Florida Visitors - Love Bugs

villager70

Just a little note for anyone driving down  to their cruise in the next week or so. Noticed our semi annual flying pest the last couple  days which usually come in May & Sept. If you get them on the paint of the front of your vehicle and let them remain on there a week or so  they  release a substance  that will discolor or eat away paint. We always bring a couple bottles of water and a throw away cloth and check the front of vehicle when we park in garage.   Safe travels and good health to all. Nancy & Bob.    The Villages, Florida

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villager70 said:

Just a little note for anyone driving down  to their cruise in the next week or so. Noticed our semi annual flying pest the last couple  days which usually come in May & Sept. If you get them on the paint of the front of your vehicle and let them remain on there a week or so  they  release a substance  that will discolor or eat away paint. We always bring a couple bottles of water and a throw away cloth and check the front of vehicle when we park in garage.   Safe travels and good health to all. Nancy & Bob.    The Villages, Florida

My husband does the same thing!  We always cruise Labor Day week. I was on that ship with all the love bugs, still had them on balcony days into the cruise.

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This is from our pre-pandemic cruise in May 2019 on the Harmony out of PC. The crew was still scraping bugs off the ship on Day 3. Love Bugs everywhere, on the deck, on the loungers, on the windows, in the rooms. 

6B9F07D1-5683-432D-93A6-41801FDF2729.jpeg

6AA8D61F-7C2D-4788-927D-4D527754A2C9.jpeg

5B99BF76-B7D4-43F5-BB4D-1D9EFBCC1BE7.jpeg

629C30F9-E356-4408-9426-E94476C51A8D.jpeg

797E73AD-0E37-4B1F-A839-123B57F6101E.jpeg

8F5FD1BD-C110-435B-A133-1E7EB79B32A9.jpeg

EEEEWWWW!!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, we don't exactly have the most appealing creatures down here, lol.

I grew up in the Philly burbs with deer, bunnies, chipmunks, etc. Moved down here and it's gators, snakes, lizards, armadillos, love bugs (yes, we have still have some cute, furry animals too).

On the plus side, it's ungodly hot for what seems like 9-10 months/year. But hey, I can drive an hour to PC so there's that.

• Like 1

haven't seen first one for fall season around Canaveral yet ....  they were very light in the spring .....

Simple Green works well for removing them. keep a spray bottle and cleaning rag in my vehicle.

diluted simple green will strip any wax from your finish ... full strength simple green can remove paint .... I'm a person who cares about and takes care of his cars and I'm not guessing .... I've EXPERIENCED!!!!!  .....  I recommend a VERY weak solution (BASIC Simple Green is usually sold as a concentrate and dilution is MOST important ... read the label ... for heavy duty cleaning they recommend a 1:1 dilution, 1 cup SG, one cup water ..... they never recommend FULL STRENGTH ... general purpose is 1oz SG to 1 cup water which is 1:10)

not to be argumentative but YES ..... I fully suspect folks would buy this and not read the label. I bought this stuff in a standard spray bottle - looked like a bottle of windex - but fortunately I KNEW from previous exposure what the 'useable' color should be and read the label and found that dilution was required. Tell me ... what other product comes in a bottle where you should pour out half or more? The spray bottle contained full strength SG and using this is a BAD idea.  I've seen some folks REALLY screw up their car . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ

FYI

drove from the Port area to MCO area and back today on 528 .....

had around a dozen SPLATS when I got back (went thru the car wash - flat rate monthly fee for washes)

these happened in the 'swamp' section between DALLAS Road and SR-520 .... have yet to see one in the beach area.

OTOH ... an oldie

love bugs.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

On 8/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, fpcruiser said:

How long do these bugs stick around?  Beginning of October?

Twice a year - May and Sept/Oct. They eat the paint off your car if you let them stay on your vehicle. 

I've found a good paste wax coating on the front of the car and front facing part of the side mirrors is very useful as a preventive step. Then a portable clothes steamer will loosen the bug detritus for an easy wipe off.

Haven't seen the bugs yet in the Tequesta - Hobe Sound - Stuart area.