2 Days Ocean Cay - Activities

ALD18

Looking at possible MSC cruise with 2 day stop over at Ocean Cay.  Compared to other cruise line private islands looks rather desolate in regards to activities.  Wondering what there is to do other than sit and watch the ocean.  Appears as if you can rent Sea-Doo's and kayaks ($$$$), can you rent bikes or walk to "tour" the island and is it worth it?  Anything else to do?  Guess it would be similar to a on land sea day:)  Thanks.

No bikes for rent and you can walk the island.   There are no "planned" activities during the day - you sit, swim, and watch the ocean which many find quite lovely.  It's a full 360 from "a crazy day at Coco Cay" and the like.  There is a nighttime junkanoo party and light house show and beach fire pits, but it's a quiet private island during the day.

They do have Yamaha Waverunners for rent.

There are several beaches although when we went last fall some were closed due to reduced passengers.

They are building something in the middle.

Finally got there last fall for three days after missing it three says.  Had a great time doing nothing.

We were there last week for a 7am-9pm day. Out of the cruise line private islands I have visited this was my least enjoyable.

Got off ship early to get a good spot. First was given wrong info about our umbrella rental. Then were told there was a tram but after waiting and waiting we ended up walking far away only to get to the spot and nothing was there, no loungers or anything. The so called umbrella rental spot was also closed, no bar there either. According to the map these things should have been there.

Hiked it back to the original umbrella spot, got our umbrella and found a decent shaded spot away from crowds near a smallish bar that didn't open until 10.

We were not close to food so another hike since we only saw a tram come out our way the whole day twice. Food served was bad would rather have eaten on the ship. Drinks at the bar near us were bad also. They ran out of glasses early on and were only serving beer and water basically. I did get one warm margarita served in a martini glass that sloshed all over me when I tried walking while carrying it.

At the other far away bar the drinks were bad also. Got a daiquiri that had pea sized ice chunks in it and no alcohol, undrinkable. I saw a lot people complaining about drinks having no alcohol and handing drinks back to get alcohol added. You can't go up to the bar and order from the bartenders. They have one or two people at the bar with pads and you order from them and they shout out what they need to the bartenders. Which is fine but after people stand waiting for a bartender to take their order for 10 minutes to finally be told they have to order the other way they get mad for standing there after not being told that immediately. The order takers also ask with alcohol or without which was strange and prob why people were getting drinks with no alcohol, they were specifying with alcohol when they called them out.

I had read not to get a burger at the buffet to get one from a food truck, that try are grilled fresh. Well food didn't get served until 11:30 and passing by an hour before that we saw them on the food truck already cooking and stacking up burgers. Got one anyways when they opened and it was not good at all.

The area we were at was almost impossible to get into the water because there were a couple of feet of big rocks to get past.

It was so hot so walking around to explore was not an option. Just walking to restrooms and food was a hike and miserable in the sun. Wearing sunscreen I still got burned.

Lucky we had a balcony facing the lighthouse so got to see the show from there. That was the only good thing about this 14 hour long port stop 

I was at Ocean Cay for two days on my January cruise and loved it. It is my favorite private island so far, and much more relaxing than the circus / water park atmosphere of CocoCay. It was nice to have two laid back beach days with no extra costs and being able to return to the ship and come back to the island later.  I will be there for a total of 3 days on my 19 day Divina cruise in October and am looking forward to it.

I thought the food at both the main restaurant (typical Caribbean fare - jerk chicken, beans / rice, spice cake, etc.) and the burgers & fries at the food trucks were excellent. I don’t drink alcohol, so I can’t comment on the drinks / bars.

They do offer kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, a snorkeling tour, boat trip to a private sandbar, a fishing excursion, etc. for an additional fee if you want more than just relaxing on the beach or swimming. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The MSC Foundation Marine Conservation Center. 

Bret

This is what we were told in November.

MSC is a Marine preserve .

there will not be any “ fun park” attractions built on the island, as other private islands have done.

Many asked about piles of sand in the middle.

