Flight time from Sydney day of debarkation

cunnorl

I think I already know the answer to this but.  We had originally booked a flight leaving Sydney at 2pm. Debarking the morning of January 2 and flying back to US. We received a notification that our flight is now 11:30am.  I really dont think we could realistically make that flight. It is still 5 months away so could change again.  Do you think we should try and change it now. Our ship docks at White Bay.

I would change your flight if you can. It is doable if everything goes right. The ship just needs to be late into Sydney, disembarkation delayed and of course traffic jams. Due to staff shortages at most major Australian airports, travellers are being urged to arrive much earlier for their flights. You may be asked to be at the airport three hours before your international flight. Even flying domestically from Sydney, we never book a flight home before 1pm as we have been late docking by a few hours. Fortunately this particular time, we were staying overnight and flying home early the next morning. 

Also remember the airport will be exptremely busy with Christmas/New Year travellers.

Edited by possum52

100% change, but like all airports around the world right now, Sydney airport has been a nightmare (very very long lines for security - people waiting hours in them).

Also as mentioned above this will be peak holiday season for alot of Australians, especially the day after new years, you will find alot of families going away. If possible, I would overnight in Sydney the day you disembark. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies. You all just confirmed what I was thinking. We are in the process of changing our flights to the next day.

The stress that would bring is no way to end a cruise!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 10:42 PM, cunnorl said:

Thank you for all the replies. You all just confirmed what I was thinking. We are in the process of changing our flights to the next day.

The stress that would bring is no way to end a cruise!

Smart move.  When I recently flew from Brisbane to Sydney the check in time was three hours before.  I haven't received the check in time later this month from Sydney to Brisbane yet. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, little britain said:

Disembarking from a cruise to NZ ( from Sydney so round trip) and need to get to Singapore that day. 
Are you saying the 2pm flight is risky ?

thanks 

which terminal is an issue OPT or White Bay 

Rather than flight time, what is latest check in, normally be 11:00 am. And doable, but it doesn’t take much to go wrong, a breakdown or accident on the way to the airport. Ship getting in late. Problems with disembarkation. Or of course the new factor of COVID, in my opinion the same day is always risky.

We often park at the airport long term car park. Now one time we needed to get home for a funeral a Noon. Walked to Circular Quay, Train to Airport, Shuttle to long term car park, picked up Mrs G at OPT by 9:00

Another cruise she was still sitting sipping coffee (and starting to worry) at 1:00, just everything went wrong, delay on the train, shuttle got a flat tyre, accident on the road back, that meant as I approached the OPT the traffic was heavy with the next lot arriving.

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

which terminal is an issue OPT or White Bay 

Rather than flight time, what is latest check in, normally be 11:00 am. And doable, but it doesn’t take much to go wrong, a breakdown or accident on the way to the airport. Ship getting in late. Problems with disembarkation. Or of course the new factor of COVID, in my opinion the same day is always risky.

We often park at the airport long term car park. Now one time we needed to get home for a funeral a Noon. Walked to Circular Quay, Train to Airport, Shuttle to long term car park, picked up Mrs G at OPT by 9:00

Another cruise she was still sitting sipping coffee (and starting to worry) at 1:00, just everything went wrong, delay on the train, shuttle got a flat tyre, accident on the road back, that meant as I approached the OPT the traffic was heavy with the next lot arriving.

Thanks! 
There are later flights at 4:30 and 6pm . 
Is it 2 or 3hrs check in for SIN? 

12 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks! 
There are later flights at 4:30 and 6pm . 
Is it 2 or 3hrs check in for SIN? 

Sydney airport reccommends to arrive at least three hours before international flights.