Oceania App?

fink402

14 hours ago, pinotlover said:

An Oceania app. What a great plan! 🥴. Put more pressure on the ship’s WiFi that already runs at a snail’s pace! 🙄

I don’t need to read Currents, I’ve got an app! Let me check the app for what’s for dinner. Yep, just what the system needs! 😂😂. All those cruisers, not able to sleep, can be glued to their smartphones at 03:00 to see how long the ball spins so to check their app! 

In theory, if there was an app it would query a server onboard the ship [intranet] rather than use the glacial internet and connect ashore.  This is my biggest gripe about the guest satisfaction survey, I wish it would reference a server onboard rather than try to connect to land at the same time many are trying to check in online, etc... further slowing down the internet.  

I've been reading all the comments about "to app" or "not to app" and I thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.... 

We've cruised both Viking Oceans and Crystal.  Both of those lines had incredibly useful apps to use while onboard.  Neither required internet, they referenced the ships intranet and a server onboard.  Although the apps did work, and offered a ton of good information, guess what I referred to during the day?  The printed schedule.  We would also go down to view the posted menu outside the restaurants to see what was for dinner.  Just tradition for us.  For me, it was just habit and easier to glance at the printed schedule rather than use the app.  Next month we are scheduled to sail on Royal Caribbean and they are now pretty app focused, I'm curious what my opinion will be if the printed daily Compass (daily schedule) isn't easily available and we're forced to use the app.  

Funny side story, to me at least... a number of years ago we were on another cruise line, a completely different demographic from the typical Oceania guest and this cruise line pretty much reads the daily schedule out multiple times a day.  It was/is obnoxious.  However during that cruise on a sea day someone casually asked me, "do you know if we're stopping somewhere today?"  I overheard someone asking the staff at the entrance to the buffet how much breakfast was.  The moral of the story is if people get on a ship not knowing what sea days are, or that the buffet is included in their fare, no, they don't read the daily newsletter so it is semi needed for the cruise director to verbally tell everyone about what is going on.  I do wish the cruise director's run downs were a little more condensed but I don't mind them so much anymore.  

• Haha 2

Another issue is one referenced in a previous thread - the menus don’t arrive on the TV at a set time, the person updating the menus on the TV would probably be responsible for updating the info to go onto the app. 

I don’t see the app getting the menus at a set time, if they can’t get them onto the TV at a set time. 

IF you knew the menus would be on the app at 10am, it would be worth it, but I can’t see them managing it … whether due to overwork for the person whose job it is or logistics from the F&B department. 

37 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Another issue is one referenced in a previous thread - the menus don’t arrive on the TV at a set time, the person updating the menus on the TV would probably be responsible for updating the info to go onto the app. 

I don’t see the app getting the menus at a set time, if they can’t get them onto the TV at a set time. 

IF you knew the menus would be on the app at 10am, it would be worth it, but I can’t see them managing it … whether due to overwork for the person whose job it is or logistics from the F&B department. 

Other cruise lines can do all this.  This is not an excuse.  Information should be provided in all the forms possible.  We are all not the same.   Just because a number of people prefer to live their lives low tech does not mean the hi tech people should have to follow suit.  Sometimes you just don't want to carry paper with you.  In an ideal world I would like access to the menus off ship when we have a late/over night departure.  I might choose to eat in town or go back depending on the menu that day.

Thats in an ideal world lets not discuss technical hurdles.

Also in an ideal world you could put in a custom meal request for something on the app

Having a reminder on my smart watch telling me to go to a spa or some other appointment would be nice.  I shouldn't have to add the appointment manually to my calendar because the app should know.

Likewise if they are running behind I would be notified as well.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Other cruise lines can do all this.  This is not an excuse.  Information should be provided in all the forms possible.  We are all not the same.   Just because a number of people prefer to live their lives low tech does not mean the hi tech people should have to follow suit.  Sometimes you just don't want to carry paper with you.  In an ideal world I would like access to the menus off ship when we have a late/over night departure.  I might choose to eat in town or go back depending on the menu that day.

Thats in an ideal world lets not discuss technical hurdles.

Also in an ideal world you could put in a custom meal request for something on the app

Having a reminder on my smart watch telling me to go to a spa or some other appointment would be nice.  I shouldn't have to add the appointment manually to my calendar because the app should know.

Likewise if they are running behind I would be notified as well.

Well until they can update the menus on the TV ina timely fashion, I am not sure anything is going to catch up. 

I think I enjoy the excitement of the activity sheet on the bed … maybe I am easily pleased. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

YIKES  no wonder people's memories are failing  if they need to have an app to remind them of things for the day🙄

What if you see the dinner menu   & you have a Specialty reservation  would you cancel  it in favour of the GDR??

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

YIKES  no wonder people's memories are failing  if they need to have an app to remind them of things for the day🙄

What if you see the dinner menu   & you have a Specialty reservation  would you cancel  it in favour of the GDR??

Possible but please don't tell we all have to live our vacations one way!

• Haha 1

Be careful what you wish for. I see apps everywhere in restaurants, fast food places etc. I see a big decline in service in pretty all of them in the post covid era. Just my observation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

Be careful what you wish for. I see apps everywhere in restaurants, fast food places etc. I see a big decline in service in pretty all of them in the post covid era. Just my observation. 

GEEZ - Thats because they can't hire people not because of the APPS.  Example:  We had a favorite seafood restaurant that has been here for 40 years just close down and consolidate it's staff with another location because they could not get enough servers and cooks.

1 minute ago, zalusky said:

GEEZ - Thats because they can't hire people not because of the APPS.  Example:  We had a favorite seafood restaurant that has been here for 40 years just close down and consolidate it's staff with another location because they could not get enough servers and cooks.

