Live Reports - Cruising on Coral Princess September 2022.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess have devalued the drinks packages yet again. As of this cruise freshly squeezed orange juice is no longer included in either package. Apparently it's a corporate decision. A glass of freshly squeezed orange juice costs $7.50 now.

I'm very annoyed as freshly squeezed orange juice is the only juice I can drink. 

What will be next to be cut from the packages? 

No bottled wine, chateau cardboard only for the packages.

th.jpg.8d3d7d7a48cc2aeed3de5cd8a7c512d3.jpg

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

No bottled wine, chateau cardboard only for the packages.

th.jpg.8d3d7d7a48cc2aeed3de5cd8a7c512d3.jpg

I wouldn't mind so much if they did have the Pinot Grigio onboard but they only have Sauv/Semillon and over-oaked chardonnay. If I want a Pinot Grigio, which is one of my favourite white wines, I have buy a bottle. 😪

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wouldn't mind so much if they did have the Pinot Grigio onboard but they only have Sauv/Semillon and over-oaked chardonnay. If I want a Pinot Grigio, which is one of my favourite white wines, I have buy a bottle. 😪

When they bring a glass of wine from 'out the back' it could be anything, perhaps chateau cardboard, lol. But the De Bortoli 4 litre casks are every day drinking for me, 2 for $30 on speshul at Dans. The Sem/Sauv/Blanc is good as is the Pinot Grigio and the Cabernet Merlot. Lubbly Jubbly.

download.jpg.9f43905cd20005729c5f24a46fa79627.jpg

Edited by NSWP

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess have devalued the drinks packages yet again. As of this cruise freshly squeezed orange juice is no longer included in either package. Apparently it's a corporate decision. A glass of freshly squeezed orange juice costs $7.50 now.

I'm very annoyed as freshly squeezed orange juice is the only juice I can drink. 

I think you should take it higher!    I would be more than annoyed. 

I'd be angry especially if I was on a long cruise, as I love fresh orange juice. $7.50 is not reasonable ? -  I just bought 3 kilos of my favourite SA oranges for less than that.  A total rip off!

I'm currently researching overseas cruises.  When ships come to Aus segments I noticed the cost is higher!  (Some have no single supplement BTW)

Have a look at Fred Olsen Cruise lines menu (Braemar was one I was looking it). (Basic high tea of tea and scones is included, but luxury high tea is 12 pounds from memory)  That is the only thing I would pay extra for on a cruise as I pay much more than that for high tea celebration in London.  

I think Princess needs competition.  Otherwise they will keep devaluing their cruises.  

23 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They've got a real cheek cutting items out of a package that you bought on the basis that those items were included.

Seems they're a bit out of control with their drinks packages. A few youtube vloggers have been reporting that drinks waiters were refusing to take orders for drinks in the main bars as they were so busy and understaffed they couldn't keep up with all the people who had packages. Couldn't get a drink for love nor money appaerently (and the app wasn't working so they couldn't order drinks that way).

Watch this one from about the 9  minute mark - they talk about the queues for drinks etc.

Edited by LittleFish1976

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

They've got a real cheek cutting items out of a package that you bought on the basis that those items were included.

Seems they're a bit out of control with their drinks packages. A few youtube vloggers have been reporting that drinks waiters were refusing to take orders for drinks in the main bars as they were so busy and understaffed they couldn't keep up with all the people who had packages. Couldn't get a drink for love nor money appaerently (and the app wasn't working so they couldn't order drinks that way).

Watch this one from about the 9  minute mark - they talk about the queues for drinks etc.

Ahh, yes, a 4 night cruise (their cruise) with a majority of passengers with an inclusive drinks package. Absolutely bar service could be stretched, as we have experienced on other lines in the past when they have drink packages inclusive in their fares.

The app worked fine on Coral a couple of months ago, and the package suits us to the ground. The only delays in getting a drink were on the sun deck approaching sailaway time; or peak times for a coffee. The app works fine for some, and not for others. There is a HUGE tip on one of the medallion threads about the best way connect to it.

