LIVE FROM - Royal Princess - Sept 3-10 2022, Vancouver BC to Anchorage Alaska

rheathslc

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

rheathslc was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

T-Minus 1 Day until Embarkation

After our two 5-day B2B cruises on the Diamond for Sept 1st and 6th were cancelled a few weeks ago we scrambled to find something for a similar date range and were able to book an aft Penthouse Suite on the Royal at short notice leaving just two days later. So here we are!

This is my 4th (and partner's 2nd) cruise since the restart and I found all the "Live From" threads last summer and fall so valuable that I figured I could attempt to repay the favor by starting one for this trip.

We booked the original cruises to celebrate my 40th b-day which is actually today, Sept 2nd. We were supposed to already be onboard for my actual b-day but instead today I'm celebrating at home by doing the Abbott BinaxNow proctored test (since cruise leaves prior to the Sept 6th testing rules change) and packing. 🙂

We really wanted to fly directly to Vancouver the night before but with how late these changes happened, flights and hotels were already way too limited and expensive. So, we're risking it a bit by flying in tomorrow morning. If everything goes according to plan, we'll leave from Salt Lake City at 7:00am and land at SeaTac at 8:10am and catch the estimated 4-hour Princess transfer from SeaTac to the pier in Vancouver. I tried every possible combination of travel methods I could think of but nothing else would have gotten us there earlier without having to pay BIG bucks to stay overnight in a hotel (around $500). Since this is a splurge trip for us for my big b-day I decided I'd rather spend that money at the spa onboard.

We're also trying out the new Princess Premier package on this one and I will report back about that as well.

As I start packing I'll document what we're taking with us. I did a 7-day "Inside Passage" cruise rt out of Seattle on the beleaguered Crown in May and learned a lot about what I want to pack for Alaska this time.

Hope someone finds this useful and/or entertaining. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I'm excited to follow along with this one - definitely looking to find out about the Premiere package use of Royal as I'm considering it for my trip on September 17th (I literally just posted asking about the photo package as that is the piece that has value for me). Looking forward to all the good. bad. and ugly...lol

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Given previous threads about Princess, Canada, and Covid ... do you have 'specific procedures' in place should you, or your partner, test positive for Covid-19 on the ship in regards to the Canada quarantine protocol and regulations?

We leave from Vancouver but since the cruise ends in the U.S. we should be okay if we test positive onboard. We have family in Anchorage with whom we can stay if we did need to isolate for any reason. My understanding is that only if the cruise ended in Canada before we completed a 10-day isolation would we be required to isolate after disembarkation and before heading home. But your question is a good reminder to review all the rules. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on your birthday! Sounds like you are all ready (on such short notice) to celebrate "Royally". I will be following along as we will be  boarding on Sept.24 for a month.

Interested in learning about covid protocols while you are on board and if guests are complying.

Enjoy!

Cnd crsr

• Like 1

Tests were both negative! Time to pack! 

I am a habitual over-packer (I'll see if I can dig up the pic of the luggage I took on my first solo cruise - which just so happened to be for my 30th b-day 10 years ago - it was comical - and getting through customs in Montreal was miserable) so for my last Alaska cruise in May this year I really tried to be mindful of what I packed. I ended up wearing everything I took but did NOT read the big, heavy, real books I took. I used my Kindle exclusively so I think I'll be able to save a few pounds this time by admitting now that I will NOT read that new non-fiction tome and will instead consume nothing but Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series for the 17th time (probably NOT an exaggeration).

But here's what I wish I HAD packed last time and am adding this time:

Sun hat - I don't go ANYWHERE without serious sun protection because I burn in approximately 3 seconds. I figured I wouldn't need it on a late May trip to southeast Alaska. Boy was I wrong. We had GORGEOUS weather the whole time and I bought a ball cap with a sequined Sea Witch logo but it did NOT do the job. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Binoculars - none of the many lists I read prior to my last cruise mentioned this one. Several people used them during our day in Glacier Bay and on the train ride in Skagway. I wished I had some. So I'm bringing the little compact pair I got, funnily enough, as a reward for being complimented by guests during my four summer seasons working at the McKinley Princess Lodge on the border of Denali STATE park (which has the best view of Denali btw) a hundred year ago (okay, maybe only 17).

3 swimsuits - Hear me out - the pools and hot tubs were deserted on my last Alaska trip but were delightful if you're okay braving the discomfort when you hop out and have to run for cover. So I used the pools, hot tubs, and thermal suite multiple times a day. It was too cool and humid for my suits to dry between uses. Putting on a clammy suit is the WORST! SO I got a third suit for this trip.

Cozy robe - The robes they provide in the cabins are okay for covering up after a shower but leave a lot to be desired in terms of comfort and warmth. Both important on an Alaska cruise - especially one on which we have a nice big wraparound aft balcony. I'm going to use our ziploc space bags to pack some of the bulky items like my robe and down coat.

