The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 30th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Grief Awareness Day, National Beach Day, and Touch A Heart Tuesday

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

Meal Suggestion for today - Blushing Penne Pasta
Drink of the Day - Hot Buttered Spiced Rum
Wine of the Day - Domaine Bourillon d'Orléans 2019 L'Indigène Sec
Destination of the Day - Bridgetown, Barbados

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway Alaska US 7:00 AM To 8:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Istanbul, Turkey, Galataport - 16:00

Rotterdam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08/31

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0830World.thumb.png.196859b438790c8898bdfc1ba16d6230.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

today it was difficult to select 3 days to celebrate so I offer more for your consideration -

International Day of the Disappeared,

International Whale Shark Day,

National Holistic Pet Day,

National Toasted Marshmallow Day,

Slinky Day

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  Many here are all too aware of grief.  I haven't been to a beach in several years and many here have touched a lot of hearts.  I  fear the Bradbury quote is all too true.  Been to Barbados several times  including at least 2 on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal sounds nice. 

Today’s care list:

Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Sandi’s neighbors David (RIP) and Linda in critical condition
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
Cruisin Terri worsening hand pain
Dfish poor experience with surgeon
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
5 days for cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/4 to 9/11)
Horizon Chaser 1957 back on the mainland
Marshhawk final days as dog walker
Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31), Kochleffel (Voyager OTS  to 9/3), Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS  to 9/5),  luvteaching (Crown Princess to 9/3), Eurodam to 9/10). Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 13

Good afternoon.

60°F and sunny on our North East England beaches.

Thank you for the excellent daily and fleet reports Rich.

For those of us who have suffered grief we know how heartbreaking it is.

Nice food today.

We have been fortunate to visit Bridgetown Barbados on cruises.

Sending prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them at this time.

Happy sailing for all who are enjoying the sea.

Take care and stay safe.

Screenshot_20220830_115023.jpg

IMG_20220713_120931.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Tomorrow night I will be looking at this view from my lanai in Waikiki....and every night until September 28th.....:)

Hope everyone stays well.....and I will try to post......!!

Sunset from the Ilikai.jpg

Absolutely fabulous view.

Very best wishes for a fantastic holiday in Hawaii.

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  Many here are all too aware of grief.  I haven't been to a beach in several years and many here have touched a lot of hearts.  I  fear the Bradbury quote is all too true.  Been to Barbados several times  including at least 2 on the Elegant Explorer.  The meal sounds nice. 

Today’s care list:

Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Sandi’s neighbors David (RIP) and Linda in critical condition
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
Cruisin Terri worsening hand pain
Dfish poor experience with surgeon
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
5 days for cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/4 to 9/11)
Horizon Chaser 1957 back on the mainland
Marshhawk final days as dog walker
Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31), Kochleffel (Voyager OTS  to 9/3), Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS  to 9/5),  luvteaching (Crown Princess to 9/3), Eurodam to 9/10). Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting our daily lists Roy.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We had rain overnight and a showers when Bertie and I had our first walk of the day.  Already 21C (69F) and supposed to get to 24C (75F) this afternoon but with the humidex it will feel hotter.  Showers off and on today, so I don't think I will be doing much outside, hope I have a good book.

Interesting days, some thoughtful, some fun.  We all have grief to deal with.   I hope I've touched a few hearts.  I pray for the disappeared.  

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good.  I might try the drink on a cool evening.  Hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to Barbados.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a good Tuesday.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!

Right now it is a pleasant morning but storms are moving in shortly.  At least it has cooled down a bit. It was so warm and muggy yesterday that I broke down and turned on the air.  Today I'll finish up the ceiling in the living room and hallway and then start on the walls and trim.  I want to get this painting project done before I head up to Michigan to look at houses.  

I am happy to announce that Tina @0106 will fulfill the Meal of the Day responsibilities while I am in Michigan.  I am staying with my sister who shuns technology and does not have internet.  She actually likes it and uses it when she is at other people's houses, but won't get it for herself.  

Today's meal was a tough one.  The recipes were all identical.  I kept searching and pulled up one recipe that had a picture of a nicely roasted turkey.  Hmm, not what I was looking for.  While the recipes were identical, the pictures weren't.   You can get a dark pink sauce or a light pink sauce depending on how much half and half you use.  One recipe called for heavy cream.  That is not one for those watching calories!

