No one at Princess should be referring guests to the Medallion Class app team for inquiries about Covid vaccines and testing.  Not their job nor area of expertise. 

The Greece info posted last Wed doesn't match anything published by their government, nor are the protocols as written anything close to other cruise lines, including HAL (PCL and HAL share medical dept mgmt).  Some folks have made formal inquiries to Princess about this new change which doesn't make much sense.  Each country in the EU had the option to continue mask mandates one planes and in airports, for one example.  They aren't all cookie-cutter approaches.  

4 hours ago, dog said:

You need a pre Travel Covid test to embark the ship if you are going to Greece. Period.

Italy does not require it. Greece does.

if another test is required en route the ship will provide it before getting to port.

Technically, it is Princess requiring it - not Greece.  No such requirements can be found as published by Greece, and if they really did require it, then the other cruise lines would need to comply.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dog said:

6 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

But apparently Australia government is not requiring.

My understanding is that the Canadian government is requiring us to test pre travel before we embark in NYC for a cruise that visits Canada.

This is what the email says for my upcoming cruise.

We do not need to test before visiting Canada by land or air- at this time.

——-

- also in Princess testing chart it says:

” Definition by country’s Health Authority”

————

Check with the cruiseline directly & with the Australian government.

Do not rely on message forums / social media.

Edited by dog

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

The reason it is not necessary is because it is ignored on embarkation day.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, caribill said:

The reason it is not necessary is because it is ignored on embarkation day.

True in some cases.

the early group in Vancouver May 4/22 had an agent walk down the long line up & check their boarding times, they reported.  
I did not see that happening at the time I arrived in the second group.