Question about the Key Program

slyster

Hi there…I know they limit the number of people who can purchase the key.  If I buy one now, and it becomes cheaper, can i reprice it?  I know with other things you can, but since they limit the number, I wasn’t sure if you could do that with the Key.  The price is super high right now ($34.99 a day).  This is for Allure of the Seas.  I could buy it then see if it goes down, but if it doesn’t, I will cancel it before the cruise.

Also, as a side question, I read in some articles, that there was complimentary room service and 25% off dining.  I don’t see that on the RC website though.  Was that changed?  I see complimentary chops grille lunch in the dining room on embarkation so maybe that was the change?  Thank you!

I was able to  cancel my initial key purchase for my Oasis cruise (departing this coming Sunday), and then repurchase it at a lower rate. I did this a few weeks ago, so fairly close to the departure date. The initial purchase that I canceled was refunded to my credit card in about a week. I initially paid $230 and then it dropped to $174. I don't remember what that worked out to per day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, slyster said:

Hi there…I know they limit the number of people who can purchase the key.  If I buy one now, and it becomes cheaper, can i reprice it?  I know with other things you can, but since they limit the number, I wasn’t sure if you could do that with the Key.  The price is super high right now ($34.99 a day).  This is for Allure of the Seas.  I could buy it then see if it goes down, but if it doesn’t, I will cancel it before the cruise.

Also, as a side question, I read in some articles, that there was complimentary room service and 25% off dining.  I don’t see that on the RC website though.  Was that changed?  I see complimentary chops grille lunch in the dining room on embarkation so maybe that was the change?  Thank you!

There should be a sale in the next few weeks, so if your sailing is a ways out, then wait a few weeks.  But you can cancel and then repurchase.  

That room service and 25% option had been during the height of Covid/early return to service, when they weren't doing the chops lunch due to distancing, limited venues, etc.  It went back to 'normal' around the first of the year I think.  

The key is not worth it at all unless you are solo. People say we are going to buy everyone the internet anyways. You have to understand the more internet you purchase under 1 name the cheaper the internet. I always purchase 4 internet when on sale and sell them to people on my sailings FB. Just got off Harmony. I was able to get 4 under one person at $328 so it came out to $82 for one device. I only kept one and sold other 3. 
If you are buying it thinking U r going to get extra time on the flow rider, Rockwall, or zip line,you only get 1 maybe 2 times in the week that give you a time that no one would want to go. 
oasis class ships you get on so quick that key makes zero difference. Just returned from the 4th cruise on an oasis cruise just this year. We take tons of cruises living so close to Lauderdale. They called diamond and key together and our friends walked on right after us at 10:40 with a 10:30 check in. 
chops lunch is in main dining room. You can buy chops lunch at $20 at chops. 
the reserved key seats in theater are no difference then the seats I am at. You still have to arrive early. The only people that get key are people who have never cruised oasis class before. You get off ship quick and early regardless of key. Go to park cafe and get a bite to eat when u get off. Also avoid windjammer and go to Park café or Solarium bistro on the first day for lunch. It’s quiet and easy avoid the key

Edited by renza
  • Like 2

I know we all have reasons why we like it.  I have never considered purchasing it because I didn’t feel it was worth it, but since this our first time on an oasis class ship in over ten years, We will be on Allure of the Seas so I am thinking about it.  I liked the idea of having the ability to arrive early and check in, reserved seating for theater, studio b, and aqua theater.  Plus the internet package and last day choice departure.  Oh and having the chance to fit in a chops grille lunch in dining room is nice!   It is not worth $34.99 a day so I’ll watch for drops in price.  This isn’t for another year (August 2023).  I’m just glad we have the ability to reprice it if we find it lower at a lower price.

Edited by slyster
  • Like 1

So much of what renza said is true.  The Key when it first was introduced was an expensive but worthwhile thing if you wanted to FlowRide for example.  It is clearly less awesome now.  That said, I did it on my last cruise, and I didn’t regret it.

I may never do it again, as the price to participate might never again get into the acceptable zone.  It doesn’t suck completely.

jc

17 hours ago, renza said:

The key is not worth it at all unless you are solo. People say we are going to buy everyone the internet anyways. You have to understand the more internet you purchase under 1 name the cheaper the internet. I always purchase 4 internet when on sale and sell them to people on my sailings FB. Just got off Harmony. I was able to get 4 under one person at $328 so it came out to $82 for one device. I only kept one and sold other 3. 
If you are buying it thinking U r going to get extra time on the flow rider, Rockwall, or zip line,you only get 1 maybe 2 times in the week that give you a time that no one would want to go. 
oasis class ships you get on so quick that key makes zero difference. Just returned from the 4th cruise on an oasis cruise just this year. We take tons of cruises living so close to Lauderdale. They called diamond and key together and our friends walked on right after us at 10:40 with a 10:30 check in. 
chops lunch is in main dining room. You can buy chops lunch at $20 at chops. 
the reserved key seats in theater are no difference then the seats I am at. You still have to arrive early. 

What exactly is VIP access to shows?  I figured it meant a certain area is reserved and we could arrive any time for the "best seats" (I know it's subjective)?  It also got me thinking that my wife is deaf and they usually reserve seats for her anyway at the front with interpreters.  I am thinking this benefit of the Key isn't beneficial now LOL

Also, I am a diamond member and I didn't think I had early access to board a ship.  I thought it was only for diamond + or pinnacle members?  

