Disembarkation Fusina Venice

Googiewithers

Hello. We are arriving beginning of November with Silver Spirit into Venice. Does anyone have any information on the port of Fusina. Is it easy to get a taxi or some sort of transport into venice. We are booking a hotel close to st marks square we think but if anyone has good recommendations I’d love to see them. Thanking you in advance for your time. 

Fusina is in the Marghera area, I think where the fast ferries dock.  If you Google it, there is a ferry from it to Venice proper.    A taxi would be ruinous, and only get you as close as Piazzale Roma, you would need other transport, probably a water taxi from there.  You might also be able to get a water taxi from Fusina, expensive, but if you are on Silversea, budget is probably not an issue.  With a water taxi, you would not have to wrestle your luggage, as you would with the ferry.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

2 hours ago, Googiewithers said:

Hello. We are arriving beginning of November with Silver Spirit into Venice. Does anyone have any information on the port of Fusina. Is it easy to get a taxi or some sort of transport into venice. We are booking a hotel close to st marks square we think but if anyone has good recommendations I’d love to see them. Thanking you in advance for your time. 

I would enquire with Silver Seas to see if they are offering transportation as far as Piazzale Roma. From there you could take a water taxi (private, expensive) or a vaporetto (like a water bus) to your hotel. Some hotels are easier to get to than others. You might want to have a look at this website which gives a lot of info on how to navigate around Venice, which hotels have easiest access with luggage, etc.

Venice for Visitors | An in-depth travel guide to Venice, Italy (europeforvisitors.com)

We seldom stay in the St Marks Square area for various reasons, but there are some excellent hotels in that neighborhood befitting a SS cruiser.  Our old favorite is the Baglioni Hotel Luna which was actually the hotel we used on our first visit to Venice over thirty years ago.  It is a 5* property with prices to match.  If price is not a factor, and you want the best, then the Gritti Palace gets you both (ridiculous prices and the best) along with a fantastic location.   These two hotels are definitely for folks who are not on a budget :).

These days we like to stay in much less luxurious accommodations in the Piazale Roma (such as Ca Doge) but this is like a lousy Days Inn when compared to the places I cited above.  I will admit to wanting to try the Gritti Palace, but we would need to mortgage our first-born to pay their rates.  Is any hotel worth over $2000 a night (canal view)?  Guess we will never find out.

Hank

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Googiewithers said:

Howdy @Googiewithers and welcome to the Cruise Critic message boards!

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific port and is off topic there.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the Italy Ports forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there frequent this forum and can provide feedback. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

Cruise Critic is a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting on the boards!  Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community Categories list. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in a forum. You will find very important instructions or information there. 

Also want to let you know the specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before your cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. To explain our Roll Call threads, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agree to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. Welcome again, and we are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will admit to wanting to try the Gritti Palace, but we would need to mortgage our first-born to pay their rates.  Is any hotel worth over $2000 a night (canal view)? 

I have no answer for this, but if I win the lottery I want to stay at Hotel Danieli in a canal-facing room.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have no answer for this, but if I win the lottery I want to stay at Hotel Danieli in a canal-facing room.

As a first step, I would recommend lunch at Danieli's roof top restaurant: Quite the view and great service.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would enquire with Silver Seas to see if they are offering transportation as far as Piazzale Roma. 

... or even mire service. 

At least pre-covid Cunard offered a service to take your luggage directly to a number of hotels, mainly in the St Marks square area.

Talking about the mortgage required rates, the Bauer Palazzo is gorgeous and it has one of the most beautiful terraces on the Grand Canal.  The terrace is open to the public and it is a magical place for a Bellini or Aperol spritz in the evening.  The drinks only require a small loan from the bank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, marazul said:

Talking about the mortgage required rates, the Bauer Palazzo is gorgeous and it has one of the most beautiful terraces on the Grand Canal.  The terrace is open to the public and it is a magical place for a Bellini or Aperol spritz in the evening.  The drinks only require a small loan from the bank.

Love this idea and have done the same thing at the Grande Bretagne in Athens -- gorgeous views at sunset, perfect cocktail time. 

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 4:55 AM, Googiewithers said:

Fusina is not set up for passengers.  Silversea will have transportation to the Venice Cruise terminal and from there you can decide on the usual options for getting where you need to be.  I sailed with Silversea in June so did this in the reverse: SS processed passengers at the cruise terminal and then used buses to get us to Fusina.