The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Today is VJ Day WWII, College Colors Day, and National Food Bank Day

Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.--Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Meal Suggestion for today - Hitsumabushi
Drink of the Day - Take 9
Wine of the Day - laurenz v “singing” griiner veltliner, austria
Destination of the Day - A Coruña, Spain

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

Scenic Cruising The Inside Passage

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 09/03

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Katakolon, Olympia, Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 10:00 - 19:00

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Quebec City, Canada 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukranian Relief

0902World.thumb.png.890efa04732f1d61c1efe0f674beef59.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  A great collection of days, celebrating VJ and especially celebrating out food banks.  I love the quote but have not been to A Coruña.  Definitely waiting for what @0106 has to say about the meal.

Today’s care list:

luvteaching’s friend Waybe in hospice and wife Karen
Marshhawk’s friend Jessee with throat cancer
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri worsening multi-site  pain
Dfish poor experience with surgeon
From the rotation:
Sandi’s neighbor Linda in critical condition
strength for smitty34877 helping Tana long term
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

55 years for Quartzite Cruiser
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
2 days for cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/4 to 9/11)
Horizon Chaser 1957 back on the mainland
Marshhawk free of dog walking
0106 covering menus while Dfish hunts for forever home
Kochleffel (Voyager OTS  to 9/3), Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS  to 9/5),  luvteaching (Crown Princess to 9/3), Eurodam to 9/10). Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the  Fleet and Daily Report.

It's a pleasant morning here, supposed to get to 29C (84F) and sunny this afternoon.  With the humidex, it will feel like 34F (93F).

We contribute to food banks, too bad they are so necessary.   

I like the quote.

Not sure about the meal, looking forward to reading all about it.  Hope the drink and wine are good.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

I celebrate the MD Food Bank, an organization that I support which provided over 62 million meals to MD Families in 2021.  

EEL will you eat it? 

I have eaten unagi (eel) nigiri sushi.  Freshwater eels have a medium-firm texture with a rich, naturally sweet flavor and taste like the combination of lobster and chicken.   I know, everything you can’t describe tastes like chicken.   Also, I have used live eels when fishing for rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay. 

I have never cooked with eel.  I can get all the ingredients necessary for this recipe at H Mart, a nationwide (in the US) Asian grocery store.  Honestly, I do try to prepare at least one of the recipes before I post.  (My DH really enjoys being my taste tester when I am preparing meat.)  Honestly, I would happily eat this dish, but I would never prepare it.  I will look for it the next time I eat in a Japanese restaurant.  If I can try it, I will report back.

Hitsumabushi is a traditional Japanese dish originating from Nagoya, Japan. Although it's similar ingredients to unadon (a classic Japanese rice bowl dish with sweet and savory freshwater eel), it consists of sliced grilled eel that's served on top of steamed rice, but it's accompanied by assorted condiments and garnishes. The dish is also served in a very specific way – everything is divided into four portions. The first portion is eaten as it is, the second is accompanied by condiments such as nori seaweed, chopped green onions, and wasabi. The third portion is the same as the second, with the addition of dashi broth or green tea (eaten like a soup), and the last portion is eaten however you like.

Here are two recipes. 

https://sudachirecipes.com/hitsumabushi/

Unagi Hitsumabushi Nagoya Style Grilled Eel served on a black lacquerware tray

https://cookingwithdog.com/recipe/hitsumabushi/

You are currently viewing Unagi Hitsumabushi Recipe (3 Ways to Enjoy Grilled Eel Fillets) Unadon

If anyone has eaten Hitsumabushi or even more impressive made Hitsumabushi, please post and let us know how you liked it.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Dailyites!  Happy Friday!  Really, I only know it is Friday because we watched the pre race info for F1 last night.  Long day today, and long day tomorrow, and then I am off on Sunday.

I dont actually start working until 12, but because it is an F1 weekend , it's a donut run day.

@0106 The pictures of the food look great, but not if you tell me it's eel.  I'd rather not know.

b243c37fd19c3145fd0c0a1b10d4745d.jpg

c8fba9bb12059267a4d958383c0f818f--funny-cat-quotes-funny-cats.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 10

Thank you for the fleet reports Rich.

70°F but cloudy here.

Great collection of days.

Not sure about today's food and drink.

We have been to A Caruna several times on cruises and are going there on our next cruise.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham.

• Like 23

Good morning friends!  It's 68F, 100% humidity and thunderstorms predicted this afternoon.  What a summer!  Fall will be a relief.  First, happy 55th anniversary to @Quartzsite CruiserLenda and DH! 🥂 Also happy 14th birthday to our youngest DGC Austin.  🎂

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Oh my, the menu suggestion is a doozy today.  Like Annie @marshhawkI don't need to know it's eel.  Someone else can have my share.  Hurray for VJ Day!  The end of a war is always a good thing.  A salute to everyone's college colors.  My kids had dueling colors - maize and blue vs. scarlet and grey!  Food bank day is a great idea which we need to keep in mind and try to help out whenever we can.  A Coruna, Spain sounds like a nice place to visit but I never have.  It was last posted here on July 16, 2021, is on page 46 of Rich's activity posting, and here is a link to that page if you have photos to retrieve.

