Recommended 'Rest on the Ship' Days for 15-Day Mediterranean Cruise

ajtraveler66

We are really looking forward to a 15-Day Mediterranean cruise on the NCL Star in April of 2023.

Make no doubt about it, we plan to do it up right while in Venice, Naples, Rome, and Florence.  We'll probably also want to spend a lot of onshore time while in Barcelona, Spain; Cannes, France; and Split, Croatia.

The following ports remain:  Zadar, Croatia; Sarande, Albania; Catania (Sicily), Italy; Ibiza, Spain; Motril, Spain; Cadiz (Seville), Spain; and Portimao, Portugal.

Our group of four senior citizens will probably need about 2-3 rest days--days in which we spend most of the time 'taking it easy' on the ship.  Some of you know the places in the above paragraph better than I do.  Which ones should we consider as 'stay-on-the-ship' days .... and which ones should we be sure to get out and see things, if only for a half day or so.

When it comes to travel, we like scenery, art, architecture, lay-back restaurants.  We're not too keen on the shopping.  So we are open to your suggestions on Zadar, Sarande, Catania, Ibiza, Motril, Cadiz, and Portimao.  {And I realize that some decisions will be made based on the 'weather of the day'}.

Our group of four senior citizens will be on a 15-Day Mediterranean Cruise on the NCL Star in April of 2023.

We are trying to decide how to divide our time.  We've already made big decisions for several of our ports of call.  But there are a few ports that we are not all that familiar with. 

Since we know that we would like to devote perhaps 2 or 3 different days to mostly 'rest time on the ship' (reading, lounging, etc.) we are trying to decide which days those should be.

We enjoy the usual stuff:  scenery, arts, architecture, good food.  So we are willing to venture out a little bit at each port, if it's something we definitely should do.

Here are the ports of call that are 'in the running' for 'spending the day on the ship':  Zadar, Croatia (we plan to go to Split); Saranda, Albania; Catania (Sicily), Italy; Ibiza, Spain; Motril, Spain; Cadiz, Spain; Portimao, Portugal.

If you've been to any of these places, let us know which ones you think are good candidates for "staying-on-the-ship" days?  And why?  {And we realize that weather may be a factor in determining what those days will be}.  Also if there are any that you think we must NOT avoid, let us know...and why? 

Thank you all so much.

As a well-traveled senior who enjoys spending some port days on the ship I cannot argue against R&R days :).  But, we also like several of the ports and the counter argument is that having spent a lot of money to get the opportunity to visit these places, staying onboard seems like a waste.

Cadiz is actually a nice port because it is relatively easy to walk from the ship into the main part of the downtown area.   If the weather is favorable you might consider going ashore in the morning, walkiing around the town, perhaps stopping for some coffee, and then spending the afternoon on the ship.  Another option is to go to Jerez for the day (we have done this on the train but there are also tours) which also has its charms (not to mention some famous Sherry houses).

Portimao is another port that DW and I have enjoyed on several visits.  The town is quite walkable, and I can never resist going to one of the water-side restaurants to have sardines (fresh grilled sardines can be addicting).   You can also take a small boat tour (you can arrange this yourself once ashore) along the nearby coast line where you might see some interesting birds nesting in the cliffs.  If you happen to be in Portimao on a warm day there are also some decent beaches in the region.   Like Cadiz, one can go ashore here, enjoy strolling along the seaside (they have a very nice walkway) and perhaps head back to the ship for a lazy afternoon.

And yes, do go to Split!

Hank

• Like 1

I would argue in favor of Sarande, Albania being a "stay on the ship" day. The port is (if I remember correctly) a tender port, which always leads to some lines. The area around the port is extremely unpromising -- lots of cheap new hotels constructed right up against each other with no real design aesthetic and no green space, of course there are also older, nondescript soviet-era buildings. The harbor is not pretty.

