When can you really book excursions?

Clampram

We are considering a Hawaiian cruise on March 27th (Royal P)  but haven't booked it yet. I am seeing some postings that when folks purchased their cruise all of the excursions were already full. Our top priority would be the Arizone Memorial and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

At what time point can these be purchased before the cruise?? I am trying to avoid booking a cruise and then finding out that the excusions that we want are all booked up

Thanks

Edited by Clampram

19 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I don’t know specifically about Hawaii, but we have a European cruise for September 2023 and all excursions are available to book.

Similar - we have a cruise booked for next May and we booked an excursion when we booked the cruise last summer.

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

We are considering a Hawaiian cruise on March 27th (Royal P)  but haven't booked it yet. I am seeing some postings that when folks purchased their cruise all of the excursions were already full. Our top priority would be the Arizone Memorial and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

At what time point can these be purchased before the cruise?? I am trying to avoid booking a cruise and then finding out that the excusions that we want are all booked up

Thanks

I would go to the roll call for this cruise and ask someone to check these excursions for you.  We have a cruise to Hawaii in October and the Memorial has been fully booked for at least the last 6 months or more.  We are having to book it on our own. 

When we visited the Arizona we booked it ourselves. It was $1 per person for a guaranteed time slot. It was easy to book and was great to have a guaranteed time to visit. It was also free (okay, like I said, we paid $1 per person) whereas Princess wanted something like $69 per person. (Can't remember the price but it was something stupid like that to visit a place that is actually free on a normally first come first served basis.) We rented a car that day and not only visited the Arizona but all sorts of other places that Princess charges a bunch to visit.

Thanks

As soon as you book the cruise, book the 

excursions.  You could really do these on your own too. 
Sometimes they show sold out, but recheck, because they may get more buses and then open more slots.

Thanks

It is my understanding the the Royal will do an overnight in Honolulu.  Here is my suggestion.  Take it or leave it (from a local).

Rent a car and drive to the Polynesian Cultural Center on Day One.  You will not be restricted by time since you can return to the ship at any time.  

Pros...you can enjoy the nice drive out and stay as long/short as you want.  

Cons...where to park your car overnight.  I don't see a date so verify:  https://www.hawaiibusiness.com/the-downtown-honolulu-parking-guide/

BE CAREFUL on your drive back to the ship at night.  It is DARK and one lane in each direction.

Either return your car before one day rate is up or use it to drive yourself to the Arizona Memorial.  You can order tickets for free.  

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/facility/233338

Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to pick up the tickets.  You can use the one hour before showtime to browse the 2 small museums.  IF the launch is operational, you will get a ride out after the movie.  

Pros...stay as long as you like (usually 2-3 hours max)

A place to keep your personal belongings.  You are highly restricted to what you can take into the National Park.

Cons...."Opportunists"/aka thieves love to break into rental cars.  Cars are marked with a barcode. 

Alternative.  Take a bus.

You will make it back to the ship in plenty of time 

Do this soon.  You can always cancel the car reservations and will only be out a few dollars for the ticket fee.  And book your excursions with the ship.  I am all for Plans A, B, and C.