NCL Steals and Deals

graphicguy

Now that NCL is back to filling their ships, it’s nice to get back to chatting about “other” hot topics.

I am OCD when it comes to fare shopping.  I check different fares every single day.  I also tend to find the best fares on NCL cruises that are sailing within a 90 day embarkation window.

I make no bones about my priorities…in order…

1. Fare price (apples to apples in each cabin category) with all promos, perks, fees, tips, etc rolled into the number

2.  Itinerary

3.  Ship

4.  Date (being retired allows me lots of latitude)

5.  Cabin type

Ya’ll feel free to let us know what you find.

Looking to do a different itinerary.  I’ve sailed the Mediterranean, Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska.  Some itineraries I’ve done several times.

On NCL, I’m Sapphire Latitudes.  So, that nets me some perks.

Which brings me to right now, September 2022 looking at cruises for October/November 2022.

NCL Breakaway…sailing an itinerary I’ve never sailed in New England and Canada.

Yeah…yeah…it’s October.  The leaves will have already changed.  But, weather should be good…not oppressively hot.  And, it includes some places I’ve NEVER been.

Shapes up like this….

NCL is running attractive solo fares (which I am), and all fares are rounded.

Inside is $400

Oceanview is $500

Solo cabin $600 (can’t figure that one out….just get an inside for less money)

Balcony is $550

Club Balcony is $600

Spa Balcony is $2,500 (might just want to get a Club Balcony and buy a spa pass)

HAVEN—$4,500 (which for the Haven, as a solo, is a good deal)

NCL will give me $50 OBC.  TA will give me $120 OBC or pay for my tips on board.  AMEX Platinum will give me at least a dinner at LeBistro + bottle of wine and add $300 OBC if I sail in the Haven.

Sapphire Latitudes gives me free laundry and 2 free specialty dinners and some excursion discounts.

NCL offers “free” drinks, 2 specialty dinners, excursion credits, some internet.

I have $450 in FCC (from my last cruise’s fare drop) plus $100 CRUISE NEXT cert.

Depending on category, I could sail for free and get some perks to boot.

Seriously thinking about this….. 😉

• Like 6

I'll be on the Oct 2nd New England/Canada Sailing on Breakaway. It was indeed a great deal in the 2-bedroom for the whole family. Plus the NY port is 18 miles from my home so it's easy.

You can use the map and calendar here to check the prediction on when peak fall foliage will be. My sail date of Oct 2nd will still have nice foliage. Even mid-october will still be nice. The New England itineraries are port intensive so there will be lots of options on things to see and do and I think the weather will be a plus personally. Not pool weather but it will be great for exploring the small towns and national parks.

If I were you I would get a club balcony since it looks like the best value. If the budget allows it I would get the Haven because the covered courtyard will still allow use of the pool and hot tubs even if it gets a little chilly.

So, what are you waiting for?

Check your Latitudes account @graphicguy you may have a 20% coupon code for a 2022 Canada/NE cruise in there (I do).  I'm actually starting to seriously consider that last week of October cruise as I can get on the ship in a balcony for under $500 out of pocket (factoring a CN that I have as well).

I actually have a 10% off ANY cruise in my account as well, not sure I can stack the 10% and 20%, but I might just hold that for a Spring trip.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah…yeah…it’s October.  The leaves will have already changed. 

Not necessarily, especially in southern New England and especially if you mean earlier October vs later October.

I have a home in central VT and Columbus Day Weekend (are we still allowed to call it that?), Oct 8-10 this year, is always peak there.  From that point south pretty much the bulk of October is peak.   Coastal areas also tend to lag behind the mountains.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

unless you've already made up your mind, check out the back to back sailing on the gem. 1st 7 days, venice (trieste) to trieste, greek isles, next 7 days trieste to rome. itinerary shows some very interesting ports, and the price for the 2 weeks for a club balcony appears reasonable (imo)

by the way, wife and i are seriously thinking of taking this.

1st week 10/30/2022 thru 11/6/2022 next 7 days 11/6/2022 thru 11/13/2022.

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Now that NCL is back to filling their ships, it’s nice to get back to chatting about “other” hot topics.

