what's the real difference?

complawyer

other than the price difference of course, on the NCL jewel, there are haven suites and regular suites (not club balcony). I want to book the 2 bedroom, and there is about a $3000 price difference. i know that some havens have their own bar, restaurant and pool area. others both eat at either cagney's or moderno. so my dear friends, what do  you get in the haven jewel 2 bedroom, that you dont get in the regular 2 bedroom suite? im sure bird travels or traveling man has the answer

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

other than the price difference of course, on the NCL jewel, there are haven suites and regular suites (not club balcony). I want to book the 2 bedroom, and there is about a $3000 price difference. i know that some havens have their own bar, restaurant and pool area. others both eat at either cagney's or moderno. so my dear friends, what do  you get in the haven jewel 2 bedroom, that you dont get in the regular 2 bedroom suite? im sure bird travels or traveling man has the answer

Howdy @complawyer and thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising & your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line ship. Your thread was off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your new thread to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed on the Norwegian Jewel frequent this forum and provide feedback here. 

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

• Haha 1

I have sailed on Jewel Class ships twice in suites (Jade and Pearl). Neither were inside the Haven, but one had Haven access and the other didn't. We are also booked into a suite on the Dawn which doesn't;t have a Haven at all.

The difference? Access to the Haven area itself. The pool and sun deck. Is that worth the extra money? Well, only you can answer that. Is it worth $3,000 to me? Absolutely not, it isn't even worth $300, but others may think it is.

One of the great things about the Jewel class ships, and earlier, for us is that you can get a great room, breakfast in Modernos and a few other benefits for not a great amount more then a standard room. If you are into the whole "treated like a rock star" thing then maybe that isn't enough, but if you are just into a great cruise with a little extra added then they are the best.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 5

mr jenner, thank you for the response. your answer is what i thought. you are 100% correct. access to the pool area is definitely "NOT" worth the extra 3k. most  times when i cruise, i dont even remember to pack a bathing suit

On the Jewel class ships, the non Haven 2-bedroom penthouse suites come with a butler (brings daily snacks that we don’t eat), a concierge, breakfast in Moderno with the same menu as ships with a full Haven restaurant, lunch in Cagney’s with the Haven lunch menu, priority embarkation and disembarkation (both at the end of the cruise and at each port) and balcony seating exclusive to the Haven and suites which are not the beat seats in the theatre.

You will get an invitation to attend the Haven and Suites cocktail party with the captain and if there are events like a glacier viewing or a sailing through the Panama Canal you will get invited up to the Haven sundeck.

What the actual Haven guests have access to that the non-Haven suites don’t is the sundeck (similar to Vibe), the tiny pool and the tiny hot tub.

Edited by YVRteacher

We recently had a aft suite on the Jade around the Greek islands, in my view it was better than being in the Haven but with the same perks, on thing nobody mentions with the Haven is self isolation, you tend not to go out and mix on the larger ships, you tend to drink and eat within the Haven, because it’s convenient and easy, with a suite you have a served breakfast and lunch, fast tenders, a butler and freedom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

We recently had a aft suite on the Jade around the Greek islands, in my view it was better than being in the Haven but with the same perks, on thing nobody mentions with the Haven is self isolation, you tend not to go out and mix on the larger ships, you tend to drink and eat within the Haven, because it’s convenient and easy, with a suite you have a served breakfast and lunch, fast tenders, a butler and freedom.

Absolutely. This is one of the reasons why given the choice I prefer a non haven suite over haven. When we had a Haven suite we realised afterwards that we spent time in the Haven when, in hindsight, we would rather have been in the public areas. With a non haven suite you get some benefits over a standard room, but still get the cruise experience we love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 3:39 PM, complawyer said:

You get access to the Haven courtyard. It is a very small space with a small pool. Consider if you sit in one of the chairs along the side, your feet could touch the pool. And the Haven Sundeck (it was a bit chilly on the Haven sundeck on our cruise below). 

Both Haven guests and Suite guests eat in Cagney's/Moderno. Both Haven and Suite guests have full access to the concierge. Most cruises, Suites guests are invited into the Haven for the Captain's cocktail party (so you can experience the space once). On Alaska cruises, Suites guests are often invited to the glacier watching party on the Haven sundeck. 

We have never stayed in the Haven on a small ship. We much prefer the forward facing suites. And can't see paying the $$$ for the Haven courtyard. 

image.png.5475059f93970929fabbf1bcb02aede0.png

image.png.60520ea0e969ebf68df7ec6e77302cf0.png

image.png.1e4f1fe07db8714de33d99ea808e2759.png

image.png.d75336145baec48ba4c5fb132f15760a.png

• Like 1

We did the Haven on the Pearl for New Zealand in 2019.  The main reason was for the sundeck while going through the fjords.  It was spectacular for the sightseeing, and as my wife is a skilled amateur photographer it made it easy for her to get photos from all sides.

If it had been a more "mundane" cruise (is there such a thing 😀) such as a Western Caribbean 7-day, I doubt we'd spend the extra money.

i discovered the only real difference is access to the pool and sundeck. the price difference is $1500, but since this is  the trans-canal cruise, i think we'll splurge & pop for the other $1500, and get a great view of  the crossing from the sun deck. take away the "c" and youre left with anal,  which probably well describes me  for blowing the xtra $$$

ok, i acknowledge i'm dumb for doing it!

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

i discovered the only real difference is access to the pool and sundeck. the price difference is $1500, but since this is  the trans-canal cruise, i think we'll splurge & pop for the other $1500, and get a great view of  the crossing from the sun deck. 

But please don’t spend all your time there during the transit. The operations of the lock chambers are best experienced from all angles and perspectives — high, low, fore, aft, mid ship.  Spend some time, for example, at the rail on the  promenade deck, where you’ll be as close as you can to the Canal wall and the mules and their tracks, and really experience just how little distance there is between the ship and the walk. 

Enjoy! 

• Like 1