Cancelling a cruise

mamaboss

Can anyone give me a heads up what to expect when I cancel my cruise? I'm booked on Spirit September 6 to Alaska. My hubby is ill and I can't go. I have insurance through Allianz so not too concerned about that part. I am reading different posts about to cancel or just no show. Some cruisers have incurred penalties for being a no show. I am the 3rd person in the cabin so I didn't think I needed to call & cancel. Anyone know that has canceled recently?

1 hour ago, mamaboss said:

Can anyone give me a heads up what to expect when I cancel my cruise? I'm booked on Spirit September 6 to Alaska. My hubby is ill and I can't go. I have insurance through Allianz so not too concerned about that part. I am reading different posts about to cancel or just no show. Some cruisers have incurred penalties for being a no show. I am the 3rd person in the cabin so I didn't think I needed to call & cancel. Anyone know that has canceled recently?

Is the reason you're cancelling covered under your travel insurance policy?

Will your travel insurance reimburse you if you "No Show"?

The insurance will generally require a doctor's statement that he/she advised your husband no to cruise due to a medical condition. Plus, the insurance may will want medical records going back at least six months. So I would be gathering that information. It sounds like persons 1 and 2 are still cruising so it is possible if you cancel then their price might increase. I would call to find out the best options. Good luck. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

My brother and his wife are still cruising. We booked a suite to have more room for the 3 of us. We then split the cost. So, if cost is 1,000 for passenger 1&2 and 3rd is 10.00 we split 2,010. I suspect I will eat the amount I paid extra but can't be helped. My insurance does cover for him being ill and I am his primary caregiver. I do have a travel agent and will contact her first. Just wanted to know what I may incounter. This would have been my first cruise on Carnival. Thank you all I'm grateful for the suggestions!

If when you cancel AND if it’s determined to be a “covered” reason, you will be reimbursed at the 3rd person rate.

Many insurance policies do cover family members not traveling. However, it does sound as though there are pre-existing conditions involved. The insurance company will require access to his medical records.

Edited by klfrodo

Since sail date is less than month away, Carnival will keep the base rate you paid.  

You have to file claim through the insurance to get some money back.  Carnival will keep some too.

I know this because I just called them Saturday to switch cruises.  They could not just move me. They cancelled me.  Since it was past final payment date, Carnival kept it all and told me I have to contact my Insurance company to get what ever they allowed back.  Calling insurance company revealed I have to have an authorized reason and submit paperwork from Dr saying what my issue is.

Bottom line, you will have to jump through hoops to get a portion of your money back.  But maybe by 2023, you will have it all resolved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FireEater said:

Since sail date is less than month away, Carnival will keep the base rate you paid.  

You have to file claim through the insurance to get some money back.  Carnival will keep some too.

I know this because I just called them Saturday to switch cruises.  They could not just move me. They cancelled me.  Since it was past final payment date, Carnival kept it all and told me I have to contact my Insurance company to get what ever they allowed back.  Calling insurance company revealed I have to have an authorized reason and submit paperwork from Dr saying what my issue is.

Bottom line, you will have to jump through hoops to get a portion of your money back.  But maybe by 2023, you will have it all resolved.

If you had Carnival insurance through AON, that insurance policy has a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider. You can cancel at any time prior to scheduled ship departure time and receive a FCC for 75% of what you paid for the cancelled cruise.