This first recipe is the one you'll find on most sites.  The only variation is the amount of half and half and whether you use white wine or chicken broth in the sauce.   I'd go for the wine myself.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/blushing-penne-pasta/

856035247_blushingpennepasta1.thumb.jpg.4001b55d5c3a5ded04084e3ffa8bf3ee.jpg

This next one is a totally different dish, but uses what the author calls sun blush tomatoes.  https://simons-sauces.com/2012/09/11/spinach-and-homemade-sun-blush-tomato-pasta/

905680689_blushingpennepasta3.jpg.ebc8de6f9e379a40abccfdd35e67007e.jpg

Ok, so what are sun blushed tomatoes?  They are really quite easy to make.  I love the measurements in this recipe.  A glug of good olive oil.  That's the way I cook.  https://thegreeneyedgirl.co.uk/2014/06/08/homemade-sunblushed-tomatoes/

1864284953_sunblushtomatoes.png.e80962dc80e824a0a409fe2f4b94b33b.png

This last recipe calls for heavy cream but you can substitute something lighter if you wish.  https://simplegraytshirt.com/pink-sauce-pasta/

811695889_blushingpennepasta4.jpg.47d6a2f6196a447281cfee8c9a56256d.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I love all the days.  Not sure how to celebrate grief, other than without love there is no grief.  So we can celebrate love, and we can celebrate coming through the grief.

Beach day?  I'm on it!

Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors.  Fahrenheit  451 should be mandatory reading for every young person with a reread when you get to your 50's.  

I told DH we have to get outside and walk this morning, we are both up, I'm fixing breakfast, and off we go.

Have a great day!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Lots of days to choose from - thanks 🙂. I’ll celebrate touch a heart Tuesday and National Grief Awareness has been celebrated here for a while.

True quote by Bradbury.

Not sure if it’s going to be rainy - sure looks it but the sun is supposed to poke it’s head out.  Time will tell & lots to do whether it’s in or out so I can go with the weather 😉 

6CD881AF-136D-474B-8743-B4E1992C49C8.jpeg.ce4d186d11beff493f8fba9618cce300.jpeg

Most of the invites are done - just a couple left to do and watch the weather 😉 So far, so good - but it’s too far in advance to trust the weatherman. It will all be good, hopefully 🤞 I guess someone knew there might be chicken wings on the appie list 😉 

A8A40F86-E99F-4BC0-AEFF-BF1CE087EB10.jpeg.e5628dc09f4111ef68e1f9bc19326a15.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Tomorrow night I will be looking at this view from my lanai in Waikiki....and every night until September 28th.....:)

What a lovely spot!  I hope you have a wonderful time in Waikiki and enjoy your much needed break.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!!!

585401D8-0437-4A94-A159-74E7879F4CB6.thumb.jpeg.56f9e9a6e267461fd01920173379507f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Lots of days to choose from - thanks 🙂. I’ll celebrate touch a heart Tuesday and National Grief Awareness has been celebrated here for a while.

True quote by Bradbury.

Not sure if it’s going to be rainy - sure looks it but the sun is supposed to poke it’s head out.  Time will tell & lots to do whether it’s in or out so I can go with the weather 😉 

6CD881AF-136D-474B-8743-B4E1992C49C8.jpeg.ce4d186d11beff493f8fba9618cce300.jpeg

Most of the invites are done - just a couple left to do and watch the weather 😉 So far, so good - but it’s too far in advance to trust the weatherman. It will all be good, hopefully 🤞 I guess someone knew there might be chicken wings on the appie list 😉 

A8A40F86-E99F-4BC0-AEFF-BF1CE087EB10.jpeg.e5628dc09f4111ef68e1f9bc19326a15.jpeg

What a lovely spot!  I hope you have a wonderful time in Waikiki and enjoy your much needed break.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!!!

585401D8-0437-4A94-A159-74E7879F4CB6.thumb.jpeg.56f9e9a6e267461fd01920173379507f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

Thank you @kazu.

I wanted to add a like or a Thanks but your joke meme's were great so I opted for the laugh.

