Eating at the Haven

BirdTravels

What a beautiful job you did with the photos, Mr. Byrd!  

The review was great as well.  

In the lunch photos above might the "spaghetti squash" actually be the lemon shrimp scampi?  

Always enjoy your reviews because you take the time to post all the menus from the bars and restaurants even if done before - just to be kind enough to bring us all up to date and avoid endless searches for the latest.  

What's your next NCL adventure?  Prima?  

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

One reason why the Breakaway/Getaway are some of my least favorite ships.  The Haven is an afterthought and big steps back from its predecessor Epic.  Besides the tiny restaurant, it's courtyard is small and the Haven sundeck has no water features. 
If I was considering the Haven on any NCL ship these ships would be last on my list.  The Escape corrected most of these shortcomings in the Haven.  Then Bliss/Encore took the Haven to another level.  Now Prima took it even higher.  But anyone that has sailed Bliss or Encore or even Epic in the Haven and sailed Breakaway or Getaway, they will be surprised.

I sometimes feel bad, dripping wet in a swimsuit from the hot tub or pool, walking next to someone eating lunch. 

5 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

They could add a few more potatoes to the breakfast entrees 😋

Yep!!!! Thankfully you can always ask for more. We also think they could add more shrimp to the off-menu shrimp cocktail. So we (we being my husband) orders nine shrimp, instead of three. On surf and turf night, I generally get one turf and three surf. Mmmm, it's all coming back to me! Haven on the Getaway in four days!!!!!

Those little hashbrown circles the Haven has are delicious too! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

What a beautiful job you did with the photos, Mr. Byrd!  

The review was great as well.  

What's your next NCL adventure?  Prima?  

It’s not Mr Bird. Just Bird

Yes. Probably scampi 

Yes to Prima after she transits to the US. Getting excited. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

On surf and turf night, I generally get one turf and three surf. Mmmm, it's all coming back to me! Haven on the Getaway in four days!!!!!

The table next to us ask the waiter for "Surf without Turf". And they were perfectly serious about it.

We just told our waiter to add a lobster tail or two to any thing we ordered. 

So rather than the normal surf and turf (petite filet), we ordered the Delmonico Steak (which we prefer) and added lobster. 

• Like 3

@BirdTravels thank you!!!  Loved the pics, too. We are in the Haven in less than two weeks. Love that you can add lobster to any meal.
  @cruiseny4life thank you for the great suggestion to order the off-menu shrimp cocktail. The Shrimp Louie with thousand island dressing all over the shrimp does not look appealing at all.  

• Like 1

We are in the Haven september 29th for 9 nights!!! Looking forward to the Haven restaurant once again! My wife has the Surf and Turf at least 3 times and that was on a 7 night cruise, my guess will be more like 5 for 9 nights

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I sometimes feel bad, dripping wet in a swimsuit from the hot tub or pool, walking next to someone eating lunch. 

Yeah, that would seem weird to me from either side - either as the dripping wet person or if I was trying to eat a sit down lunch.

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So rather than the normal surf and turf (petite filet), we ordered the Delmonico Steak (which we prefer) and added lobster. 

I intend to go similarly "off model" by requesting lobster with the prime rib.  I enjoy prime rib, but never order it at a restaurant because the bang for the buck isn't there for me.  (By the time you cut away all the fat, there isn't enough choice portion left to warrant the cost.)  But that's not an issue on the cruise, so that's going to be the first dinner I order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

I intend to go similarly "off model" by requesting lobster with the prime rib.  I enjoy prime rib, but never order it at a restaurant because the bang for the buck isn't there for me.  (By the time you cut away all the fat, there isn't enough choice portion left to warrant the cost.)  But that's not an issue on the cruise, so that's going to be the first dinner I order.

Also @BirdTravels - this ^ is what I do as well. That prime rib with a couple lobster tails is just perfection on the plate!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The table next to us ask the waiter for "Surf without Turf". And they were perfectly serious about it.

THAT sounds really good.  Next cruise I’ll have to remember that.

15 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

Supposedly, the prime rib is the same as Cagney's (i.e., the some of the Cagney roasts are brought up to the Haven galley to be served), except it is free. 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:41 PM, BirdTravels said:

It’s not Mr Bird. Just Bird

Yes. Probably scampi 

Yes to Prima after she transits to the US. Getting excited. 

I stand corrected, sorry.  It's also not "Byrd" like I somehow wrote!

Will look forward to "Bird's" Prima Review soon!

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I apologize for this question as we have only cruised with NCL once back in 2017 and it was in the Haven. One thing we found odd was that the Haven never changed their dinner menu once on our 7-day cruise on the Getaway. Is that still the case or do they now change it every night?

Menu is always the same in the Haven, regardless of ship. Not sure if Prima has a different menu.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Menu is always the same in the Haven, regardless of ship. Not sure if Prima has a different menu.

Prima has the standard Haven menu, people have been posting from the preview sailing this week. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:55 PM, BirdTravels said:

We were recently on the Norwegian Breakaway and had the great fortune to dine at the Haven on several occasions. The Haven Restaurant on the Breakaway is too small to handle all of the Haven passengers. "Overflow" seating is provided in the courtyard around the pool. 

@BirdTravels Thanks for sharing the menus and pictures!

• Thanks 1