How early of a flight can we book when docking in Port Canaveral

Hello:

I am looking to book my return flight from Orlando (after we dock in Port Canaveral) this Fall and wanted to ask advice on how early would be appropriate to book our flight.  Please note we are flying within the the US (not international travel).  Also, we plan on carrying our luggage off of the ship.  Finally, if anyone has a recommendation with transportation to book from the port to MCO it would appreciated.

Thank you.

Plan on an hour from the time you get into a van/Uber etc to reach MCO.  It is highway the entire way but it can back-up especially if you are docking during a weekday.

You can also look at flying in/out of Melbourne (MLB) which is 35 minutes from the port and a lot less congested than MCO.  Sometimes the rates are the same and it is a lot less stress to fly into and out of MLB.

This may give you the info you are looking for regarding shuttle services:

https://cruisefever.net/shuttles-orlando-airport-port-canaveral/

One thing I would NOT recommend is trying to get a rental car and drive it yourself.  The car rental agencies around the port back up severely on port days and you can wait a long time to get a car even with a reservation.

Best case scenario: Boat docks at 6:30, you are cleared and off by 7:15 and hop right into an Uber. You are at the airport at 8 am.

Under most circumstances, if you line up to be one of the first off the boat, you should be at the airport by 9. Of course the boat can get delayed, the drawbridge could be up, your transportation could be delayed, and there could be traffic on the way to the airport.

If I were flying something like Southwest where you can change last minute and had TSA pre-check and not checking luggage, I would probably fly out no earlier that 10:30.

Melbourne airport will not buy you more than 5 minutes. Traffic is not normally bad between Port Canaveral and MCO.

Edited by drb116

1 minute ago, drb116 said:

Best case scenario: Boat docks at 6:30, you are cleared and off by 7:15 and hop right into an Uber. You are at the airport at 8 am.

Under most circumstances, if you line up to be one of the first off the boat, you should be at the airport by 9. Of course the boat can get delayed, the drawbridge could be up, your transportation could be delayed, and there could be traffic on the way to the airport.

If I were flying something like Southwest where you can change last minute, I would probably fly out no earlier that 10:30.

Melbourne airport will not buy you more than 5 minutes. Traffic is not normally bad between Port Canaveral and MCO.

Thank you for that information.  We are looking at next year and I was leery of booking out of Orlando or Galveston because of the distance to the airport.  We have always gone out of ports that the airport is within twenty minutes or so from the port.  I will consider Orlando cruises for next year as well.   

Cortrans or Cruise Control Transportation are 2 shuttle services with good reputations.  MCO can be a real crap shoot.  I would not book a flight before noon.  No stress getting off the ship, dealing with traffic, going through security.  

I think this question also depends on whether or not you're cruising during a large school holiday (which I know is difficult to gauge at some points). I frequent aviation and travel threads other than this board and have seen massive lines for TSA at MCO, even if you have pre-check. I would agree that an afternoon flight would be a safe bet, and gives you time in the morning to get breakfast and off the ship at a more leisurely pace.

FWIW, if you had asked about MIA from their port, that'd be a different story entirely (even if you were flying out of FLL instead).

We disembarked 2 weeks ago.  Walked off at 7:00 am & had private transfer with CruiseControl.  We had an 11am flight, but definitely could have made a 10:00 am flight. That said, the 3 of us are seasons travelers, all have TSA precheck (line was empty), and know how to tag our checked bags at the airport.  Remember that in Orlando, you likely have to take the plane train (or whatever it is called - - sorry, I live in Atlanta and that is what it is called). 

• Like 1

I think the key is walking off and taking a private shuttle if you are early. That said sometimes thinks go wrong.  A few years back we tried for a 10:30 flight.  I thought we had our bases covered.  Private shuttle lined up to pick us up at 8am.  The problem was the Freedom of the Seas was down on power and late getting to port. We could not get off until around 9.  We got to Mco about 10.  No chance to make the flight.  The good news is we got the next flight on standby.   I would try for 11am or later but like the other guy said 10am is possible if you like to take chances. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drb116 said:

If I were flying something like Southwest where you can change last minute and had TSA pre-check and not checking luggage, I would probably fly out no earlier that 10:30.

Indeed I would call traffic to Melbourne a whole lot worse than the straight shot highway down 528, unless there is a major traffic accident on 528...but could be anywhere.

If the OP is on Harmony or Indy...the drawbridge does not come into play they will be at T#1.   Only on Mariner and later Jewel...which docks at T#5 would they need to cross the drawbridge. 

Me...I would never book a flight before noon.  Too much could come into play.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruizen4life34 said:

Hello:

I am looking to book my return flight from Orlando (after we dock in Port Canaveral) this Fall and wanted to ask advice on how early would be appropriate to book our flight.  Please note we are flying within the the US (not international travel).  Also, we plan on carrying our luggage off of the ship.  Finally, if anyone has a recommendation with transportation to book from the port to MCO it would appreciated.

Thank you.

Dont take a shuttle. Stops at many hotels. Taxi or uber. 

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Is it fairly easy to get an Uber to pick up at the port? This would be my preference to get to the airport (flying out of Melbourne). 

We did this 2 weeks ago.  We drove to port with a rental and had a 11:45 am flight.  We were not cleared to leave the boat until 8 and once we got to the car and left garage it was 8:30.  We encountered some traffic on the way to the airport and pulled up to the rental return at 10.  We were through security by 10:30 and too the gate at 11 for our flight.  I was a bit stressed but it all turned out fine.