The only thing worthwhile that I've discovered in two visits involves a longish ride (~45 minutes to an hour) to some late Roman ruins known as Butrint. While they are very photogenic and interesting (set on the shore of a lake), I'm not sure it's for everyone who doesn't share my love of all things Roman.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, Hank.  From my research, Cadiz and Portimao were looking like 'winners'.  I, too, love sardines, and I had already read that grilled ones are exceptional.

I think we'll definitely have to venture out while in Cadiz and Portimao.

Now I look forward to hearing about Zadar, Sarande, Ibiza, and Motril. (Disappointed that Kotor, and Corfu were not included in the itinerary....but there is no perfect itinerary as we cruisers well know.)  That entry into Kotor looks absolutely incredible!

I was waiting for somebody to jump in on Ibiza.  In my other post I decided to only say positive things about ports we like.  Ibiza is quite an interesting place very popular with a younger crowd (at least younger than seniors) and has lots of nightlife to keep everyone from the backpackers to the jetsetters happy.  DW and I have only been to Ibiza one time, and for some reason were not charmed.  Perhaps it is one of those places that does not come to life until well after the cruise ships have departed.

I also wanted to lend my support to Cruisemom's assessment of Albania.  Neither of their most common ports of call, Durres or Sarande are calling my name,   Albania has a long way to go to turn their country into a desirable tourist destination.   If we were on the same cruise as AJ we would likely see them at the pool bar :).

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Our group of four senior citizens will be on a 15-Day Mediterranean Cruise on the NCL Star in April of 2023.

We are trying to decide how to divide our time.  We've already made big decisions for several of our ports of call.  But there are a few ports that we are not all that familiar with. 

Since we know that we would like to devote perhaps 2 or 3 different days to mostly 'rest time on the ship' (reading, lounging, etc.) we are trying to decide which days those should be.

We enjoy the usual stuff:  scenery, arts, architecture, good food.  So we are willing to venture out a little bit at each port, if it's something we definitely should do.

Here are the ports of call that are 'in the running' for 'spending the day on the ship':  Zadar, Croatia (we plan to go to Split); Saranda, Albania; Catania (Sicily), Italy; Ibiza, Spain; Motril, Spain; Cadiz, Spain; Portimao, Portugal.

If you've been to any of these places, let us know which ones you think are good candidates for "staying-on-the-ship" days?  And why?  {And we realize that weather may be a factor in determining what those days will be}.  Also if there are any that you think we must NOT avoid, let us know...and why? 

Thank you all so much.

I was in Portimao a few years ago and just used it as a day to go to the beach; there didn't seem to be too much happening in town that was calling us.  So this may be a good day to stay onboard if you're not into the beach. (My ship ran a free shuttle, about 10 minutes ride, so I am not sure how one would otherwise get to the beach.)

Zadar is absolutely beautiful and the ship will dock right in town, adjacent to the sea organ.  You could easily visit the old town, or just the sea organ.  You could spend as much or as little time there as you like and then be back onboard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_organ

Photo taken from my balcony overlooking the sea organ.

IMG_3527.jpeg

• Like 1

As Green posted, we truly loved Cadiz(Seville)!! We spent the time there just walking around the historic city, enjoying people watching and the peaceful atmosphere. We found a little square and a sidewalk restaurant and enjoyed some great eats and more people watching. 👍

46 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

Ibiza, Spain, unless you like to hang out at loud and crowded beaches. Don’t skip Seville.

When you say don't skip Seville....do you mean Seville the city or Cadiz within the Seville area.

The city of Seville looks awesome, but I've seen comments that you don't get much time there because of the time needed for travel back and forth.  

I'm hearing great things about CADIZ ... that city itself.

I guess it's really a no-brainer.  When you port at Cadiz (Seville) ... just be sure TO GET OFF THE BOAT!  LOL!  🙂

Other than Sarande, all other ports have someting or a lot to offer. As Hank says, it is a shame to go that far that staying on board seems like a waste.  Do get off the ship in the morning and see what the port has to offer. Then get back to the ship before or after lunch and relax the rest of the day. 

But from Motril go to Granada.  From Catania, go to Taormina, Castelmola or Mt Etna. From Cadiz, a lot of options.

