Compare food on Discovery with Royal Caribbean Oasis food?

jp2746

We have never been on Princess and are going this winter.  I am looking forward to it but have no idea what to expect for food.  We are not food snobs but on our last cruise on the Symphony of the Seas (two weeks ago) we had the Ultimate Dining Package and only ate at the specialty restaurants.  We loved it and my husband said we can never go back to the main dining room again!  When I was little I didn't go on cruises but my parents did and my mom always talked about the wonderful food on Princess.  

I am wondering what the food quality is like?  Should we plan on a specialty night or is their free option food really good like she said?  I am not picky personally.  I love any meal that I don't have to cook or clean up after.  My family loves lobster and steak.  I am hoping that is an option on some nights.  (5 day cruise so it may not be)  And... my 16 year old is all about the food.  He is sort of a food snob.  He will eat almost anything but prefers seafood.  On the Symphony our ship days consisted of trying every food on the boat.

Any input is appreciated.

Princess food is not up to snuff since Covid. That being said, we have never had a problem finding something to eat. You might like a couple of their Sp Restaurants. ….always like grill hamburgers, hot dogs, and Alfredo pizza. 

There are no specialty restaurant packages on Princess. There are three specialty restaurants on the Discovery where you probably require reservations. Each has a charge. Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Bistro Sur La Mer. There is also the Salty Dog Gastropub which probably will not be busy and you can walk in. GiGi's is a sit down pizza restaurant that serves personal pizzas and other items. It is no charge and is open from 11am until late evening. It is walk in. There probably will be a line at lunch time/early afternoon. The World Market Place buffet is open all day and evening (never closes). There is a a Grill and Slice Pizza by the pool open from 11am until mid evening. You can order food and drink delivered anywhere on the ship through the Ocean Now app. Some food items have a charge. The International Cafe has Cont. breakfast items in the morning and paninis, salads and other items the rest of the day. No Charge. I always found the MDR food satisfying. Reports are that post covid that it isn't as good as the past, but still good.

Another opinion...we were on the Discovery in April and the MDR food seemed to us to be as good & varied as it was pre-Covid.

There have been complaints that the servings were smaller - didn't see any noticeable difference.

Note: if there isn't enuf food on your plate, just order more. The waiters will bring as much as you want.

• Like 2

The food has changed quite a bit since you were a little girl, and not in a good way.

Princess just hired a new VP for Food & Bev, so things MAY improve eventually, but if hubby is used to specialty dining for the entire cruise, you won't have many choices.

The food & service lacked so much last April, that we cancelled our October Princess booking and booked with Virgin instead. (no main dining room, all specialty restaurants with no extra charge!)

I'd rather pay a higher fare and get excellent food & service than go through what we experienced in April all over again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Do you know if there will be a lobster night on a five night cruise?  I am assuming it is only on 7 or higher.  

My best guess is no as on a 7 night cruise, lobster is served on second formal night, which is typically day 6.

"We" are all guessing that your 5 day cruise on the Discovery Princess out of Los Angeles.  How many sea days will you have?  MRD (Main Dining Room) lunch is only open on sea days.

Usually lobster is served on the second formal night of a 7 day cruise.  The MDR has lots of seafood options.  @harryfat1beat me to this)

The Crown Grill ($29.00 pp) is one of my favorite specialty dining rooms.  Hamburgers from the grill are very good.  If there is a sit down pizza restaurant, the food is good there too.  Sabatini's is Italian ($25 pp).  

5 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Do you know if there will be a lobster night on a five night cruise?  I am assuming it is only on 7 or higher.  

Food is subjective and your preference may be different but in my opinion, you aren't really missing much on the lobster.

We had them last week on the Majestic Princess.  The sauce they had on the lobsters made it too salty for my liking. Their had offerings on different nights were better but I understand idea of wanting lobster on a cruise.

20220811_203959.thumb.jpg.9322ceafd40e12ed88176e8ade471deb.jpg

20220811_204024.thumb.jpg.1962d50771b2fd6c5c96f861297a1cac.jpg

20220811_204118.thumb.jpg.d660fa9cabbe80f7a5e4d1b3376e8340.jpg

20220811_204341.thumb.jpg.111bd5cbd84af0853e47ceeec2b297d6.jpg

I think Lobster is over-rated. I had some of the best crab legs ever in my life on the Crown Princess,  quite a while ago. There is usually at least one seafood or fish dish on every dinner menu, plus they used to have always available salmon.  I've only been on one short cruise since covid, so can't speak to the current state of things. 

• Like 1