I am OCD when it comes to fare shopping.  I check different fares every single day.  I also tend to find the best fares on NCL cruises that are sailing within a 90 day embarkation window.

1. Fare price (apples to apples in each cabin category) with all promos, perks, fees, tips, etc rolled into the number

2.  Itinerary

3.  Ship

5.  Cabin type

Looking to do a different itinerary.  I’ve sailed the Mediterranean, Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska.  Some itineraries I’ve done several times.

Which brings me to right now, September 2022 looking at cruises for October/November 2022.

Yeah…yeah…it’s October.  The leaves will have already changed.  But, weather should be good…not oppressively hot.  And, it includes some places I’ve NEVER been.

Shapes up like this….

Inside is $400

Oceanview is $500

Balcony is $550

Club Balcony is $600

Spa Balcony is $2,500 (might just want to get a Club Balcony and buy a spa pass)

NCL will give me $50 OBC.  TA will give me $120 OBC or pay for my tips on board.  AMEX Platinum will give me at least a dinner at LeBistro + bottle of wine and add $300 OBC if I sail in the Haven.

Sapphire Latitudes gives me free laundry and 2 free specialty dinners and some excursion discounts.

NCL offers “free” drinks, 2 specialty dinners, excursion credits, some internet.

I have $450 in FCC (from my last cruise’s fare drop) plus $100 CRUISE NEXT cert.

Addressing the one you can't figure out...the inside price is a sailaway rate with no perks, the studio cabin has the perks, and the private lounge without kids running the halls.

Aside from that, I'm genuinely confused as to why you're looking give that your signature says that you are "FINISHED WITH NCL"? We must view "FINISHED" differently.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Aside from that, I'm genuinely confused as to why you're looking give that your signature says that you are "FINISHED WITH NCL"? We must view "FINISHED" differently.

Many posters on this sub-forum are "FINISHED WITH NCL" only until their next fine cruise on NCL.  Most are just blowing "smoke."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Addressing the one you can't figure out...the inside price is a sailaway rate with no perks, the studio cabin has the perks, and the private lounge without kids running the halls.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Yeah…I was pretty darned PO’d at them at the time.  They jacked me around on my refunds a year and a half ago.  Then, after sending all the restart messages, I booked again, and they canceled just a few days before sailing.  Crazy times…very poor communication.

Then, I took some of my FCC (use it or lose it) to sail the Encore.  Hardly anyone aboard and they treated me like a king.  I remembered what I liked about NCL.  And, well…..all of a sudden, I was cruising with them, again.  Made a couple of stops with Celebrity and Royal.  Liked Celebrity.  Royal…had fun….but they weren’t ready for a capacity cruise at the time.  

Have some NCL FCC.  Plus, invested in some NCL stock, which has paid me off quite handsomely (bought at $11…been bouncing between $12-$15) that gives me $100 OBC.

Unfortunately, after checking my Latitudes account, no discounts but my FCC is still there.

Between GEM and Breakaway.  After all FCC and discounts 

Feel pretty good about the Breakaway.  Mid or Late October….if I see a leaf that’s still on any tree that’s any color other than green, I’ll consider it a success.

$619 for Club Balcony, as a solo with perks.  TA pays for tips.  NCL gives me $100 OBC as a shareholder, and another $50 OBC because I guess I’m just so darned charming.  At least 4 Specialty Dinners.  A free bag of laundry.  Some other stuff, too.

WOULD LOVE to cruise the Mediterranean again.  Even being retired, not sure I can do being gone 2-3 weeks, though.

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Many posters on this sub-forum are "FINISHED WITH NCL" only until their next fine cruise on NCL.  Most are just blowing "smoke."

I had FCC from the shutdown.  If it wasn’t for that, I don’t know that I would have come back

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I had FCC from the shutdown.  If it wasn’t for that, I don’t know that I would have come back

Whatever.  I wasn't specifically referring to you.  There is at least one prolific poster who has declared for months that he/she will never sail NCL again, yet still makes countless posts telling us how awful NCL is.  There are several others who do the same thing.

