Where are the comments from the Britannia Passengers?

Lakesregion

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Don't agree with you. We normally have an OV cabin as we only sleep, wash and dress in there. The money difference to a balcony we spend elsewhere. We only went for the cheapest balcony ,CA this time due to the spectre of covid, certainly next cruise we'll most likely go back to OV. Also we would never book QG or PG as don't like idea of a butler hovering around looking for work as we'd have nothing for them to do plus the extra cost just not value for money imo. Rather spend the extra on upgrading flights if needed or staying over extra days at end. 

But each to their own I know there are a lot on here who love PG and QG and wouldn't dream of being a Brittania passenger. 

It's your money you make your choice. 

Can you put a link on here to your review please?

Regards John Watson

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, john watson said:

I think the basis of the problem is that Britannia is the budget end of a Cunard cruise voyage.  People are not completely happy with describing how they went on a cruise but failed to book the top end of luxury.  If you go on other lines cruises at dinner people often open up with "we are in a suite", they are probably just saying it but on Cunard you cannot do this plausibly.

Regards John

Hell of an opening line! 

Yes we travel big cabins, no 'you' wouldn't know unless 'you' dined in the same restaurant or we share our cabin stuff with 'you'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Just for the record, the QG butler doesn't "hover around". Thery're too busy.

They are very useful when things are required for the room. They're great at helping you to organise cocktail parties and will serve drinks if asked. Sometimes if we are entertaining, we ask the butler to serve the first drink only.

They will also serve nibbles and hot canapes if required.

Worth every penny!

You beat me to it.

Butlers do not hover.

You can make use of their services as much or as in our case this year, as little as you want. They are at the end of a pager though should you have need of them which is very handy when you forget to tick the butter for the morning breakfast toast!   😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john watson said:

I think the basis of the problem is that Britannia is the budget end of a Cunard cruise voyage.  People are not completely happy with describing how they went on a cruise but failed to book the top end of luxury.  If you go on other lines cruises at dinner people often open up with "we are in a suite", they are probably just saying it but on Cunard you cannot do this plausibly.

Regards John

But almost nobody books the top suites. Inevitably, because there are few of them. Why should people be less than happy about describing their choices? I can also imagine there are some who would say they did really well to book an inside cabin for a fraction of a price of the bigger outside balconies ones and had the whole run of the ship plus an excellent night’s sleep.

• Like 3

We have sailed on all current Cunard ships and also Caronia and QE2 and have had QG, PG, Balcony and inside cabin and in the majority had excellent cruises on them all. What everyone chooses is there own business and decision and not always is it down to cost and whether you can afford it. We have sailed in QG and would never book again not because of lack of money but value for money and dont think it was worth the extra now being charged over PG. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

That has not been my experience on board Cunard. The Britannia folk are for the most part experienced cruisers and know what to expect so they have few questions to ask here. With Cunard's push to sell the up scale cabins, they have attracted many who have no idea what they are getting into as it is beyond their normal lifestyle on shore hence the numerous posts from the expensive seats.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

That has not been my experience on board Cunard. The Britannia folk are for the most part experienced cruisers and know what to expect so they have few questions to ask here. With Cunard's push to sell the up scale cabins, they have attracted many who have no idea what they are getting into as it is beyond their normal lifestyle on shore hence the numerous posts from the expensive seats.

That's a sweeping generalisation, we get lots of questions from first time cruisers sailing in both Grills and Britannia and lots of people move between grades.

We're very grateful for those who take the time to post from the ship or report back after their experience.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Assuming those who ask questions about 'the expensive seats' on a site which is set up for informing others, are out of their depths because they're  asking about others' experiences in order to help make an informed decision  is frankly, rather sad.

12 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That's a sweeping generalisation, we get lots of questions from first time cruisers sailing in both Grills and Britannia and lots of people move between grades.

We're very grateful for those who take the time to post from the ship or report back after their experience.

Just commenting from personal observation and chatting with Grill maitre de' over time.

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Assuming those who ask questions about 'the expensive seats' on a site which is set up for informing others, are out of their depths because they're  asking about others' experiences in order to help make an informed decision  is frankly, rather sad.

I think you are reading way too much onto he post. Relax and enjoy the grills. Maybe if we are both on the same cruise sometime, we can have a meal together. I realize that I am not allowed to dine "above the salt" but you can come below the  salt for a bite. We look forward to seeing you 

23 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

I think you are reading way too much onto he post. Relax and enjoy the grills. Maybe if we are both on the same cruise sometime, we can have a meal together. I realize that I am not allowed to dine "above the salt" but you can come below the  salt for a bite. We look forward to seeing you 

I don't think I was reading too much into your post but if you didn't really mean what you said, well  that's fine.