Sincerest wishes.

Graham.

• Like 16

Good morning friends!  It's a little cloudy but warm at 73F.  Humidity was "only" 93% and the high today will be 90F with chance of scattered showers around 6 pm.  Yeah, right.  I had a restless night with little sleep and some leg pain.  Hoping that's a one off and I have a good sleep tonight.

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily.  The blushing penne pasta looks good Debbie @dfish.  The quote is so true.  Grief Awareness Day is honored by us all, and there are plenty of us on here that can identify with it.  Hope everyone able to will enjoy a beach day.  And I would be happy to touch someone's heart.  Terri @Cruzin TerriI'm sorry about your hand pain continuing.  Debbie @dfishsorry about your surgeon problems.  I hope you get everything straightened out.  Prayers said already today for you all, my neighbor Linda and the people of Ukraine.  Linda's daughter texted one of the neighbors here she knew and said the wrists were repaired Sunday.  She also said Linda is awake and would appreciate anyone on Facebook to contact Linda and encourage her.  I'm not on Facebook but plenty of folks here are and will bombard her with messages.  Also we learned Linda and David's dog is in a kennel here so is safe.  But I'm sure he is missing his parents.  Hopefully one of Linda's 3 children will get down here to retrieve him and see to matters at home.  Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor posting our Care and Celebration lists.  I celebrate with the happy folks every day at happy hour.

Our port today, Bridgetown, Barbados was last port of the day on July 7, 2021.  It was on Rich's posting activity page 45, and here is a link to it in case you want to retrieve your photos to post today.

We went to Bridgetown, Barbados in 2015 on Ruby Princess circumnavigating South America from Ft. Lauderdale.  I took a tour that day and enjoyed it as I recall.  My tour in Bridgetown took me many places for a good overall view of the area.  First we went to Gun Hill Signal Station, a military outpost built in 1818 that once served as a lookout for approaching ships.  enhance

enhance

The buildings have been restored by the National Trust.  You could see all the other signal stations from here.enhance

In the distance are the cruise ships in port.enhance

Next we stopped at Orchid World for a very informal look at the local orchids as well as other plants such as the poinsettia bush.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Last we visited Sunbury Plantation, a beautifully restored monument to plantation life of a bygone era.  We were told the walls were two feet deep helping to keep it cool inside.  enhance

enhance

enhance

Some of those thick wallsenhance

enhance

Outside we were given a demonstration on how to make rum punch and cod fish cakes.  We had plenty of samples and everyone had a good, old time!enhance

enhance

enhance

Cod fish cakesenhance

Heading back to the ship we passed all the sugar cane fields and a rum distillery.  Barbados rum is known worldwide.enhance

enhance

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

Hope everyone stays well.....and I will try to post......!!

Beautiful and I’m pretty sure I know just where this is. Mahalo for posting and Aloha!

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a little cloudy but warm at 73F.  Humidity was "only" 93% and the high today will be 90F with chance of scattered showers around 6 pm.  Yeah, right.  I had a restless night with little sleep and some leg pain.  Hoping that's a one off and I have a good sleep tonight.

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily.  The blushing penne pasta looks good Debbie @dfish.  The quote is so true.  Grief Awareness Day is honored by us all, and there are plenty of us on here that can identify with it.  Hope everyone able to will enjoy a beach day.  And I would be happy to touch someone's heart.  Terri @Cruzin TerriI'm sorry about your hand pain continuing.  Debbie @dfishsorry about your surgeon problems.  I hope you get everything straightened out.  Prayers said already today for you all, my neighbor Linda and the people of Ukraine.  Linda's daughter texted one of the neighbors here she knew and said the wrists were repaired Sunday.  She also said Linda is awake and would appreciate anyone on Facebook to contact Linda and encourage her.  I'm not on Facebook but plenty of folks here are and will bombard her with messages.  Also we learned Linda and David's dog is in a kennel here so is safe.  But I'm sure he is missing his parents.  Hopefully one of Linda's 3 children will get down here to retrieve him and see to matters at home.  Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor posting our Care and Celebration lists.  I celebrate with the happy folks every day at happy hour.

