MSC Covid testing regulations

mandrews2u

So we are told we must test two days before departure for our MSC cruise, so I scheduled them two days prior at CVS and it says results will be back from 1-2 days,, what IF we do NOT have them back before we go to port in MIami, will they just test us there? OR should I try to schedule rapid testing two days prior, they are still hard to find open slots .

30 minutes ago, mandrews2u said:

So we are told we must test two days before departure for our MSC cruise, so I scheduled them two days prior at CVS and it says results will be back from 1-2 days,, what IF we do NOT have them back before we go to port in MIami, will they just test us there? OR should I try to schedule rapid testing two days prior, they are still hard to find open slots .

You do realize you are on the Royal Caribbean page, right?  You can go ask on the MSC page for any specifics.  They might handle things differently at MSC.

2 hours ago, psumother said:

You can use a free test kit with an online proctoring site to test for $15-$20.   RapidTestandTrace or On-point.  Results within 15 minutes and an email with results immediately.

Is the $16.99 on-point test that you use your own kit for acceptable to MSC, is it considered NAAT test?

Cellfree, thank you for the info unfortunately I don’t think MSC accepts this this is what it says

• All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation. 

I do hope MSC drops the testing requirement for fully vaccinated passengers soon.

Anyone see the TODAY show this morning.  They had a feature showing that bookings are soaring for Carnival and Norwegian due to them dropping theirs'.

3 hours ago, mandrews2u said:

Cellfree, thank you for the info unfortunately I don’t think MSC accepts this this is what it says

I must say I'm slightly confused by this thread, but also not sure what you are referring to here.

The general consensus has been that the Certified Teleservice COVID Testing - OnPoint Testing (onpoint-testing.com) and Rapid COVID-19 Tests with Documentation Online at Home (rapidtestandtrace.com) provide the necessary documentation to allow you to use any FDA authorized antigen home test to allow you to sail on MSC.

At least prior to August 29. The new verbiage for August 29 forward for cruises of 6 nts or longer uses the term "lab-administered", and with respect to rapid antigen tests, no one knows what that would even mean.

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

At least prior to August 29. The new verbiage for August 29 forward for cruises of 6 nts or longer uses the term "lab-administered", and with respect to rapid antigen tests, no one knows what that would even mean.

Maybe it's just MSC being MSC, because this is what I'm seeing on https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises, with my underline:

All vaccinated guests (12 and older and any children between 2 and 11 years old) on sailings from U.S. ports that are 6 nights or longer must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation.  MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.

Unvaccinated guests (between 2 and 11 years old) must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation on all sailings from U.S. ports. MSC Cruises recommends unvaccinated guests to test within 1 day of departure, when possible.

8 minutes ago, Selion said:

Maybe it's just MSC being MSC, because this is what I'm seeing on https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises, with my underline:

All vaccinated guests (12 and older and any children between 2 and 11 years old) on sailings from U.S. ports that are 6 nights or longer must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation.  MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.

Unvaccinated guests (between 2 and 11 years old) must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation on all sailings from U.S. ports. MSC Cruises recommends unvaccinated guests to test within 1 day of departure, when possible.

That's why I specifically mentioned it. It has been discussed in another thread, but it appears to me to be very, very sloppy language.

Rapid tests are not done in labs or administered by a lab. They are done in white tents, drugstore drivethrus, airport kiosks, and at the kitchen table (for the purposes of travel, with a proctor certifying results). There are no doubt rare exceptions, but typically, there is no such thing as a "lab-administered" antigen test. A PCR test is different and would be evaluated in a lab, although the sample may be collected elsewhere.

Especially since MSC is now (from Aug 29 forward) asking you to wait until the day before cruise embarkation to do the test if possible, there's no logical way that they are now disallowing rapid testing or the kind of testing the cruise industry themselves have been actively promoting for over a year.

39 minutes ago, poohdreaming said:

Other cruisers had mentioned that home tests are allowed. If you used vendors like On Point to schedule a virtual covid test, it is accepted.

The question at hand is not whether they have been and are being accepted. Of course they have. The question is whether they will still be accepted after Aug 29 when the verbiage says for the first time that the test must be "lab-administered." That's new.

But I'm saying emphatically that there is no change intended. Without question they will still be accepted. But that some are scratching their heads and wondering is not irrational.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BND said:

You do realize you are on the Royal Caribbean page, right?  You can go ask on the MSC page for any specifics.  They might handle things differently at MSC.

?  This is the MSC page. 

On 8/18/2022 at 9:23 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

What about a rapid test?  You get the results in about an hour. I know CVS does them. We have it scheduled for our upcoming cruise next week. 

The question lingers as to what exactly "lab-administered" means. When I've done CVS/Walgreens tests I pulled up to the drive through, swabbed my own nose, handed my "test kit" to a cashier, and drove out. To me that's not any more "lab-administered" than a proctored at-home test.

I'll bet people will be able to board using the at-home proctored method but I wouldn't want to bet my vacation on it. Hopefully someone here on the boards will "take on for the team" and try the proctored method after Aug 29th to possibly give us more clarity on this.

Edited by kilkoyne