The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 3rd, 2022

richwmn

A chilly Saturday.  55 degrees with 10 mph winds after a day in the 80s yesterday. Plants all cut back and hauled away.  Today is a deep cabin cleaning while we wait for it to warm up and for the Artemis launch potential 1:20 Central Time. I always loved the Saturn rocket launches for Apollo never thought we would see the likes of those again.  

@kazuthanks for the Canada Goose memes.  Every few years a flock lands on our lake but with the shore mainly woods they leave. One year a gaggle tried to take over our lawn.  I took care of it. I scared them off but they returned.  I set up bottle rockets in angled wine bottles and when they returned I launched them over their heads.  They never returned.   

The brisket was much better in sandwiches. 

Prayers for all on our prayer list and the prayers for the people of Ukraine.  Thank you for the Daily Reports!

One of my summer projects is potting up excess plants to bring home. Here are the bulk of them by the driveway ready to be loaded when we return home.  Have a wonderful weekend!

IMG_20220903_071317300.jpg

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  The last time we went to the cinema was in 2018 when we saw Bohemian Rhapsody - loved that show.  Prior to that, it had been years and years since we'd seen a movie in a theatre.   Tailgating isn't something you normally see in Canada; I've often seen shots of tailgate parties being held prior to NFL games in the US.  We've been in a few skyscrapers around the world, even though DH is afraid of heights.  We don't have any here on the "frozen tundra", so I find it quite interesting to be up so high.  Although it's not the tallest at only 55 stories, my favourite was the Marina Bay Sands Hotel in Singapore. 

Another clear, sunny day in the works, much warmer than yesterday morning at 15C (59F) with an expected high of 34C (93F) and a heat warning.  Because of the heat we've experienced this past week and going into next week, the city has decided to keep the spray parks open for kids and adults to enjoy.  Normally they are shut down as soon as school begins, but this is an exception to help keep people comfortable.

We aren't traveling this long weekend, but do wish everyone a safe time if you're heading out on the roads.  When we were working, we always took off as soon as we could on a Friday afternoon to get ahead of the crowds, then got up at the crack of dawn on Monday morning to do the same coming home.  It sure helps to be retired!

I'd like today's menu suggestion, but think I'll make it on a day when the temps are a lot lower.  For tonight, I've got ground beef thawing that I'll make up into patties for DH to grill on the barbecue and will be serving them along with all the condiments and coleslaw for an easy dinner on a hot September night.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting and need strength, and cheers for all who have something to celebrate.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

They sure are - BUT they are protected under the Migratory act (whatever it’s called) here.  I think it applies to all of North America - but not 100% sure.

Yes, the migratory birds convention act protects them, but only in Canada. Each province has their own rules about when and how many can be hunted and you need a permit or licence to hunt them. Generally this applies: 

While Canada geese are a protected species in Canada, they can still be hunted. There are specific rules and regulations for hunting geese, and a special license must be obtained. The rules vary according to province or territory and can sometimes be difficult to navigate, so it’s important to thoroughly understand the regulations before you hunt.

i have eaten Canada goose, legally hunted, but it was nothing I would seek out again. It was made well-my sister is a wild games cooking aficionado- but once was enough for me. They are a nuisance, making a mess along our riverfront paths and lawns of homes with ponds in their subdivision. And yes, that honking going north signals winter is coming.

we have a population here in Essex county that never leaves. The jack miner bird sanctuary in kingsville Ontario has a permanent population. 

See Jackminer.ca if interested

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Up early as I just couldn’t sleep any longer. Not sure what caused that. 

In other news we will be washing dishes by hand for a while as the cost of a new circuit board led us to make a decision to just buy a new dishwasher! New Dishwasher has to be shipped from a Lowe’s distribution center in Georgia. Hey, there’s always something and definitely not worthy of being put on the Care list!😁

Love today’s quote which at my age is truer then I care to believe!

Yesterday, we went to our local fish monger and bought a red snapper filet which we enjoyed last night for dinner. We saw that they really had some really nice sized live Blue Crabs so if they still have some we will enjoy a crab picking fest tonight. A benefit of living here is we get fresh seafood caught by locals from their trawler at reasonable prices. Their boat goes out just about every night so the catch is really fresh and so good. Tried out my new phone cam yesterday so a couple of pics that have nothing to with cruising but it’s a boat and it floats.

Thanks for the reports and contributions.

Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.d1691f7be7b6476d7f4405507d6cfd2c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1841a732ca8d6b82148269d5cbec4fad.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.64967a9bdaf98e4625c34cfd47ab2954.jpeg

Can you give me a hint where is this place. 