That's the word on the street, but it's a big country, there are a lot of places with plenty of workers. I won't argue the point with you, you're on the coast, I'm in the Midwest, we live in different worlds. I also won't tell you how to live your vacations, but I will say when I'm on Oceania I'm just fine with their way without apps, when I'm on Celebrity I'm fine with using their app. 

I did mention this on another thread, don't know if you saw it or not. On a very recent Oceania Insights Panel survey they asked questions about app use. It's obviously on their radar. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ORV said:

That's the word on the street, but it's a big country, there are a lot of places with plenty of workers. I won't argue the point with you, you're on the coast, I'm in the Midwest, we live in different worlds. I also won't tell you how to live your vacations, but I will say when I'm on Oceania I'm just fine with their way without apps, when I'm on Celebrity I'm fine with using their app. 

I did mention this on another thread, don't know if you saw it or not. On a very recent Oceania Insights Panel survey they asked questions about app use. It's obviously on their radar. 

Speaking of apps and you may already know this, we are booked on the Southern Australia Circumnavigation leg and it appears they now force you to use smartphone apps for getting the ETA Visa.  Oceania sent us an email saying they can no longer do this for the passenger.  It was was a nice wizard walking through all the steps but it is not like my 2016 trip where I did it through a website.  This one wanted to read the chip on my passport and scan my face amongst lots of other questions.  Still it was only $13 or so and good for a full year vs 3 months or so in the old days

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Yeah probs if it was the cheese soufflé and I was in a PH and could order in if I wanted to on another night…. 😉 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Speaking of apps and you may already know this, we are booked on the Southern Australia Circumnavigation leg and it appears they now force you to use smartphone apps for getting the ETA Visa.  Oceania sent us an email saying they can no longer do this for the passenger.  It was was a nice wizard walking through all the steps but it is not like my 2016 trip where I did it through a website.  This one wanted to read the chip on my passport and scan my face amongst lots of other questions.  Still it was only $13 or so and good for a full year vs 3 months or so in the old days

I wasn't aware of that, but you definitely have a point about needing to have a Smart phone and know how to use it for a large part of future travel. We also went to AU in Feb 2016 on Marina, then 32 days to PPT. 

• Like 1

Evolving tech is a part of travel. When was the last time anyone actually went to a travel agent in person and booked an airline ticket and had it written or printed out in front of them? 

I’d be upset if we went back to the old style muster now that’s for sure for example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

I wasn't aware of that, but you definitely have a point about needing to have a Smart phone and know how to use it for a large part of future travel. We also went to AU in Feb 2016 on Marina, then 32 days to PPT. 

Not just OZ but also NZ has an app for their e-visa.

Hi tech or low tech, I’m against neither. We had a long discussion about QR codes replacing printed menus . A lot of people were opposed.

The only thing, and it can be multiple, I’m against is anything that puts more demand on Oceania ships wifi! I’ve been on cruises where I can only check email every three days or so. Telling me they’re taking away Currents and to use the app, is a no go, when globe just spins.

Outside of maybe choosing whether to bring a bottle of white or red to the GDR, why do people need to know what’s for dinner at lunch? The menus in the Specialties haven’t changed for years, maybe a decade! No guessing there.

So yes, I’m against more demand, for non  essentials, on the already overtaxed wifi system. Hi tech or low tech.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Hi tech or low tech, I’m against neither. We had a long discussion about QR codes replacing printed menus . A lot of people were opposed.

The only thing, and it can be multiple, I’m against is anything that puts more demand on Oceania ships wifi! I’ve been on cruises where I can only check email every three days or so. Telling me they’re taking away Currents and to use the app, is a no go, when globe just spins.

Outside of maybe choosing whether to bring a bottle of white or red to the GDR, why do people need to know what’s for dinner at lunch? The menus in the Specialties haven’t changed for years, maybe a decade! No guessing there.

So yes, I’m against more demand, for non  essentials, on the already overtaxed wifi system. Hi tech or low tech.

While I disagree with you, I respect that your reason is well argued and thoughtful.  

36 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

You should be complaining about their Wi-Fi technology then and having local servers.

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

You should be complaining about their Wi-Fi technology then and having local servers.

In which decade was that!!??

Complaining about WiFi on Oceania is like complaining about no rain in the Sahara Desert! If you have any water, you’d better be conserving it. It’s not going to rain. 

• Haha 1

Getting in ship intranet is a cost center for O as is app development and beta testing so this is probably a cost consideration for them.  I'm surprised however they are not leveraging NCLs platforms to save some costs (they might already be doing that - who knows!).  That being said, I'm all for unplugging for a holiday.  During COVID i had a steep tech learning curve working from home.  I'm proficient enough to where I don't mind QR codes, apps, etc to assist my life.  DH on the other hand is a analog guy who happens to be proficient with his iPad but not his phone.  I just hate wasting all that paper.  My long winded way of saying that we're going with the flow on vacation and app or no app, we're there to enjoy our time on ship, sailing the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

In which decade was that!!??

Complaining about WiFi on Oceania is like complaining about no rain in the Sahara Desert! If you have any water, you’d better be conserving it. It’s not going to rain. 

There is a big difference between in ship wifi and ship servers and ship to internet stuff.

On 8/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, LHT28 said:

Do they give you a smart phone or how did you hear the guide ??

On the river cruise  they gave us a device to use with headphones  so we could wander  a bit  from the group

Exactly. The Regent app was only for larger group shore excursions. Use your smart phone and earbuds to better hear the leader’s commentary. Low scores in the App Store.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Has anyone read this latest RCCL news?   Hoping that it's successful, and other lines have to be competitive...

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/7089/

• Like 1