Question: report bad service?

4 hours ago, loman said:

Just tip your cabin attendant directly in cash and bartenders the same way . 

And any additional people you feel deserves a tip .

This auto grats thing is similar to giving kids participation medals.

Kids don't depend on tips for their livelihood.   I'm guessing you remove auto tips no matter the level of service.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

My philosophy is that if you don't tell someone that there's a problem, they won't know. I was always someone who didn't want to be labeled a complainer but started being more vocal about issues after a Celebrity cruise where we had a problem with our cabin door handle mechanism, not the card reader. It would work some times; other times it was very difficult to turn the handle. One day we were struggling with the handle when the cabin attendant came by and assisted us. He told us that we should have told him the first time it happened so he could have contacted maintenance right away. That's when we realized that although it wasn't a huge issue for us, it might be for someone else and once we leave the ship, it becomes a problem for the next occupants. Also, it really made me wonder how long it had been a problem! 

I couldn't agree more. On an NCL cruise, my cabin door acted up from the first minute. It wouldn't unlock and I had to go wait in the seemingly endless line at guest services to get a new key card. The representative came up with me and it worked for him. Later that night, the door became hard to close completely. I didn't complain. On the second full day, I came back to the cabin after breakfast and the door wouldn't close at all. The cabin steward messed with it and called maintenance. It eventually took two maintenance people and the steward to remove the door completely and reinstall it. Apparently it was not seated correctly. I wonder how long it had been acting up. At least subsequent guests wouldn't have the same problem.

• Like 1

We had two servers once who were so bad we thought we were being punked.  When the maitre d came by to ask us how the service was, we discussed the numerous issues (wine glasses with lip stick stains twice, wine delivered after the course, wrong dishes), we commented that the servers seemed new and nervous, but we wanted to stay with that table to see if we could help. The staff improvement over the week was remarkable. If we had just complained, and not been supportive, I'm not sure if the outcome would have been the same. 

• Like 1

Don't look at it as complaining, look at it as seeking a solution. Present the opportunity for improvement. Set goals and communicate priorities to the powers that be in the dining room. Evaluate and give feedback. If problems continue, it may be time to wave the white flag and retreat to the Windjammer with a bottle of wine. I find the dinner staff there to be quite helpful and attentive. It's nothing like breakfast and lunch.

• Like 1

I too am with the others in that the headwaiter/maitre'd needs to be aware of this situation.  On my last Explorer cruise I saw the headwaiters removing dishes, serving alongside the waiters etc.  I was happy to see that they cared about the guests and their experience.  

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, flamingos said:

Situation that is new to me - really bad service in the MDR. 

Our team, as far as I can tell, have four tables. My 6-top has only four of us; the 6-top next to us has one two. But the other two tables look to be 10 tops, full. They seem to all be first-time cruisers being led by a man who shuttled between the tables the first night explaining the menu, in Dutch (??). None speak English. They are ordering wine for the table, have special requests, call the waiter over to explain. These two waiters are simply overwhelmed and we are getting the crap end of it. Our tablemates said tonight they are done,, they will be eating elsewhere - his iced tea arrived after appetizers, entrées were lukewarm, our table was never properly served: no soup spoons brought for appetizers, no crumb scraper. 😔

So I’m pretty tolerant and don’t want to jeopardize any one’s job, but should this be reported to the head waiter or maitre’d? These people need help. Suggestions? 

Now that we’ve cruised a few times, I’ve been in both situations.  Sometimes we travel with lots of family and end up consuming a lot of the servers time.  I sympathize with you, but you need to get the head waiter and make sure your cruising experience is what you want. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 5:34 PM, cruise1957 said:

I can sympathize with the 2 year old drumming. We were on a cruise with our whole family, 12 of us, my grandson was about 5 or 6 at the time. There was a child of maybe 10 at the next table to us playing cymbals with the sugar container lids. I put up with it for one night, next night they are back again and he is doing the same thing as we arrived at the table, I took them right out of his hand and said we aren't doing that anymore, the didn't show up for dinner the rest of the cruise.

I know it wasn't the best action, but I'd just had it, the parents and grandparents weren't even attempting to do anything.  I want to enjoy my meal, not deal with clanging cymbals.

I’m glad you realize it wasn’t the best action.  It could have become a very ugly situation.   It also shows how tolerant the wait staff have to be and what they have to put up with day in day out.  Would like to know where they draw the line on behaviour. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yogimax said:

Kids don't depend on tips for their livelihood.   I'm guessing you remove auto tips no matter the level of service.

Nope , i always auto tip regardless of service . And i pay it in advance when i book. That makes me part of the problem for inadequate service .

When i was a kid if you didnt win , you got squat . ( good life lesson )

Same as when i got into sales , Top performers got handsomely rewarded,

underachievers ... well ... they got fired. I was of the former.

So i tip , regardless of service received. Others may be inclined not to.