Do go to the library and check out Insight Guides or Green Michelin Guides and read up on these areas. There is so much to see and enjoy in many of these ports that staying on board is really a waste.

It's only a few days on the cruise.  Relax when you get home. 

Edited by marazul

Don’t stay in Catania but take a tour to Taormina. Wonderful charming town with excellent Roman ruins, beautiful views of Mt Etna, gardens, art galleries, cafes yummy pastry. Or do the tour “Following in the path of The Godfather”. All the tiny towns where the film was shot. Sicily is wonderful  

• Like 1

Of those ports I’ve been to Sicily & Zadar. Both interesting. One of my kids is going to party in Ibiza next week. That alone would make me stay on the ship.

Sailing into Kotor is one of my cruise highlights. Do it another time if you can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wineoclock said:

Of those ports I’ve been to Sicily & Zadar. Both interesting. One of my kids is going to party in Ibiza next week. That alone would make me stay on the ship.

Sailing into Kotor is one of my cruise highlights. Do it another time if you can. 

Thanks for the tip on Ibiza.  Yesterday I read some articles that police were dealing with NOISE issues even during the day.  I'm sure your son is a good kid, but I was a good kid once myself, and I loved all that loud stuff. 😊.  I think we'll stay in for at leasst MOST of that day. 😊

5 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Thanks for the tip on Ibiza.  Yesterday I read some articles that police were dealing with NOISE issues even during the day.  I'm sure your son is a good kid, but I was a good kid once myself, and I loved all that loud stuff. 😊.  I think we'll stay in for at leasst MOST of that day. 😊

That really made me laugh so thank you!

We absolutely love Zadar.  Not sure what your port times are but sunset is glorious. 

Alfred Hitchcock once said : ” Zadar has the most beautiful sunset in the world, more beautiful than the one in Key West in Florida, applauded at every evening. ”

We really enjoyed the Archeology Museum and the Roman ruins outside.  A very easy town to walk about. 

Lunch recommendation would be Konoba Dalmacija - Tavern.  We love calamari and octopus.  Everything is melt-in-your-mouth.   If there is a side of mangold (chard and potatoes with garlic), definitely have some.  We ate at a number of lovely smaller restaurants when we stayed there a couple of years ago.  Look at the menus and pick one.

Enjoy your trip.

25 (2).jpg

24 (3).jpg

• Like 2

Motril is, IMHO, totally boring. There isxreally nothing but beach, thus a very good candidate for staying on board.

Contrary to others, I think Sarande is an interesting place and there are also great excursions possible. At least you should get off to be able to say you have been to Albania out of all places 😉

Ibiza town itself (you need a bus or ferry, or a long walk, from the pier) is a combination of histoy and contemporary resort but required a lot of walking if this is an issue.

Motril is the port stop for the Alhambra Palace in Granada and your ship will most likely offer shorex.  The Alhambra would be a "must do" for many, so before deciding to stay onboard, do read about it on the interne if you never heard of it before now..

Portimao.  Already answered your previous thread about options and still strongly recommned the short transfer to ALVOR.  By taxi, 15/20 minutes easy ride.  Small, colourful, picturesque traditional fishing port with fish restaurants by the dozen and a lovely boardwak stroll through the nature reserve alongside the estuary.   Much online and photos online.

I admit I am kind of prejudiced since my husband and I once spent an entire week in Albania and loved it.  Sarande isn't the prettiest of beach towns, I agree.  However, nearby Butrinte, the site of Roman ruins, we found fascinating. If you compare it to other Roman ruins outside of Italy like Jerash in Jordan or Ephesus in Turkey, it doesn't have that "wow" factor.  But Albanian site has lots of shade, consists of Byzantine built over Roman, built upon Greek ruins, and best of all (at least when we went) none of the crowds that the other Roman sites have.