This was brought in to replenish the beaches that had storm damage.
MSC also has already begun their sea turtle program. Protect and return to sea.

New hatchlings.

Ocean Cay Turtle Hatchings

Edited by phissy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input everyone.  Decided on a different itinerary and will be hitting Coco Cay this time.  MSC island looks very interesting so will make a big push to hit it in future.  Appreciate everyone's input.

I was just on the island last month for 2 days.  Yep, not much other than beach time and food with a few stores thrown in.

The wave runner rentals are for a tour.  A leader will lead the group around and show you stuff for what I have been told and read.  I hear it is single line, no wild running....

I have same itinerary booked for late January, but in the Yacht Club.  Will enjoy the perks of the YC Beach amenities there and also bring my iPad to read or watch some movies just to stay off the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phissy said:

MSC is a Marine preserve .

there will not be any “ fun park” attractions built on the island, as other private islands have done.

Many asked about piles of sand in the middle.

This was brought in to replenish the beaches that had storm damage

I hope that is true.  A "fun park" type was what I was told was expected to be developed.  It's been two years since I have been there.  Maybe the executives at MSC have been doing more thinking?  (And, how much does a YC golf cart driver/guide really know?)  😀

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope that is true.  A "fun park" type was what I was told was expected to be developed.  It's been two years since I have been there.  Maybe the executives at MSC have been doing more thinking?  (And, how much does a YC golf cart driver/guide really know?)  😀

I got my information from both YC Director and  Captain.

MSC held groundbreaking for new Marine conservation Center during the time we were sailing.
November 2021. 
We were not there for that day but arrived day after.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The MSC Foundation Marine Conservation Center. Article is here:

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/msc-breaks-ground-on-ocean-cay-marine-conservation-centre

Bret

Is nobody going to comment on the statement that the constructed center will be about 8 miles by 8 miles in size?

> start of construction of the 64-square-mile centre,

22 hours ago, phissy said:

I got my information from both YC Director and  Captain.

MSC held groundbreaking for new Marine conservation Center during the time we were sailing.

The sources of your information are far superior to the person who told me what I posted.

22 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Is nobody going to comment on the statement that the constructed center will be about 8 miles by 8 miles in size?

> start of construction of the 64-square-mile centre,

The size of the area seems to me to be questionable as compared to the size of Ocean Cay.  Where on the island will it be located?  It certainly, at that size, cannot be where the piles and piles of empty sand that I saw was located.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

The size of the area seems to me to be questionable

Ya think? It is possible that a 64 square mile area is the cay and surrounding ocean which has some sort of designation as a marine preserve, rather than referring to an actual building.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Ya think? It is possible that a 64 square mile area is the cay and surrounding ocean which has some sort of designation as a marine preserve, rather than referring to an actual building.

Good point;  I envisioned some type of building in the area of piles and piles of sand that I saw.  Some type of illustration of what is envisioned would be helpful.  

• Like 1

I really enjoy Ocean Cay and deliberately choose cruises that stop there, twice if possible.  The fact that the ships dock means you can easily go back & forth to the ship if you feel like it.  I prefer Ocean Cay to all of the other Private Islands, but I am not a big fan of lots of activities, so it suits me perfectly.  

I like the choice of beaches that each have different personalities.  Your drink package works on the island, and there are enough bars for some bar hopping.  The Lighthouse Bar is my favorite and has an entertainer in the afternoon which is always nice.  Your favorite bartenders from the ship will be out there somewhere!  Folks enjoy the jet ski tour, and our friends that did the boat ride to watch the lighthouse show said it was quite a party.  Pretty sure there is also a snorkel excursion available, and maybe a couple of others.

The buffet is usually quite good, although sometimes less so.  I like the food trucks as an option as well.  Swimming, sunning, floating, snorkeling, drinking & a beach party at night - that's all I need!  

Edited by dznymom
typo
  • Like 4

We've only snorkeled YC and Lighthouse Beach.  Not much at either.

Lighthouse would get a couple rays at times.  Have not read much about how other beaches are.

Lighthouse will be very calm most of the time due to dock and ship being there.

• Like 1