Labadee?

2 minutes ago, soapbxking said:

what are the better excursions on Labadee?/

I can't say currently. But back in the day Malfini Beach was literal Paradise on Earth. Now it changed names and incorporates learning Haitian food and culture tour.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, soapbxking said:

what are the better excursions on Labadee?/

That sort of depends on what you like to do/how much you want to spend.  Some think it's worth $100pp to do the zip line.  While I think it would be neat to do, I don't think a 1 minute (is it that long) ride is worth it.  Others disagree. Some will spend money on the jetskis.  Others don't like it. 

We just got back and I cannot recommend Amiga Island.  Not sure if it was just this day but the currents were pretty strong in most places and there was trash all in the water and all over the place outside the main landing area, if you walk the island.  We also did the sip and paint which we enjoyed. The first time we were in Labadee, we did Paradise Cove and authentic Haitian village, it was amazing.  The water there calmer and cleaner.

Edited by wednesday

1 hour ago, wednesday said:

We just got back and I cannot recommend Amiga Island.  Not sure if it was just this day but the currents were pretty strong in most places and there was trash all in the water and all over the place outside the main landing area, if you walk the island.  We also did the sip and paint which we enjoyed. The first time we were in Labadee, we did Paradise Cove and authentic Haitian village, it was amazing.  The water there calmer and cleaner.

We were just about to book the Amiga island tour but I think we are changing our minds. Thanks for the info. By the way did they have loungers to sit on?

8 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

We were just about to book the Amiga island tour but I think we are changing our minds. Thanks for the info. By the way did they have loungers to sit on?

On Amiga they had some loungers and adirondack chairs.  If memory serves,  Paradise cove had a few loungers.  There are some free beaches on Labadee with loungers as well.

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

Labadee is an RCI beach port. You do not need an excursion. It is a set of picturesque beaches and somewhat nice snorkeling.

Somewhat nice snorkeling on which beach?

2 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

It's super odd. I have two sailings which include Labadee, one in December,  tye other in January.  The December one has a giant list of excursions.  The January one only lists the cabanas at Barefoot Beach.  I've never been, so I'm not sure what to expect. 

My January sailing is the same, very odd.  I wonder if they just haven’t set prices for 2023 yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

How does Labadee compare to CocoCay?  We stop in Labadee on a Dec cruise.  Thanks!

We were there this past June.  Labadee is a scaled down version of CocoCay.  It was roasting hot when we were there but it seems quite a few people loved riding the zip line down.  It was in constant use.  There are beach chairs everywhere and the water is gorgeous.  I just had knee surgery in April and the kind 'porters' with beach wheelchairs took me all the way back to the ship as the walk back was too far for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

How does Labadee compare to CocoCay?  We stop in Labadee on a Dec cruise.  Thanks!

Depends on your personal preferences.  We took a 5-night cruise that only stopped at Labadee and CocoCay and the majority of us preferred the laid-back feeling at Labadee.  The 6 and 11 year old were huge fans of the water park at CocoCay, but their parents couldn't wait to be finished over there to join the rest of us at our Chill Island cabana.  Plus, two ships at CocoCay made that place so incredibly crowded, especially compared to our one ship at Labadee.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

Just back from the Harmony which included both stops. We bought cabanas at both so can only judge that experience.

The over the water cabana at CocoCay Beach Club was utterly amazing -- best day we had on a cruise in a very long time. Service was amazing as was the food. So fun to just jump off into the water and come right back and rinse off in private shower. Attendant was amazing. Even went out of the area to get us funnel cakes when we asked about them. We really agreed it was a "perfect day at Coco Cay!"

In Labadee, we bought the standard cabana at Barefoot Beach (suite area). What a difference!! Very small, super hot with not much of a feeling of shade. People walking by constantly. Attendant only brings drinks and rare at that. Couldn't snorkel in that area (no fish at all) and yelled at when we tried to go to adjacent area. Food was burgers and hot dogs -- exactly the same as non-suite area. (vs lobster and fillet at Coco Cay Beach Club). Sand was super hot to get to water and not easy to clean off before going back into cabana. We left after a couple hours.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mets07 said:

We always do the jet skis at Labadee and always enjoy it. It is the only thing we have ever paid for there....

That is so funny, I would never do Jet Skis at any RC private island, I don't like to drive in the straight line one by one, I like to go fast over other Jet Ski wakes. It's the one of the only times I'm a bit of a daredevil.

• Like 1

I understand your perspective.  For us, it works great. We usually take the second or third position in line, allowing us to go fast. It is also a decent ride for a "guided" experience, which is necessary in this case as you are in Haiti and to avoid "obstacles" in more shallow areas. 

We try to reserve well before the cruise to get the best price and also it allows us to get one of the first time slots of the day .... so that we have the rest of the day to enjoy the beach. 

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1