Roy @rafinmdthanks for taking care of the lists for us.  When I hear more news on Linda I will let you know.  I'm thinking they're trying to figure out where to send her for rehabilitation.  I can't imagine having back surgery and both wrists out of comission at the same time.  Unbelievable!  Prayers for all on the Care list, our Ukrainian friends, and anyone else we may have missed.  Cheers to all celebrating something.  Only four more days until our 53rd wedding anniversary but I don't think we will be holding a big shindig or heading out on a cruise to celebrate. Oh, and happy anniversary on the 9th to Annie @marshhawkand DH Chuck.  September is a nice month to be married.  

Have a great start to the Labor Day weekend my friends!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday!  @Quartzsite CruiserHappy anniversary.  Thanks for the Daily Reports!   I will pass on eel and wine.   Another port I have been to. We were on Konigsdam Iberian Adventure and it was September 2018.  Beautiful weather and we walked through the city to find a childhood home of Picasso.  It was a small museum.  It was a beautiful city to walk through and easy to navigate. No pics, they are on my laptop. Prayers for all on our Care list. 

Today is trying to wrap up the plant cut back. I am afraid it will be another additional day due to it getting into the high 80s today. I smoked a half brisket.  It was the flat end and it was tough and took 8.5 hours to make 190 degrees.   Many sandwiches in my future, John doesn't care for it. Have a great weekend!

IMG_20220901_084419659.jpg

IMG_20220901_155326682_HDR.jpg

• Like 24

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Three great days to celebrate. Wish that after WW2  ended all wars would end but not to happen.

@Quartzsite Cruiser A very Happy Anniversary to you. May you have many more!

We went out last nite with friends for the bioluminescence. I was surprised when they asked because I thought it was over. It was probably the best I have ever  seen! They live on the river and said this week has been amazing. 

Rocket scheduled to go again tomorrow. I am hoping for their success. Currently scheduled for 2:17pm.   Debating on my scheduled tee time.  Dont want to get caught in traffic.  

Found out that Lahaina has been dropped for Kahuli. Not too pleased but we will figure it out. 

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 23

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! Have a great weekend!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Anniversary!

Still waiting to hear from the insurance company for the roof. Hopefully we aren't denied as we did receive the quote from the first roofing company we contacted. I can't believe the difference in cost (much, much higher) than when we did the roof in Maryland before selling. Two more houses in the neighborhood had their re-roofing projects start yesterday. Quite a bit of banging going on!

Stay Safe!

Jack

• Like 20

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  The end of any war is a good thing.  Our college colours are green and white, easily seen around the city.  We regularly make contributions to the food bank - it's sad that it's a necessity these days.

Oh, it's a chilly one out there this morning, only +5C (41F); we felt it cooling off rapidly last night and ended up only leaving a couple of the windows open for the night.  Never fear, we are the land of contrasts and tomorrow the high is expected to be +36 (96F).  Tank tops in the morning, sweaters at night, that's where we live.

@Quartzsite CruiserHappy Anniversary to you!

@marshhawkHappy Anniversary to you!

Let the love and laughter continue!!

Last night's dinner with our friends went well - we were all more than happy to eat around the dining table in the comfort of air conditioning, rather than roasting on the deck.  It was so good to get together with these two couples, as the two women were DH's "little sisters" when they were all single.  They've known him longer than I have, so of course, the stories started rolling after a few glasses of wine.  LOL

I'm taking a hard pass on today's menu suggestion - I just can't get past the eel part.  I abhor snakes and this is a swimming snake.  Aargh!!   Although it's Friday night, we have lots of leftovers from last night, so we'll be enjoying salmon and salads (there wasn't even a single potato left)  on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers for the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

@summer slope  I've heard of a Back Nine which is basically an Arnold Palmer (iced and lemonade) with vodka added.

Here's a recipe for a Take 9 I found online.

1 1/2 parts Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum

3/4 part dry vermouth

1/4 part DeKuyper   Blue Curacao Liqueur

1/2 tsp Grenadine

Garnish Orange Twist

Combine all ingredients over ice in a tumbler and stir for 30 seconds. Strain into a chilled Martini coupe. Garnish with an orange twist.

https://www.thecocktailproject.com/drink-recipes/take-9/

Take 9 | The Cocktail Project

Edited by 0106
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Morning Dailyites.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda & DH Happy 55th Anniversary!

Up early for our Tundra Wilderness tour, and COVID test, but wanted to pose the question I asked last night, since I am hoping to get as many opinions as possible. 

Again if you have experienced this trip in the past, I ask you not to comment. 

How would you interpret the statement between the two yellow lines? Thanks to all who take the time to reply!

I hope I have lots of wildlife pics to share later. 

Ann

2A8E75B4-C00E-42CB-99E4-FBC1951E551B.thumb.jpeg.24d9a86f183ea51c67a14663a52916f2.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 11