Foreign transaction fees on Onboard charges?

oskidunker

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

Just inquiring so ai know which credit card to use. Have some good cash back cards but all have transaction fees.  

All on-board transactions are in US dollars, regardless of the ship's location, so foreign transaction fees wouldn't apply.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff-FLL said:

All on-board transactions are in US dollars, regardless of the ship's location, so foreign transaction fees wouldn't apply.  

Unless you are from a country other than the US

Edited by ldtr

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Oceania used to process credit cards through a foreign bank.  Even though the fees were billed in US dollars, the banks charged an interchange fee that resembled an FTF.  Don't know if they still do this.

No

Jancruz1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Oceania used to process credit cards through a foreign bank.  Even though the fees were billed in US dollars, the banks charged an interchange fee that resembled an FTF.  Don't know if they still do this.

I am sure if they do  there would  be the same uproar here as when they did years ago  😉

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cliff-FLL said:

The OP indicated that he's in San Bruno, CA, so I made the reasonably-safe assumption that his credit cards were using US dollars.

He is but others also read the posts.

5 hours ago, zalusky said:

Lots of FTF cards:  Chase Sapphire, Chase Amazon, Costco Citi.

I will probably use the Costco Citi since I will get 3% cash back in February.

That's my favorite for cruises and travel in general.  You can't beat 3% cash back with no FTF.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure if they do  there would  be the same uproar here as when they did years ago  😉

I gotta tell you I was upset when US-based Emerald cruises changed me a FTF when I made my final payment earlier this year for a Danube river cruise! I don’t remember getting charged a FTF in Jan 2020 when we placed a deposit.

25 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I gotta tell you I was upset when US-based Emerald cruises changed me a FTF when I made my final payment earlier this year for a Danube river cruise! I don’t remember getting charged a FTF in Jan 2020 when we placed a deposit.

Is Costco a presence where you live [they seem to have a bunch in what I would consider 'Central Texas']?  We get back the annual membership fee just on Gas savings alone.  Being a member makes the credit card free, and then we get the benefits of money back on Gas, Restaurants, and Travel.

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

Is Costco a presence where you live [they seem to have a bunch on what I would consider 'Central Texas']?  We get back the annual membership fee just on Gas savings alone.  Being a member makes the credit card free, and then we get the benefits of money back on Gas, Restaurants, and Travel.

Thx but that’s gotta wait for the next husband! 😜 This one “don’t do” Costco. You gotta pick your battles!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Thx but that’s gotta wait for the next husband! 😜 This one “don’t do” Costco. You gotta pick your battles!

We don't shop there, much [they have good deals on nutritional supplements and a few things like that – no food items] – but at home and on road trips they always have the cheapest gas in the area [as confirmed by Gas Buddy]. And the Costco Gas Station doesn't require setting foot in the store.  Tell your husband 'money talks' !

15 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We don't shop there, much [they have good deals on nutritional supplements and a few things like that – no food items] – but at home and on road trips they always have the cheapest gas in the area [as confirmed by Gas Buddy]. And the Costco Gas Station doesn't require setting foot in the store.  Tell your husband 'money talks' !

We get our gas at H‑E‑B, it has similar low prices. And Costco is across I-35. Its like a “moat” that divides our town, which we don’t want to cross. We don’t go there unless a trip to Loews is required…..

But thx for the good suggestions….

10 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

It is your CC that charges you

With Oceania that had switched to a Bank in Ireland so CC companies were processing the charges  for  a foreign country

Maybe Emerald  has an office in the USA  but aren't they  in Australia part of Scenic  cruises group?

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is your CC that charges you

With Oceania that had switched to a Bank in Ireland so CC companies were processing the charges  for  a foreign country

Maybe Emerald  has an office in the USA  but aren't they  in Australia part of Scenic  cruises group?

I get charged a foreign transaction fee because they use a bank outside the US. They have offices in California if I recall.

anyway, Scenic’s pre-cruise customer service sucks so I will never give them another dollar.

Edited by PhD-iva
Add

7 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I get charged a foreign transaction fee because they use a bank outside the US. They have offices in California if I recall.

anyway, Scenic’s pre-cruise customer service sucks so I will never give them another dollar.

Yes  hard to know where some companies will bank  when they have offices in your Country

When we did a Scenic cruise  they have an office in Canada  but we did not have any problems with the  FTF at that time

Just now, LHT28 said:

Yes  hard to know where some companies will bank  when they have offices in your Country

When we did a Scenic cruise  they have an office in Canada  but we did not have any problems with the  FTF at that time

I was so surprised by the foreign transaction fee earlier this year, because I don’t recall being charged anything in January 2020 when I made the deposit.

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

I was so surprised by the foreign transaction fee earlier this year, because I don’t recall being charged anything in January 2020 when I made the deposit.

yes  that would be annoying for sure