Paxlovid onboard

jules71

8 hours ago, nimbex1970 said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-paxlovid-rebound-and-how-common-is-it/

You still need a script.  Based upon availability and home port of the ship, it might not be available, seems to be a crap shoot.  Getting medical advice from people on a cruising site is always a bad idea. 

Yes, as I said, a provider will need to write a script. What is new though is that you don't need to test positive first. You can board a ship healthy, contract it onboard, use a home test if you are symptomatic, and start your course of Paxlovid. 

I've taken it twice myself and know many others who have successfully taken it. The ability to take it with you before becoming infected may permit some people to cruise who otherwise may have shied away. If you aren't interested, don't take it. As I also said, talk to your provider. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

Yes, as I said, a provider will need to write a script. What is new though is that you don't need to test positive first. You can board a ship healthy, contract it onboard, use a home test if you are symptomatic, and start your course of Paxlovid. 

I've taken it twice myself and know many others who have successfully taken it. The ability to take it with you before becoming infected may permit some people to cruise who otherwise may have shied away. If you aren't interested, don't take it. As I also said, talk to your provider. 

So wander around the ship with Covid is your advice?

22 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

"You can board a ship healthy, contract it onboard, use a home test if you are symptomatic, and start your course of Paxlovid. "

No mention of quarantine or contacting ship doc. So you implied it.

No, you inferred it.  You're just trying to stir the pot.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Seems the cruise industry is back to pre pandemic business and Covid is an after thought now. That doesn’t mean it’s gone but if they push the hysteria of Covid they would have to under sell the ships and keep quarantine protocols (whatever that would be now). They are trying to get every room filled to make sure no dollar is left in our pockets on the way out. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:00 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

it wasn’t easy to fire any government worker where we worked. I know, I was in the process of trying to fire one of my employees and it was so hard and required so much work and time for me I almost gave up. But I retired mid process and she finally quit.

I'm a Fed and, after the initial "probationary period" expires, it is virtually impossible for us to fire employees except under extenuating circumstances (willful disregard, falsification of hours, etc.) because the union steps in and blocks the action.   I work with folks who have NO business collecting a federal paycheck.  

Oh, well.   Our tax dollars at "work."  

On 9/5/2022 at 3:43 PM, Bushdog said:

I do not minimize the novel coronavirus and its risks. I am fully vaxxed and boosted as is my family.

As someone who has cruised only 10-12 times in my life, I'm 100% sure, confirmed 1 person died on a cruise I was on. And I'm about 85-90% sure on another cruise I had a fatality. People get sick, especially older people with underlying conditions. Older people seem to die on cruises sometimes (younger people more rarely). And it makes sense if lots of people congregate in an a place that over a period of time, some people die.

Yep, it happens.  A child drowned in the midships pool on a cruise just prior to our boarding, which was (rightly) delayed.   Sadly, cruise ships have a morgue onboard for a reason.  

On 9/5/2022 at 3:43 PM, Bushdog said:

I have fairly limited expectations for medical care aboard the ship whatever the illness. This sort of comes with the territory. A low, but never 0 risk.

On my just-finished cruise on the Freedom, the charter organizer told us that a passenger "was on life-support" and we were diverting to sail within the 12-mile limit so they could be taken off by fast rescue boat and back to Miami.   (It affected music performances on the pool-deck, which is why we were told.)   The ship's medical facility can do a LOT (including, maybe, put someone "on life support"), but there are times when a boat evac or a helicopter evac is necessary.  

Another argument to ALWAYS purchase trip insurance, even if it just covers medical evac.  

Edited by Pellaz
  • Like 1

When I had Covid this past December, my doctor immediately prescribed Paxlovid. My severe flu-like symptoms went away completely within 48 hours. I continued to isolate as recommended. The risk factors for Covid co-morbidity are not all immediately-life-threatening-you-should-never-cruise-again conditions. Asthma, age over 50, BMI over 30, etc .... MAAAAANNNNY cruisers fall into one or more of these categories.

Before my next cruise (a 9-day in August), I'm going to see if my doc will prescribe me Paxlovid to take along, just in case. If I test positive at any point, I'll be able to take care of myself. And, if my isolation period ends while I'm still onboard, I know I'll feel well enough to enjoy what's left of my vacation.

• Like 3

When I had covid in December, my severe flu like symptoms went away in less than 48 hours and I didn’t fill the Paxlovid script my doctor gave me.  I did take Ibuprofen to cut into the fever and body aches.  

My doctor was not very positive about taking it, so I skipped it.  I am not young 64, reasonably good health with controlled high blood pressure.  

JC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

At this point I think everyone has enough information to make their own decisions. We all have personal experiences with Covid - do what you feel will help you. 

I don't. Haven't caught it yet. We are cruising 2 weeks in March, and it is probably sort of inevitable. 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:45 PM, Coralc said:

I don't. Haven't caught it yet. We are cruising 2 weeks in March, and it is probably sort of inevitable. 

Positive thoughts. I got it for the second time after a summer cruise - but all was well. 

• Thanks 1