I won't have a fancy video, but we will do our own review of the premier package when we board Coral again in 10 days.

I agree the juice charge is ridiculous, as you can keep throwing down $16 cocktails all day. With perspective, it still beats the absolute [enter your choice of expletive] out of all of their competitors' drink packages ATM.

• Like 1

One advantage of Coral is that there are plenty of bars, and enough waiters in each bar to service each area. Good Spirits was chocka last night before dinner so we just went to the Wheelhouse Bar. Sure, it can take a few minutes for a waiter to notice you and sometimes it takes a bit longer than usual to get your drink but it's no big deal on this ship.

However I recall the last cruise we did before Covid, on a full to capacity Ruby Princess, and getting a drink on that ship could take half an hour in Crooners., and that was before the Plus and Premier fares. So I can see how it would be a big issue on the Royal Class ships where the bars are very small.

I didn't watch the video - was that from the last, short Aussie cruise? 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, it was an English couple on a Northern European cruise. Apparently 100% of capacity on the cruise and 97% with drinks packages. I'm glad to hear that they usually work okay as I've never sailed with Princess but have recently booked two cruises and signed up for the Premier packages so I hope they're worth something!

The juice issue is one I just don't understand, as surely, even if you were paying cash for a glass of juice, it wouldn't be more than the package limit per drink - would it? What would they charge for a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice? I suppose their problem is that people can drink it all day but I do think that if you've already purchased the package, they should honour what was included at the time you purchased it.

• Like 2

We’re on Coral now doing the 12 night cruise.  We berthed at Brisbane cruise terminal this morning which is very new but about 20 minutes from the city..  Aoart from security staff there are no hostesses or information in the terminal, absolutely nothing.  There’s no shuttles to take passengers into the city and no taxis unless you order one which most people didnt because they expect to find a shuttle like other ports.  Many angry passengers as there are a lot of people waiting for taxis that don’t come.  The terminal is amongst the commercial shipping area.  A security guy  was trying his best to keep passengers happy but nothing he could do only to say it was very poor organisation..

He also said if you go into Brisbane you might not get back in time to board the ship due to lack of taxis and roadworks.  We got back onboard after waiting 2 hours. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fortunatefew said:

We’re on Coral now doing the 12 night cruise.  We berthed at Brisbane cruise terminal this morning which is very new but about 20 minutes from the city..  Aoart from security staff there are no hostesses or information in the terminal, absolutely nothing.  There’s no shuttles to take passengers into the city and no taxis unless you order one which most people didnt because they expect to find a shuttle like other ports.  Many angry passengers as there are a lot of people waiting for taxis that don’t come.  The terminal is amongst the commercial shipping area.  A security guy  was trying his best to keep passengers happy but nothing he could do only to say it was very poor organisation..

He also said if you go into Brisbane you might not get back in time to board the ship due to lack of taxis and roadworks.  We got back onboard after waiting 2 hours. 

That would be disappointing. There should be shuttle buses to take people to the CBD. It is at least a 30 minute drive.

However, I think the security guard was unduly pessimistic saying you could miss the ship. I can understand that taxis aren't waiting at the terminal when the Coral is coming in on a port call and the taxi companies probably weren't aware of it. However, if you went to the CBD or elsewhere, when you were ready to return to the ship there would be no difficulty in getting a taxi. I think the ship is due to leave at 4pm.

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One advantage of Coral is that there are plenty of bars, and enough waiters in each bar to service each area. Good Spirits was chocka last night before dinner so we just went to the Wheelhouse Bar. Sure, it can take a few minutes for a waiter to notice you and sometimes it takes a bit longer than usual to get your drink but it's no big deal on this ship.

However I recall the last cruise we did before Covid, on a full to capacity Ruby Princess, and getting a drink on that ship could take half an hour in Crooners., and that was before the Plus and Premier fares. So I can see how it would be a big issue on the Royal Class ships where the bars are very small.

Good Spirits Bar is great, they make a jubbly Brandy Alexander, my favourite,  had a few of those, lol.  The barman is a real character tossing the cocktails etc.🍸

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That would be disappointing. There should be shuttle buses to take people to the CBD. It is at least a 30 minute drive.