• Like 4

Just got off the Breakaway Canada/New England and loved all the ports!  Bar Harbor was a tender but we were in the Haven so no problems there.  While in Canada I asked when peak leaf time and they said early October so heading South mid October.  They also did not have as dry as a summer as we did in New England so the leaves are not in distress...

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Plus, invested in some NCL stock, which has paid me off quite handsomely (bought at $11…been bouncing between $12-$15) that gives me $100 OBC.

Most of the time.  But if you get solo fare they might only give you $50.  Only happened to me once but it is in the terms.  Must be the luck of the draw on who processes your request - don't think they always pay attention but once in awhile somebody does.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Whatever.  I wasn't specifically referring to you.  There is at least one prolific poster who has declared for months that he/she will never sail NCL again, yet still makes countless posts telling us how awful NCL is.  There are several others who do the same thing.

No issue!  I know who you're referring to, actually!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Most of the time.  But if you get solo fare they might only give you $50.  Only happened to me once but it is in the terms.  Must be the luck of the draw on who processes your request - don't think they always pay attention but once in awhile somebody does.

Interesting.  I've only used the investor OBC once.  It was as a solo, but they allowed the entire $100.  So, given I think I'll make 20% on share prices rising, and another 20% as OBC, that's a nice ROI!

• Haha 1

Do you get amex plat benefits when sailing solo?  This is only my first time sailing when I had the amex card.   Before my brother joined me in my cabin, I was a solo in an inside cabin and my TA said I could only get the amex benefit if it was double occupancy.  Thx

6 hours ago, julig22 said:

Most of the time.  But if you get solo fare they might only give you $50. 

I'm traveling solo in Nov on a 15-day TA, and had no issues getting the full $250 OBC within 24hr of submitting my request. 

4 minutes ago, alanstarr said:

I'm traveling solo in Nov on a 15-day TA, and had no issues getting the full $250 OBC within 24hr of submitting my request. 

Didn't say it was an issue. Just fair warning that IF you are paying solo (reduced) fare, they CAN reduce the amount, per the T&C's. If you are traveling solo but paying full fare, you will always get the full amount.  Only had it happen once, have gotten the full amount every other trip, probably 9 or 10 times with reduced solo fare.  They even attached a letter to the acknowledgement, explaining why I only got half.

13 hours ago, StarAFire said:

Do you get amex plat benefits when sailing solo?  This is only my first time sailing when I had the amex card.   Before my brother joined me in my cabin, I was a solo in an inside cabin and my TA said I could only get the amex benefit if it was double occupancy.  Thx

Yes.  I’ve done it several times.  My TA does adhere to the AMEX Platinum promo.  Not sure all TAs do.  Surprisingly, if you try to book directly with NCL, they DO NOT recognize the AMEX Perks.  Just another reason I do not and will not book directly with NCL.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yes.  I’ve done it several times.  My TA does adhere to the AMEX Platinum promo.  Not sure all TAs do.  Surprisingly, if you try to book directly with NCL, they DO NOT recognize the AMEX Perks.  Just another reason I do not and will not book directly with NCL.

Hi, would you mind messaging me who your TA is?  After our cruise next week, we will probably be looking for our next cruise w/ my sister's family.  Since my brother has moved to the other side of the country, I will be booking as solo.  Thanks

1 minute ago, StarAFire said:

Hi, would you mind messaging me who your TA is?  After our cruise next week, we will probably be looking for our next cruise w/ my sister's family.  Since my brother has moved to the other side of the country, I will be booking as solo.  Thanks

CC does not have a way to IM or private messaging.  And, I’m not allowed to share that information here as it is forbidden by CC.

Just now, graphicguy said:

CC does not have a way to IM or private messaging.  And, I’m not allowed to share that information here as it is forbidden by CC.

Ah ok, I had seen a button but didn't know it was disabled.  If you are willing to share, my email is same as my username at gmail.  If not, that is ok too.  Thanks

On 9/2/2022 at 7:27 AM, graphicguy said:

2.  Itinerary

3.  Ship

5.  Cabin type

Shapes up like this….

Inside is $400

Oceanview is $500

Balcony is $550

Club Balcony is $600

Hmmmm...have u made a decision!

I am considering the Oct. 30 cruise...

Like you I love a good deal!