15 hours ago, yogimax said:

42 minutes ago, loman said:

Nope , i always auto tip regardless of service . And i pay it in advance when i book. That makes me part of the problem for inadequate service .

When i was a kid if you didnt win , you got squat . ( good life lesson )

Same as when i got into sales , Top performers got handsomely rewarded,

underachievers ... well ... they got fired. I was of the former.

So i tip , regardless of service received. Others may be inclined not to.

The problem with not using the auto tip option, either pre-cruise payment of onboard option, is that we have no idea, for sure, where the tips go.  While there may be some servers that don't do a good job, if you remove auto tips and only hand tips to the people that do a good job, the service providers behind the scenes that really work hard, don't get squat.  I'm like @loman, I do the auto tipping and I hand a tip over to those I have contact with.  Many of the lower level crew members are from 3rd world nations and send much of what they make back home to their family.  I'd like to be part of assisting with a better life than find ways to do nothing.  Is my way of doing this the only answer?  No!  Do I get taken advantage of, at times?  Hell yes I do!  But, when I go home from a cruise, I believe I did some, maybe a very little, good for those that honestly deserve and appreciate it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I couldn't agree more. On an NCL cruise, my cabin door acted up from the first minute. It wouldn't unlock and I had to go wait in the seemingly endless line at guest services to get a new key card. The representative came up with me and it worked for him. Later that night, the door became hard to close completely. I didn't complain. On the second full day, I came back to the cabin after breakfast and the door wouldn't close at all. The cabin steward messed with it and called maintenance. It eventually took two maintenance people and the steward to remove the door completely and reinstall it. Apparently it was not seated correctly. I wonder how long it had been acting up. At least subsequent guests wouldn't have the same problem.

Years ago they would have blamed you for the problem, like blaming you because your cabin is hot, or blaming someone else because the toilets dont work for 3 days, but it seems they have more competent workers now.  Good to hear the problem was resolved and hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 3:41 PM, firefly333 said:

Have you talked to the waiter already? I'd ask to be moved, quietly perhaps if that doesnt work. 

I've had that and put up with too much, I let stuff go when it's my vacation too. I had a lady and her daughter order every item on the menu. Took forever. She was at my table.  ..and another time a 2 year old was allowed to drum on the table with silverware  .. I'm thru taking it. I'll be quicker to move.

One reason why we do not dine at a common table.  We request a two top or table for our companions only.  Haven't sat at a large common table in years. Not snobby, just been there done that, over it.

• Like 2

JMO, but if service isn't up to what you paid for I think something discreetly must be said. I'd start with the lowest level and work my way up if I didn't see immediate change.  Each person has their own way to deal with issues.  I think we'd all have to be put in this situation to see exactly how we'd respond.  But the bottom line again in my opinion is we each pay for these trips and except good service.  Some personalities will let some things slide, while others will speak right up.  As long as we are polite and explain what was wrong and what we'd like to see corrected it should be resolved one way or the other.  I've had waiters respond immediately and had dining room managers have to step in to correct he issue.  When someone else pays for my cruise they can solve any issue I may have in their own way, but until then I will.  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:11 PM, vadersprincess12 said:

How do you tell a server that they need to stop showering in their aftershave.  On our last cruise we couldn't go to the dining room after the second night; the smell was so overwhelming that it made me feel sick to the stomach!

I would probably ask to switch sections and when the head waiter asks why, say something like, "I'm very sensitive to strong scents and the waiter's aftershave is too much for me to handle."

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:04 AM, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I would probably ask to switch sections and when the head waiter asks why, say something like, "I'm very sensitive to strong scents and the waiter's aftershave is too much for me to handle."

I may get the courage to say that one day.  I hate feeling like I'm insulting someone but..........you're right, it's probably best to just say it politely and move on!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:57 AM, Ret MP said:

The problem with not using the auto tip option, either pre-cruise payment of onboard option, is that we have no idea, for sure, where the tips go.  While there may be some servers that don't do a good job, if you remove auto tips and only hand tips to the people that do a good job, the service providers behind the scenes that really work hard, don't get squat.  I'm like @loman, I do the auto tipping and I hand a tip over to those I have contact with.  Many of the lower level crew members are from 3rd world nations and send much of what they make back home to their family.  I'd like to be part of assisting with a better life than find ways to do nothing.  Is my way of doing this the only answer?  No!  Do I get taken advantage of, at times?  Hell yes I do!  But, when I go home from a cruise, I believe I did some, maybe a very little, good for those that honestly deserve and appreciate it!

"I'd like to be part of assisting with a better life than find ways to do nothing." This is where the tipping / auto gratuities thing always gets to deep for me. Too many people here talk about how hard working these people are. Many people in America are hard working as well. My Mother worked like a dog for peanuts and we had nothing. Paid for groceries with loose change at times. No paper money. So I don't see this subject the same. I tip as I would on land. No more. I'm not there to set the world to rights. Just have a good time and treat service works the same as I would at home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1