Eating at the Haven

BirdTravels

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I agree. I would rather pay for an inside room and then eat in specialty restaurants and still have a lot of money left over.  Just do not get the Haven status symbol thingy.  Besides front of ship can be windy.  New Carnival ships have their fancy aand expensive areas in the aft where there is less wind

For me, it has nothing to do with status. I'm just not a status kinda gal. For me, it's doing something special for myself. Life is very quick, I work hard, I am financially responsible. Special vacations, at this point in my life, is what I like. I just don't do it very often. Which is partly why when I do, it is really special! I could cruise twice a year in a balcony, or whatever, but I prefer not to. However, I totally understand those who prefer to do it that way. Really looking forward to the Prima's aft Haven. About time they put it there!

Edited by Greenpea2
  • Like 10

21 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

For me, it has nothing to do with status. I'm just not a status kinda gal. For me, it's doing something special for myself. Life is very quick, I work hard, I am financially responsible. Special vacations, at this point in my life, is what I like. I just don't do it very often. Which is partly why when I do, it is really special! I could cruise twice a year in a balcony, or whatever, but I prefer not to. However, I totally understand those who prefer to do it that way. Really looking forward to the Prima's aft Haven. About time they put it there!

just out of curiosity, I've never noticed before that the Haven on all ships are forward, what is the problem with that? I guess we always book midship and only thing i notice going forward is the ship movement, specially on a transatlantic.

8 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

just out of curiosity, I've never noticed before that the Haven on all ships are forward, what is the problem with that? I guess we always book midship and only thing i notice going forward is the ship movement, specially on a transatlantic.

It is very windy when the ship is moving. Even in warm weather, it's just not ideal. VERY windy! Aft should be much more conducive to hanging out outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Except all of the new ships starting with the Prima where the back of the ship is Haven rooms. There is no longer a true Haven courtyard, just rooms on all of the top aft decks. With a lounge, pool, restaurant on the upper decks. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Having just done Prima aft Haven, not a fan.  Probably mostly due to lack of roof over pool area making it unusable most days due to weather.  Also, not much shade for those sunny days in warm climates

19 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We booked a Deluxe Owners Suite on Breakaway last March for our anniversary cruise.   This was Western Caribbean out of NOLA.  Didn't matter what direction the ship was traveling, the forward balcony was unusable for our entire cruise unless the ship was in port.  

In fact, the winds were so severe that twice crew entered our cabin, once while we were sleeping, to lash all the balcony furniture down.

We like our balconies so our next cruise is in an Aft Penthouse.  Our next cruise is on Prima so much looking forward to the aft Haven location.

We're not pool people the lack of a roof doesn't matter to us.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 3

It's been a while since I sailed NCL, what time does the Haven restaurant typically stop full lunch service on embarkation day?  I seem to remember some food options still available when embarking around 3pm - grill area?   Not sure if it matters, will be sailing Epic from Rome departing at 5pm.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:47 AM, CDR Benson said:

I intend to go similarly "off model" by requesting lobster with the prime rib.  I enjoy prime rib, but never order it at a restaurant because the bang for the buck isn't there for me.  (By the time you cut away all the fat, there isn't enough choice portion left to warrant the cost.)  But that's not an issue on the cruise, so that's going to be the first dinner I order.

On my cruise on Breakaway last March, my mission was to find out which restaurant had the best prime rib.  I came to the conclusion it was at the Haven.  It never dawned on me to order a lobster tail with it!  Next September when I'm aboard Escape I'll try just that!

Elvis

7 hours ago, Elvis1209 said:

On my cruise on Breakaway last March, my mission was to find out which restaurant had the best prime rib.  I came to the conclusion it was at the Haven.  It never dawned on me to order a lobster tail with it!  Next September when I'm aboard Escape I'll try just that!

Elvis

It's the perfect dinner! Order three or four tails to go with and you'll be even happier! 🙂 I typically pair my prime rib/lobster tail night dinner with the mashed potatoes (I forgot the fancy schmancy term on the menu) as I don't care for the baked potato. I never have enough butter, sour cream, or cheese and I feel bad asking for the server to just leave the toppings bowls on the table as I'd use them all up. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

It's the perfect dinner! Order three or four tails to go with and you'll be even happier!

That's exactly what I did every night we had dinner in the Haven Restaurant.

As a rule, even though I love it, I never order prime rib in a conventional restaurant.  Even the best cuts have too much fat to trim away to make it a good cost-benefit ratio.  But, of course, that's not a consideration in the Haven Restaurant.

The first night I requested only one lobster tail, then I discovered how small they were.  After that, I requested them in multiples with my prime rib.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Boschmann said:

It's been a while since I sailed NCL, what time does the Haven restaurant typically stop full lunch service on embarkation day?  I seem to remember some food options still available when embarking around 3pm - grill area?   Not sure if it matters, will be sailing Epic from Rome departing at 5pm.

I think it's 2pm. After that, you can order from the "snack" menu either at the bar/lounge or on the Haven pool deck/sundeck. I put "snack" in quotes because that menu has very substantial offerings, like a fish sandwich with fries, chicken caesar wrap, etc.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 12:14 PM, RocketMan275 said:

We booked a Deluxe Owners Suite on Breakaway last March for our anniversary cruise.   This was Western Caribbean out of NOLA.  Didn't matter what direction the ship was traveling, the forward balcony was unusable for our entire cruise unless the ship was in port.  

In fact, the winds were so severe that twice crew entered our cabin, once while we were sleeping, to lash all the balcony furniture down.

We like our balconies so our next cruise is in an Aft Penthouse.  Our next cruise is on Prima so much looking forward to the aft Haven location.

We're not pool people the lack of a roof doesn't matter to us.

