For those WILLING to pay a premium for Starlink fast internet, how much would you pay?

NutsAboutGolf

$20 per day at the very maximum. Also, I’d want the ability to purchase single days only and not be locked into paying for every single day of the cruise. This would be nice if you had to work maybe just 3 or 4 days out of a 7 night cruise and just wanted internet on those days. 

23 minutes ago, jules181 said:

If it's reliable to conduct business on, I'd pay $50-$100/day. 

I would absolutely love to take a few sea days to work and save those vacation days for more cruising. 

But is there enough room at the martini bar for a full size laptop? 🤪

ok.  I have not posted in 4 months but this was worthy of a response.  The OP asked a specific question about what you would pay for starlink.  It didn't pertain to the anti internet crowd as the OP specified.  So why do people have this endless need to respond (using the internet mind you) saying that they turn off. blah blah blah.  No one cares about what you do.  The question was what IF YOU BUY INTERNET are you willing to pay?  Since you dont, go focus on chair hogs or drink package posts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

ok.  I have not posted in 4 months but this was worthy of a response.  The OP asked a specific question about what you would pay for starlink.  It didn't pertain to the anti internet crowd as the OP specified.  So why do people have this endless need to respond (using the internet mind you) saying that they turn off. blah blah blah.  No one cares about what you do.  The question was what IF YOU BUY INTERNET are you willing to pay?  Since you dont, go focus on chair hogs or drink package posts.  

Hmmm, didn't notice you answering the OP's question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Did anybody show the results of a actual speed test on one of these RCG beta test ships? Just curious, because all I’ve heard up to now is talk. Just saying …

I haven't seen any, but I'll bet we see some from Beyond passengers soon.

I usually get sensible and less 'exuberant' results from https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

The thing to remember is that the current constellation is nowhere near built out yet, so there may still be occasional coverage issues. 

Here's an instantaneous map from where I sit now.  Those 'trains' are batches of up to 60 that have been launched but not yet set into their final orbital positions.  Fun stuff.  Note some weaker spots in U.S. coverage. 

Starlink.thumb.jpg.9b264e37c157b7a60575d74d5cdbbc55.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

I haven't seen any, but I'll bet we see some from Beyond passengers soon.

I usually get sensible and less 'exuberant' results from https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

The thing to remember is that the current constellation is nowhere near built out yet, so there may still be occasional coverage issues. 

Here's an instantaneous map from where I sit now.  Those 'trains' are batches of up to 60 that have been launched but not yet set into their final orbital positions.  Fun stuff.  Note some weaker spots in U.S. coverage. 

Starlink.thumb.jpg.9b264e37c157b7a60575d74d5cdbbc55.jpg

I'm not too worried. Our next Celebrity cruise will be on the Eclipse for 30 days in April in the Pacific. If this is implemented fleetwide by the first quarter of 2023, it should be on the Eclipse by the time we sail. But I have to say up until this point, we've been quite happy with the Premium package regarding service on the 5 ships we've cruised on since it started back up. But then we don't stream Netflix shows either. 

Just for fun, since this is what I do:

Here's a track of Kosmos 2433 (a Russian GPS satellite) using an F1.7 prime focus telescope with a 26" mirror and 4.4° field of view.  The images would be a lot better, but unfortunately, I had to perform this particular test in a well lit industrial parking lot in a decent sized city with some overcast... far from ideal 'seeing' conditions.

It's a slow mover in a high orbit.  I put a couple of red circles around it in the first two frames to get your attention focused on it.  During this, you'll also see another object streak through at high velocity from mid-left to lower right on the screen.

Definitely best done by hitting the 'full screen' icon in the lower right corner.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1