However, I think the security guard was unduly pessimistic saying you could miss the ship. I can understand that taxis aren't waiting at the terminal when the Coral is coming in on a port call and the taxi companies probably weren't aware of it. However, if you went to the CBD or elsewhere, when you were ready to return to the ship there would be no difficulty in getting a taxi. I think the ship is due to leave at 4pm.

Having been into Brisvegas, albeit not the new terminal but ye olde Grain Terminal on both Princess and Cunard ships, there were always shuttle buses to the Brisvegas CBD.  Someone has stuffed up this time, Princess? Brisbane Tourism? Ship's agent? I don't blame pax for getting aggro.

Edited by NSWP

53 minutes ago, Fortunatefew said:

We berthed at Brisbane cruise terminal this morning which is very new but about 20 minutes from the city..  Aoart from security staff there are no hostesses or information in the terminal, absolutely nothing.  There’s no shuttles to take passengers into the city and no taxis unless you order one which most people didnt because they expect to find a shuttle like other ports.  Many angry passengers as there are a lot of people waiting for taxis that don’t come.

I know its a new cruise terminal in an industrial area,  but surely the planners could have done better than this?  I gather there is no public transport anywhere near it, also.  The taxi situation might improve with time, as more taxi companies learn that there will be fares lining up on ship arrivals, just like at the airport. It is a decent enough fare for them from the new terminal into the city. Probably needs some local publicity.

Having read on CC from several sources now, I'm just going to pay the $A40 to take the cruise ship shuttle to the airport on disembarkation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

No, it was an English couple on a Northern European cruise. Apparently 100% of capacity on the cruise and 97% with drinks packages. I'm glad to hear that they usually work okay as I've never sailed with Princess but have recently booked two cruises and signed up for the Premier packages so I hope they're worth something!

The juice issue is one I just don't understand, as surely, even if you were paying cash for a glass of juice, it wouldn't be more than the package limit per drink - would it? What would they charge for a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice? I suppose their problem is that people can drink it all day but I do think that if you've already purchased the package, they should honour what was included at the time you purchased it.

Apparently it's because too many people were wanting freshly squeezed OJ for breakfast and they couldn't cope withe the demand.

I don't think it was a big problem here on Coral but the directive came down from Corporate so the crew have to comply with it.

The T&Cs let them do what they like unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fortunatefew said:

Luckily we chose not to go off the ship this morning but I was quite surprised when I realised there were no shuttle buses organised. I didn't check the excursions so don't know if one of those "on your own" excursions was available where a bus takes you somewhere so you can wander around by yourself then return to the bus at the alloted time to get back to the ship. 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Good Spirits Bar is great, they make a jubbly Brandy Alexander, my favourite,  had a few of those, lol.  The barman is a real character tossing the cocktails etc.🍸

He is indeed and the waiters there are excellent. It's our favourite pre-dinner bar, and sometimes after dinner if we just want a quiet nightcap without entertainment.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently it's because too many people were wanting freshly squeezed OJ for breakfast and they couldn't cope withe the demand.

I don't think it was a big problem here on Coral but the directive came down from Corporate so the crew have to comply with it.

The T&Cs let them do what they like unfortunately.

If they charged $2 for fresh orange juice to anyone on the package, they would drop the demand in half (at least) in the same way most people won't pay $2 extra for an $18 cocktail

• Like 2

Just now, arxcards said:

If they charged $2 for fresh orange juice to anyone on the package, they would drop the demand in half (at least) in the same way most people won't pay $2 extra for an $18 cocktail

Very true and great idea. Would keep the people who *really* want the OJ happy. And keeping the customer happy is what it's all about in the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fortunatefew said:

Noted for our Majestic cruise into there late next month. We weren't making any real plans, apart from friends that me might catch-up with outside the terminal.

PS: Brisbane needs to learn. If they want people to spend money in Brisbane, they need to at least give passengers the opportunity.

Edited by arxcards
PS
  • Like 4