Edited by rheathslc
  • Like 2

Happy Birthday!  I'm excited for you getting to leave for your replacement cruise so soon.  FYI, the times we have been in suites, the heavier terry shawl robes were provided.  They were so heavy and warm that last time I asked for one of the "normal" robes 😄.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, donswife said:

Happy Birthday!  I'm excited for you getting to leave for your replacement cruise so soon.  FYI, the times we have been in suites, the heavier terry shawl robes were provided.  They were so heavy and warm that last time I asked for one of the "normal" robes 😄.

Thank you! Me too! It's why we opted for the FCC instead of the official replacement options. I didn't want to wait until November. And thanks for the tip about the suite robes. I know the suite benefits flyer SAYS upgraded robes but I wasn't sure what that would mean exactly. On my last cruise I asked if they sold those nice spa robes. They don't. Too bad. But one of our local spas has very similar robes and DOES sell them.

9 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

Thank you! Me too! It's why we opted for the FCC instead of the official replacement options. I didn't want to wait until November. And thanks for the tip about the suite robes. I know the suite benefits flyer SAYS upgraded robes but I wasn't sure what that would mean exactly. On my last cruise I asked if they sold those nice spa robes. They don't. Too bad. But one of our local spas has very similar robes and DOES sell them.

The suite robes are huge, heavy, and thick.  I can't wear them (way too much material) but they make great blankets.  I'm not sure I would take it to a pool.  

• Thanks 1

We're all packed!

In terms of clothes I did very well. Everything fit in one - albeit large - suitcase. The shoes and toiletries are another story. I have large feet (size 12 womens/10.5 mens) and my hiking shoes alone took up a 1/4 of the medium case. And I'm taking a bunch bath accoutrement and plan on making good use of the nice tub in our suite.

But we're bringing ducks to hide, a few of our favorite small footprint "boardgames" and a bunch of stuff to decorate for my birthday so we have more cases than I would like. Oh well. We'll have a blast!

Now for 5 hours of sleep before we catch our flight! Woohoo!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rheathslc said:

we have more cases than I would like. Oh well. We'll have a blast!

Day 1 - 6:00am MST

Well the too many suitcases proved to be our downfall. Literally.

Before we ascended the 2 floors from the airport shuttle drop off to check in I thought too myself "we should take the elevator - this is a lot of luggage" but I ignored my better judgment. The first escalator ride was awkaward but fine. One the second I unwisely positioned the largest bag in front (upslope) of me. One of the wheels slipped from the stair and two adults and five suitcases of varying sizes performed a slow motion tumble down several escalator stairs. Mind you, it's 4:30am and the airport is deserted so there was no one around to help or even hit the emergency stop button for what seemed like full minutes.

My ankle is a bit banged up and my shiny new shoes got smeared with thick black grease from the stair riser. 

Lesson learned - when it doubt, take the elevator.

• Like 1

We made it to SeaTac! And we made the first bus so we're going to make it to the ship a bit earlier than we planned. Hooray!

The long-suffering Preston can't wait to hand my excessive luggage over to Princess. Haha!

20220903_083826.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

We were on a B2B2B on the Diamond (starting Sept. 6) and I was following the roll calls that you started.  So happy to see that you found this replacement.  As for us, we are leaving this coming Friday to drive to Long Beach and embarking the Carnival Panorama on Saturday.  I will be looking forward to your "live from".  Have a super time!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CruzinNoony said:

We were on a B2B2B on the Diamond (starting Sept. 6) and I was following the roll calls that you started.  So happy to see that you found this replacement.  As for us, we are leaving this coming Friday to drive to Long Beach and embarking the Carnival Panorama on Saturday.  I will be looking forward to your "live from".  Have a super time!

Glad you found a good replacement as well. Enjoy!

14 hours ago, rheathslc said:

We're all packed!

In terms of clothes I did very well. Everything fit in one - albeit large - suitcase. The shoes and toiletries are another story. I have large feet (size 12 womens/10.5 mens) and my hiking shoes alone took up a 1/4 of the medium case. And I'm taking a bunch bath accoutrement and plan on making good use of the nice tub in our suite.

But we're bringing ducks to hide, a few of our favorite small footprint "boardgames" and a bunch of stuff to decorate for my birthday so we have more cases than I would like. Oh well. We'll have a blast!

Now for 5 hours of sleep before we catch our flight! Woohoo!

Have a great cruise and Happy Birthday!

My parents and their friends are on this cruise with you.  The friends don't actually know my parents are on it, they're being surprised 😀. So I'll definitely be following to see if I see any of them in the background. Happy belated birthday! 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting about the Royal.  I have an upcoming cruise booked on the Royal in an aft suite.  I am looking forward to hear what you think about the cabin/ship.  I was in an aft suite on the Majestic back in 2019.  I hope the Royal Princess is as nice an experience.