• Like 8

Good morning  to all. Thanks for the great recipes Tina, @0106.They all look hmm..

My parents were huge Giants fans and had quite a tradition  of tailgating for 40 years. DH began accompanying my mom after my father died to these games.The running joke  was that this was the reason for our marriage...hmmm.

@luvteaching, I  send my belated condolences  for the passing of your friend and fellow teacher.

@aliaschief  beautiful  pictures with your new phone.thanks

Terry

• Like 22

Good Morning All,

More heat today, but at the moment it is decent thanks to the clouds. 4 more days- we can do it!

@kazu We’ve had several flocks of Canada Geese that started living here some 10 years ago. They are with us year round now. Our Golden Retriever gets excited when he hears them coming. Boy can you hear them from a distance.

@XBGuy Are those turkey vultures? 

And now for Today’s Wine:

**************+

Dr. Loosen 2019 Red Slate Dry Riesling (Mosel)

Today’s white is from Mosel, Germany, and it appears the 2019 vintage has the higher ratings. It was currently unavailable on all the sites I checked, but the 2020 vintage is going for $19.99.

Winemaker Notes

Made from red slate estate vineyards found primarily in the south-facing stretch of river that encompasses the villages of Ürzig, Erden, Lösnich and Kinheim, this dry Riesling has an intense minerality that is warm and enveloping. It has floral, spicy, citrus blossom aromas and harmonious flavors with a full, expansive texture. Very expressive.

Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

Tasted as a sample in April 2020, the 2019 Riesling Trocken Rotschiefer (a.k.a. Red Slate Dry) is intense and concentrated yet pure and fresh on the intensely fruity and slatey but still yeasty nose. Medium-bodied, creamy textured and charming, it is round and clear on the elegant and juicy palate, with tropical flavors. And for the moment, it is still rich yet refined and elegant, with mouthwatering salinity on the finish.

Range: 90-91

Wine Enthusiast

Sunbaked slate and dusty earth tones introduce this spry, spice-tinged Riesling. Dry and focused yet not at all stern in style, it offsets its mineral intensity with pristine lemon and white peach flavors. A thirst-quenching, elegant wine that’s best now–2024.

Have a great day everyone!

C7CAC2C1-3A4D-4769-AE4F-742473AA5ADB.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Valparaiso, Florida in the Florida, Panhandle. Near Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Pensacola 50 miles West, Panama City 50 miles East.

Thanks. I grew up just north of there in South Alabama. I guess you know PC (Panama City) is called the Redneck Riviera. I can't imagine why.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Good morning from central Texas, where we don't know what the weather will do today.  Rain was predicted overnight and this morning, but it's a no show.  The skies are cloudy, but it is bright with the sun trying to make an appearance.

It's been years since we saw a movie in a theater.  All the ones around here and around Quartzsite have closed.  Tailgating has evolved since the first ones in the 1950s.  Now, many are elaborate cookouts.  The tallest building near us is maybe four stories.  We have been to the top of Taipei 101 and the Shanghai Tower, which in 2018, was  the second tallest building in the world with 128 floors.  DH just read that even though the Shanghai Tower is not the tallest building, it has the highest observation deck of any building on the 121st floor.

The Suzanne Collins quote, unfortunately, is true.

We might have the meal, but also without pesto.  We'll pass on the drink, but might try the wine.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope today goes better, and sorry about the mess with the deed and the POA.  I loved all the Canada geese mems.  There were a couple in a campground in the PNW that were a menace.  Our two dachshunds did not like them, and I'll admit, I let them chase the geese, but only when they were on a leash, and couldn't get too close.  Other types of geese can also be mean.  

@aliaschief  Bruce, sorry the dishwasher had to be replace.  I like the pictures from your new phone.

@cat shepard  Ann, when I said I thought they would feed you at the Princess lodge, I was not expecting a quick box lunch.

@luvteaching  Karen, our condolences to you, Wayne's Karen and family and all his friends on his passing.  

These are the pictures of Mindelo that I posted on May 3, 2021.

We have been to Mendillo twice, but not on a BHB.  In 2000, it was our next to last stop on the P&O world cruise on Oriana.  We rented a car and drove around the island, which is pretty dry and treeless, for the most part.  After three months of ports in the British Commonwealth, where DH drove on the wrong side of the road, I had to keep reminding him to get back on the proper side of the road.  Fortunately, there was not much traffic. We suspected the car we rented was the man's personal car.