How was the noise from room next door with movable wall?  Do they still have the door to go from front balcony to side?

On 10/12/2022 at 9:06 AM, CDR Benson said:

That's exactly what I did every night we had dinner in the Haven Restaurant.

As a rule, even though I love it, I never order prime rib in a conventional restaurant.  Even the best cuts have too much fat to trim away to make it a good cost-benefit ratio.  But, of course, that's not a consideration in the Haven Restaurant.

The first night I requested only one lobster tail, then I discovered how small they were.  After that, I requested them in multiples with my prime rib.

Just switched rooms to Haven for my upcoming 14 night retirement cruise. My husband is disappointed they took away his favorite seafood eggs benedict breakfast. I told him to request it anyway. This is the old menu 😞

ncl breakfast.jpg

17 minutes ago, 2boyzmom said:

Just switched rooms to Haven for my upcoming 14 night retirement cruise. My husband is disappointed they took away his favorite seafood eggs benedict breakfast. I told him to request it anyway. This is the old menu 😞

ncl breakfast.jpg

Yes! Request it!! They'll make it for you, although I haven't seen Choron Sauce on any of the new Haven menus so he might be out of luck on that one. 

In September I requested crab cakes for my Eggs Benedict the night before I wanted them. They just wanted to know if I wanted one or two. It was delish after I requested more hollandaise. As you can see they were pretty conservative with the sauce on the initial dip of the sauce spoon.

I feel Deja vu. Did we talk about this before? 😍

image.thumb.jpeg.0eb91431b6d16e8a4d7bb879f650dd86.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

How was the noise from room next door with movable wall?  Do they still have the door to go from front balcony to side?

Noise wasn't an issue from either adjoining cabin.

None of the balcony, side or front, was useable when the ship was in motion.

Perhaps  mr Bird travels can give some guidance , we are in HG haven next week .With the premium plus upgraded beverage package can I order a bottle of the included champagne and bring it to my suite at lunch time ? Then I  can enjoy later in my cabin . Our suite is a foreword haven and it’s a little bit of walk every time I want a drink or some wine , from haven bar . Thanks for any tips .

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, scooter6139 said:

This is what I got from our PCC:

• Breakfast - $20 per person
  • Lunch - $25 per person
  • Dinner - $45 per person

I have absolutely no plans to do this, but I wonder how they could possibly prevent a Haven guest from inviting a non-Haven guest to make use of the Haven Pool and Sundeck on a consistent basis. My wife thinks they have a good idea as to who the 250 Haven guests are at any time, but I question how they could possibly keep track of that week in and week out.

2 hours ago, Schnel said:

I have absolutely no plans to do this, but I wonder how they could possibly prevent a Haven guest from inviting a non-Haven guest to make use of the Haven Pool and Sundeck on a consistent basis. My wife thinks they have a good idea as to who the 250 Haven guests are at any time, but I question how they could possibly keep track of that week in and week out.

Your picture is on their computer.  So is your status as a Haven guest.  They can see who is entering the Haven proper.

2 hours ago, Schnel said:

I have absolutely no plans to do this, but I wonder how they could possibly prevent a Haven guest from inviting a non-Haven guest to make use of the Haven Pool and Sundeck on a consistent basis

The concierge and the rest of the Haven staff have access to the names and faces of the Haven guests for each cruise. Whenever a Haven guest uses their room card to enter the Haven, the guest's picture pops up on the concierge's computer. The same happens when going to the Haven restaurant. 

Nothing is perfect and someone can get lucky by sneaking in but the staff usually catch interlopers.

We were hanging out on the Breakaway Haven sundeck years ago and there was an obnoxious group partying/yelling/screaming in and around the whirlpool. They were driving us CRAZY and one person pulled out his keycard to buy more drinks. My astute, eagle-eyed friend said "it's NOT a Haven Card"!

I walked down to the Concierge who said there was nothing he could do (!) so I marched down to Guest Relations. I was explaining the situation to the officer who didn't actually wait for me to finish before she called security.

I headed back (got a cocktail on the way) and watched the floor show. Two very polite officers walked out onto the deck and asked EVERYONE to please show their Haven cards.  About 10 (!!!) people left and we enjoyed the rest of the now quiet day.

In this case, the Concierge did nothing but I concur that they are usually EXTREMELY eagle eyed and watching out for interlopers!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Schnel said:

The Concierge staff know who that passengers are that week and should question stranger danger. 

The restaurant hosts are even more in tune with every passenger. After the first day, they can normally pull you up by name. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

We were hanging out on the Breakaway Haven sundeck years ago and there was an obnoxious group partying/yelling/screaming in and around the whirlpool. They were driving us CRAZY and one person pulled out his keycard to buy more drinks. My astute, eagle-eyed friend said "it's NOT a Haven Card"!

I walked down to the Concierge who said there was nothing he could do (!) so I marched down to Guest Relations. I was explaining the situation to the officer who didn't actually wait for me to finish before she called security.

I headed back (got a cocktail on the way) and watched the floor show. Two very polite officers walked out onto the deck and asked EVERYONE to please show their Haven cards.  About 10 (!!!) people left and we enjoyed the rest of the now quiet day.

In this case, the Concierge did nothing but I concur that they are usually EXTREMELY eagle eyed and watching out for interlopers!

We had this happen on the Escape. It was eventually taken care of by the staff after complaints (including from my husband). After we got home, he got in contact with corporate and stated his case. After some back and forth, we ended up with on-board credit.

The reason we were so upset is that the sun deck was crowded that day and the interlopers were taking up prime day beds -- and of course being obnoxious about it.

I agree that the staff recognizes you. It is not uncommon for us to be greeted by name before we hand our card to the host at the restaurant.

• Like 1