9 hours ago, lynncarol said:

I admit I am kind of prejudiced since my husband and I once spent an entire week in Albania and loved it.  Sarande isn't the prettiest of beach towns, I agree.  However, nearby Butrinte, the site of Roman ruins, we found fascinating. If you compare it to other Roman ruins outside of Italy like Jerash in Jordan or Ephesus in Turkey, it doesn't have that "wow" factor.  But Albanian site has lots of shade, consists of Byzantine built over Roman, built upon Greek ruins, and best of all (at least when we went) none of the crowds that the other Roman sites have.

Oh I agree -- I loved Butrint, went back a second time and had a private tour with one of the archaeologists that excavated the site.  I just think that many people don't have the same, shall we say, interest in ancient ruins and may prioritize others that are more famous over these which really were somewhat of a backwater of the empire even then.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:37 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Oh I agree -- I loved Butrint, went back a second time and had a private tour with one of the archaeologists that excavated the site.  I just think that many people don't have the same, shall we say, interest in ancient ruins and may prioritize others that are more famous over these which really were somewhat of a backwater of the empire even then.

Thanks for your support of the site.  Obviously you share our love for all things historical. I do feel Albania gets a "bum rap" sometimes.  When we were at the Rome airport ready to depart for Tirana, a fellow passenger asked if we had relatives or business interests in Albania.  When I said we were just going as tourists, she replied, "Why on earth would you do that?" We had a local guide for a week and really enjoyed our visit.  On a number of occasions local teenagers/young adults asked if we would be in their group photo and could they practice their English with us.  Albanians seem to really like Americans.

8 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Thanks for your support of the site.  Obviously you share our love for all things historical. I do feel Albania gets a "bum rap" sometimes.  When we were at the Rome airport ready to depart for Tirana, a fellow passenger asked if we had relatives or business interests in Albania.  When I said we were just going as tourists, she replied, "Why on earth would you do that?" We had a local guide for a week and really enjoyed our visit.  On a number of occasions local teenagers/young adults asked if we would be in their group photo and could they practice their English with us.  Albanians seem to really like Americans.

When I visited Zagreb in 1967 –  because it is halfway between Budapest and Venice so worked for the train schedules at the time – my official Yugoslavian tourist guide asked me "Why the h*** did you come to Zagreb?"  I don't think he thought I was a spy; he was just a local who didn't appreciate what his home town had to offer [which in retrospect wasn't much – but maybe that was his problem in not explaining it well...]

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 1:51 PM, lynncarol said:

I agree Lynncarol.  We had a stop in Corfu on a cruise but had been there before, so we did an excursion to Albania on a hydrofoil.  The main attraction was the ruins at Butrinte but after we enjoyed walking around Sarande and having a wonderful lunch on a patio overlooking the busy beach.  And we got to add another country to our list - one that not many have experienced!

On 8/31/2022 at 11:01 AM, ajtraveler66 said:

The party area of Ibiza, (whilst long established), is actually in a tourist resort that is well away from the port and is called San Antonio, so I really need to correct that information.  It is also a night venue with late night (early morning) clubs, so when we called into there about lunch time one day, when we were there on hoiiday, the place was very quiet indeed.  There are some other very nice tourist areas in Ibiza though, well suited to familes and couples.  However, regards your port visit, the place to go is to the old town of Ibiza town, which you will see from across the harbour.  It is one of those old towns which is up quite a big hill though, so not necessarily that easy to just walk around and I have no idea how you would get there from the ship's docking location as I have not cruises to there myself, but suspect there will be a shuttle bus.  Hence if walking uphill would be difficult for you, it may still be a stay onboard day.

We have been to Motril on a cruise ship.  It would be the nearest port to Granada and the Alhambra  but I think you need booked into the latter, so would need to be with an excursion and it is not that near either, so depends how interested you would be and if you wanted to do the excursion - you should find plenty of pics if you search for it. 

We just went into Motril and enjoyed our day as it is not a tourist location, so more of an authentic Spanish town with a local flavour without those ubiqitous tourist crowds.  It does not even have a scenic old town though,  and I think that too was a shuttle bus ride from the port (not certain on that), so that may well be a good rest day for you.