I don't dine 'down' but I will dine anywhere. I doubt very much that our paths will cross but I'm happy to dine with anyone who is happy to dine with me.

28 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Just commenting from personal observation and chatting with Grill maitre de' over time.

I would say any senior member of staff, never mind a Maître 'd   who chats about their passengers to another passenger in such a way as to appear even slightly disparaging, needs to go on a refresher course in discretion and tact.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I would say any senior member of staff, never mind a Maître 'd   who chats about their passengers to another passenger in such a way as to appear even slightly disparaging, needs to go on a refresher course in discretion and tact.

I deeply regret to say that I can think of one, a long way back, who might have done  just that.

It's  amusing to see how this has gone off piste as normal.

I had a lot of questions about QG before my first cruise (both first cruise and first Cunard) and I found the answers in CC very useful.  Experience in even top class hotels doesn't automatically transfer to cruises especially one as idiosyncratic as Cunard QG. It's wasn't about being out of ones depth,  but of gaining knowledge to be able to maximise the experience. 

• Like 3

I’m new to Cunard, sailing Brittania balcony. Thought for a moment about Brittania club, but that would have raised the price of the cruise to within a spitting distance of HAL’s verandah price. I’m a little amused by the “class rivalry” that’s emerged in this thread. I’ve been pleased to find that the Cunard forum, is, on balance more helpful and egalitarian in tone than one of the other forums for an upscale but not luxury cruise line we’re going to sail on. Those posters are competitive!!

In terms of “budget,” I have to laugh because on a recent price comparison for sample itineraries we might take, Cunard was surprisingly affordable compared to some other lines we’d cruise! Suites on any decent cruise line are expensive and come with a variety of useful or useless perks. Cunard is distinct and has a venerable tradition, but doesn’t require massive bank accounts.

I was a little concerned about not being “posh” at first, but quickly realized I know how to wear a tux or a dark suit and carry on a conversation so that I’ll be fine wherever we are on the ship. It will also be nice to not try to have a conversation with someone whose most important starter is that they are in a suite. I would think at table most would be discussing what they did or will do in port or where they’re from.

I love the luxury of the PG and QG offerings that I’ve seen, but I can’t justify the cost for a vacation when there are so many other things on my list I could do with the money. If it ever turns out I get a good deal or have a bit extra to spend, I’ll certainly go for it. For those who enjoy it and can do it, or have made it their priority to do it, good for them.

In the meantime, I’m likely to provide a Brittania review around 10 months from now.

• Like 11

20 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

If I tell people I've been on a cruise usually they ask about the destinations, the weather, the food, the activities but I've never been asked what sort of cabin I sailed in! And neither would I be interested in letting them know that. Surely most people will book a cabin that suits their own needs and preferences and be totally unconcerned with what other people think about that choice. It's a shame if people view it as some sort of competition.

And as for people announcing their 'presumed status' as an opening gambit in a conversation thank heavens we were all taught at our mother's knee that good manners cost nothing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

If I tell people I've been on a cruise usually they ask about the destinations, the weather, the food, the activities but I've never been asked what sort of cabin I sailed in! And neither would I be interested in letting them know that. Surely most people will book a cabin that suits their own needs and preferences and be totally unconcerned with what other people think about that choice. It's a shame if people view it as some sort of competition.

And as for people announcing their 'presumed status' as an opening gambit in a conversation thank heavens we were all taught at our mother's knee that good manners cost nothing.

What a sensible post.

I'm afraid I put  'what cabin are you in'

in with the

'and what do you do for a living'

and

'I paid such and such for this cruise'

into the occasionally commented on category, just as in this thread  for example,, but direct questions as such I have never experienced in thirty years of taking cruises.

Edit

Yes, the first two subjects might crop up in general conversation later as relationships between table companions progress but not as direct questions as such.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

On other cruise lines without seperate restaurants and lounges, never had  any one say "I'm  in a suite" as an opener , surely no-one would be so "Hyacinth " even Hyacinth. 

This talk of Brittania  vs Grills class distinction on Cunard is mainly in the mind of people who have never been on Cunard.

• Like 1

I have never been asked by anyone about what stateroom or suite I am in while chatting since we started cruising with Cunard in 1997. We have had a few strange looks when getting in lifts and putting in cruise card to access QG/PG deck from those that are not in there.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 8:18 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

Don't agree with you. We normally have an OV cabin as we only sleep, wash and dress in there. The money difference to a balcony we spend elsewhere. We only went for the cheapest balcony ,CA this time due to the spectre of covid, certainly next cruise we'll most likely go back to OV. Also we would never book QG or PG as don't like idea of a butler hovering around looking for work as we'd have nothing for them to do plus the extra cost just not value for money imo. Rather spend the extra on upgrading flights if needed or staying over extra days at end. 