I am not interested in flow rider or rockwall.

I liked the idea of joining embarkation early and debarking whenever we want to (minus self assist).  

You do make very good points though.

47 minutes ago, slyster said:

Also, I am a diamond member and I didn't think I had early access to board a ship.  I thought it was only for diamond + or pinnacle members?  

Only suites and possibly pinnacles can arrive one hour outside of their scheduled arrival time

We booked Allure 3 weeks out for a June cruise. The ship was full but I did manage to get 3 staterooms near each other with 2 connected( elderly gramma) . We had a check in time of 2pm as it was all that was available. We also needed early departure. With 

with Key, which I got for 19.99 on sale, we were allowed to board at 10:30 or whatever the first group is. You have to be there for the first group or you go back to your original time.

We went on with the suite guests. We were able to book all our shows within 1 minutes of boarding using the app. Many in our social media group were unable to get reservations to the comedy show and to the Aquatheater ; they had boarding times of noon and after.

Between the early boarding, priority debarkation, ability to book shows and the included internet, the Key was absolutely worth the price.The lunch was a nice addition as was not having to carry our carry on very far- we checked it somewhere once we boarded.

We didn't use any of the other "features " such as the flow rider hours or that stuff. Our use was entirely for early on, early off ,  internet.

We were not able to do "walk off" debarkation on this cruise as we had so much stuff with gramma- walker, wheelchair, oxygen , yada yada. so having the Key was crucial. Long story short, without the Key we would not have made our plane. We were off the ship before the luggage. Luggage was delayed this particular sailing and Key comes out right  after suites.

for our particular needs it was a no-brainer and we got more than our money's worth.

Edited by forgotmyCCname
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recent Key experience feedback!  We are seriously considering the Key for a Mediterranean cruise next summer that includes 2 tender ports. It seems that most Key reviews are negative, but helpful to hear it works for some in the right circumstances. 

23 hours ago, renza said:

oasis class ships you get on so quick that key makes zero difference.... The only people that get key are people who have never cruised oasis class before.

The last time I cruised on Oasis, I stood in line for about an hour just to get into the terminal. Then another hour or so inside the terminal. And then by the time I got on the ship, many of the shows were already booked during the times I wanted, the Windjammer was packed, and the pools were packed. 

I cruise on Harmony in a couple months. I'll probably be getting the Key because I'm not in a suite, I don't have Diamond+ status, and life is too short to wait in line.

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just reserved seating

...which, based on my recent experience on the Enchantment, has become a bit of a joke. There was noone there asking to see our sea pass card like in previous years, so anyone was sitting in that "reserved" area in the back of the theatre. I saw some guy who looked more official than the average passenger and so showed him my card (LOL). Turns out he WAS just another passenger. What impressed me I guess was that he was wearing his pinnacle pin. Felt like an idiot. 😆

Having done some research on this, I found: On embarkation day, we have observed The Key guests usually board with Diamond/Diamond Plus guests, so this is especially useful for guests newer to Royal Caribbean. 

So does this mean that people who are Gold, Platinum, or Emerald can wait in the same embarkation line as Diamond (or higher)?  

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

We went on with the suite guests

True, but in one respect being able to do so seems a tad unfair relative to what suite guests have paid for - namely, alot more than the cost of a Key program. So it makes Suite members' lines longer at embarkation. Not sure what the answer is for how to best reward either top tier or suite guests. Then, too, it's not really fair that Pinnacle boards with all other suite pax since some of them are probably first-timers. It should be Pinnacle (separate line), then suites, then Key, then everybody else. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

5 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Haven't seen lines by status since restart except  suites.

This ties in with what I just posted. Seems like things have changed moreso to just greater percentages of passengers winding up in the same lines regardless of tier or suite level. 

6 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

We booked Allure 3 weeks out for a June cruise. The ship was full but I did manage to get 3 staterooms near each other with 2 connected( elderly gramma) . We had a check in time of 2pm as it was all that was available. We also needed early departure. With 

with Key, which I got for 19.99 on sale, we were allowed to board at 10:30 or whatever the first group is. You have to be there for the first group or you go back to your original time.

We went on with the suite guests. We were able to book all our shows within 1 minutes of boarding using the app. Many in our social media group were unable to get reservations to the comedy show and to the Aquatheater ; they had boarding times of noon and after.

Between the early boarding, priority debarkation, ability to book shows and the included internet, the Key was absolutely worth the price.The lunch was a nice addition as was not having to carry our carry on very far- we checked it somewhere once we boarded.

We didn't use any of the other "features " such as the flow rider hours or that stuff. Our use was entirely for early on, early off ,  internet.

We were not able to do "walk off" debarkation on this cruise as we had so much stuff with gramma- walker, wheelchair, oxygen , yada yada. so having the Key was crucial. Long story short, without the Key we would not have made our plane. We were off the ship before the luggage. Luggage was delayed this particular sailing and Key comes out right  after suites.

for our particular needs it was a no-brainer and we got more than our money's worth.

If I can get it for $19.99 a day, I would pull the trigger.  Thanks for your feedback too!