Our port today, Bridgetown, Barbados was last port of the day on July 7, 2021.  It was on Rich's posting activity page 45, and here is a link to it in case you want to retrieve your photos to post today.

We went to Bridgetown, Barbados in 2015 on Ruby Princess circumnavigating South America from Ft. Lauderdale.  I took a tour that day and enjoyed it as I recall.  My tour in Bridgetown took me many places for a good overall view of the area.  First we went to Gun Hill Signal Station, a military outpost built in 1818 that once served as a lookout for approaching ships.  enhance

enhance

The buildings have been restored by the National Trust.  You could see all the other signal stations from here.enhance

In the distance are the cruise ships in port.enhance

Next we stopped at Orchid World for a very informal look at the local orchids as well as other plants such as the poinsettia bush.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Last we visited Sunbury Plantation, a beautifully restored monument to plantation life of a bygone era.  We were told the walls were two feet deep helping to keep it cool inside.  enhance

enhance

enhance

Some of those thick wallsenhance

enhance

Outside we were given a demonstration on how to make rum punch and cod fish cakes.  We had plenty of samples and everyone had a good, old time!enhance

enhance

enhance

Cod fish cakesenhance

Heading back to the ship we passed all the sugar cane fields and a rum distillery.  Barbados rum is known worldwide.enhance

enhance

Lovely photos Sandi.

Often we only seem to see inside all the local shops.😟🤫

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

Hot Buttered Spiced Rum cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® 9 Spiced Rum
2 heaping spoons Batter
Hot Water

Instructions
Fill coffee mug 3/4 full with hot water. Stir in batter until dissolved. Add rum and serve with a stir stick.
Batter Mix: 1 lbs. brown sugar, 1/2 lbs. salted butter (softened), 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, pinch of ground clove, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. In a mixing bowl blend all ingredients together with a hand mixer. Store at room temperature. For a buttered pumpkin batter, simply add pumpkin pie puree to taste (about 1 small can) to batter mix and blend thoroughly.

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 8.08.48 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good morning! We are starting to adjust to Central Time but I have to admit we struggled at times yesterday. We did get a lot accomplished yesterday but started hearing this light beeping noise. Turned out our dishwasher went kaput while we were gone. Tried a few things with no success so called our appliance shop and the earliest they can come out is Friday. Last night I washed the dishes by hand and couldn’t remember the last time I had done so?

We are looking forward to our one night house guest who is a dear friend, an Air Force retired Colonel and retired American Airline Captain. Currently he and his wife divide their time between Sao Palo, Brazil, Miami and his ranch in Texas. So there will be lot’s to catch up on.

When I read these post it’s so evident that many of our posters put a lot of thought, time and love in making the Daily a wonderful social and supportive forum. For that I say thank you.

Enjoy the day.

Bruce

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Sky this morning was red and cloudy.  

I worked at the American embassy in Barbados for two years 1998-2000 and have been back on cruises and once just to stay at a beach resort.  Though I still love Barbados, it has got very crowded with high rises along the beach.  

best wishes to all.

828A5563-8A76-4E1C-A5EE-F9E603D350F0.jpeg

• Like 30

I haven't posted on this thread for quite some time, although I do read the posts most days.  I am thinking of Kazu today and other friends who are grieving the loss of their loved ones.  Pasta was already on the menu for dinner today and after looking at the recipes I have decided to make the first one and change it a bit by adding a few veggies and shrimp.  We have been many time to todays port, love, love Barbados!  Thinking about those on the care list and sending a shout out to those celebrating.

58AE1FEF-E82F-479E-8663-9248C309E88C.jpeg

85752185-3942-4920-88F6-3671F8D68BDC.jpeg

62015866-C131-42CE-8DF8-01EF23869975.jpeg

F2C46422-5C7E-48DB-83BE-82EC5FB66C53.jpeg

0A112FDE-F9B5-4F3A-A292-378C75C1BA7D.jpeg

82443209-CD3F-42BF-A631-C825AEEC0095.jpeg

F3D2C699-989F-4CF0-A11B-25C0DFE8F6F2.jpeg

EEB294F7-D337-4E7D-8AA6-A15A67472491.jpeg

DC9329F5-7BEE-4F9F-BDFE-DE232E6E5F84.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8