But each to their own I know there are a lot on here who love PG and QG and wouldn't dream of being a Brittania passenger. 

It's your money you make your choice. 

I agree, I can’t imagine someone not wanting to post because they were “only” a Britannia passenger. People chose their entry point based on many factors and it is not always about budget. 

• Like 3

For what little it probably is worth, I will share a few thoughts about my Britannia experience on QM2 quite some time pre-Covid.  The stateroom was one of the sheltered balcony ones.  A very nice stateroom, bath, and cabin service.  The veranda, however, because of the steel hull, prevented no view of the sea when seated in the comfortable deck chair.  Great views of the sky, though.  Wouldn't book such a stateroom again.

Seated at a second seating round table for 6, next to a window, near the front of the restaurant.  Only 4 were assigned (delightful people) until our officious and obnoxious Assistant Maitre d' added a Mother/Daughter duo which immediately altered the chemistry of the table.  After two nights of "their performances", we had had enough of both them and the Assistant Maitre d'.  I confronted him after that dinner and expressed what the original 4 thought of him as well as "encouraging" us to keep these two women at our table.  The next evening, the two ladies "disappeared" and there was a noticeable change in the Assistant Maitre d's attitude.  

The dinner menu did not offer as many choices as I had been offered on HAL.  Food was good, but not great.  (Wine service and list was very good.)  Breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant was the best.  Many choices on the menu and all that I ordered were very good to excellent.  

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

This talk of Brittania  vs Grills class distinction on Cunard is mainly in the mind of people who have never been on Cunard.

Respectfully disagree.  Wandering around as a Britannia guest and finding "Grill Guests Only" signs reminds one of what class I had booked.  

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We have had a few strange looks when getting in lifts and putting in cruise card to access QG/PG deck from those that are not in there.

I have had that experience as a MSC Yacht Club guest.  (I heard one guest say when his deck was passed:  "Why the heck didn't we stop there?")  

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Respectfully disagree.  Wandering around as a Britannia guest and finding "Grill Guests Only" signs reminds one of what class I had booked.  

This is happening on the other lines that are creating dual class service, too. I’m quite frustrated that I will not be able to get an “over-the-bow” pic on Celebrity Apex for sail away or sunsets because I’m not cruising in the Retreat.

Other than that, having a section of the ship set aside for a certain grouping of guests means “out-of-sight, out-of-mind” to us. And, of course, Celebrity has two restaurants that only certain categories of staterooms can access, which we will be able to walk past and see “for Aqua Class” or “Suites” only.  

I used to a be a Disney addict prior to the pandemic, but their move to “Pay to play” for WDW has guaranteed we won’t be back for a long time. We can pay to play, we just prefer playing with real experiences and destinations if it’s going to cost that much.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

But Cunard are not the only cruise line like that now  and you try to get in first class on a plane. There has always been differences for those that are willing to pay a higher price for better service. Many have real hang ups about the supposedly "class system" on Cunard. I have cruised in QG and class myself as working class who worked all my life in public sector emergency service and was born on a council estate and lived there very happily until I got married.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

But Cunard are not the only cruise line like that now  and you try to get in first class on a plane. There has always been differences for those that are willing to pay a higher price for better service. Many have real hang ups about the supposedly "class system" on Cunard. I have cruised in QG and class myself as working class who worked all my life in public sector

Thanks for an excellent post.  As a public sector employee (a public school teacher), I think I understand your point of view and share it.  I was taught to live frugally and to save and invest wisely, which I have done.  Even living "frugally", remembering what travel experiences that I have had and which I shared (at my expense) with my Mother and Brother) is a marvel to me.  How in the heck did I do that, I wonder.  

A few years ago, I decided that First Class/Business Class flights were affordable for me.  Staying a few days at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort rather than a Fairfield Inn was a better choice.  A HAL Neptune Suite beats an top of the category veranda stateroom.  And, for me thus far, being a Yacht Club guest on MSC Meraviglia has been a cruise pinnacle.  I hope that I will experience being a Grills guest on one of the Queens.  

My comment about the "Grill Guests Only" signs was not meant to be a negative when it would be read by others.  My first experience of that was on QE2 many years before I encountered that on QM2.  I had several more cruises under my keel between those two cruises.  And, of course, such signs had not been encountered by me.