The second visit was in 2009 on the Tahitian Princes.  That time we just walked around town.

Couple of markets.  As you can see, the fish market was not the cleanest, and there were a lot of flies, no ice and very, very fishy smelling.

IMG_7366.thumb.JPG.5c6e27f9972361204a4e12a7bdea2c27.JPG

IMG_7372.thumb.JPG.83284bcd3652a72d55a1f219775ec64e.JPG

IMG_7377.thumb.JPG.b08dbb3486b41308a53218b3af287f8c.JPG

A mix of street scenes from our two visits.

IMG_7368.thumb.JPG.7729f9105f2639acc96b6871c56acdd3.JPG

P3300745.thumb.JPG.85dfa2ab6b6d6ddfd50ddf0f318b155e.JPG

P3300744.thumb.JPG.7caa49af8d10819864b3a363f46447a8.JPG

P3300779.thumb.JPG.78132c3bc33c008c836f242a911528dd.JPG

A few pictures from around the island.

P3300756.thumb.JPG.bc510deca04435e106c65057949604d1.JPG

P3300758.thumb.JPG.bfc01074f89f228f44fde8bacc2c2426.JPG

P3300759.thumb.JPG.7b61bb3bb2d172c56e64f5eeb73cddab.JPG

P3300751.thumb.JPG.1725ebbd62ecafb4578b393add8ee189.JPG

One of the locals

P3300768.thumb.JPG.d7b2b5633281d40b7299e9349b4fca8b.JPG

The airport

P3300771.thumb.JPG.ef76376ecef55b79369ce104f6cc654e.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

It will be a pleasant 72 F here today.  Our early September is living up to its good reputation for weather.

Have never been to a tailgating party, and the nearest skyscrapers would be half an hour south in Seattle.  Thank you @0106for letting us know about the $3 cinema tickets for National Cinema Day.  I checked, and there's one movie I would take the time to see, "Where the Crawdads Sing".  I've heard good things about that movie and our theaters are honoring the $3 tickets.  Now I'll see if DH wants to go. Maybe a late afternoon movie and then take-out for dinner.

I'll pass on the drink, but the wine and meal both sound great.  Have never been to the port, and the quote is so true.  Our son has had a life-long deep hatred for all geese ever since he was about 3 years old.  He was out to a park with his aunt and one chased him.  Apparently he had to jump onto a picnic table to escape it 😞  

@luvteachingKaren my condolences on the loss of your good friend Wayne.

@aliaschiefBruce your new phone takes great photos.

• Like 21

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

I always enjoyed tailgating parties. Always a lot of fun. I dont go to the movies very often, everything seems to come out quickly on DVD, etc. No skyscrapers here.

We would enjoy todays meal, may tuck it away for cooler weather.

I did play golf this AM, only 9 holes. Didnt want to get tied up in the crazy traffic that is here for the launch and holiday weekend.

Sure hope it is a successful launch this afternoon. I have a few  neighbors that work on that program. Many jobs on the line.  We will be watching from the patio, the beach will be too crowded for us.

Enjoy the weekend

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

2 hours ago, superoma said:

we have a population here in Essex county that never leaves. The jack miner bird sanctuary in kingsville Ontario has a permanent population. 

See Jackminer.ca if interested

thanks on the elaboration of the rules.  And here I thought those blasted things were protected.

We have 2 - 4 that don’t leave here too.  there is a little pond  and they swim in it enough to keep it from icing up.  Not sure how they stay warm but I know the people next to the pond feed them.

One bad year, they were forced to leave and fly in February - that must have been rough.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@kazu We’ve had several flocks of Canada Geese that started living here some 10 years ago. They are with us year round now. Our Golden Retriever gets excited when he hears them coming. Boy can you hear them from a distance.

Poor you 😉 They really are very noisy.

@luvteaching forgive my belated condolences.  Prayers for you, Karen and all of Wayne’s family.  🙏🏻 May he rest in peace 🙏🏻 

• Like 15

27 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Update:

Launch is scrubbed again!     Dont know yet of next attempt.   

Upsetting but safety first is their motto I'm sure.

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Dinner tonight.

G.

IMG_20220903_162226.jpg

IMG_20220903_162306.jpg

Mmmm!  Looks so good!  I love pizza.🍕

9 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Monday

Thanks for the information.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Where the Crawdads Sing".  I've heard good things about that movie and our theaters are honoring the $3 tickets. 

The book was fantastic. Let us know if the movie was good.

• Like 9