Just got off the Oosterdam in Venice and my wife had Covid on the cruise, it has become a nightmare

terrydtx

6 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have her card and name, when we get home, I will be letting HAL know about our experience and the person from guest services who made that suggestion. When I asked for her card she was reluctant at first but I insisted. But since HAL will not cover my expenses, this seems to be their policy of only covering the covid person band not their traveling companions. My wife gets up to $100 per day room service compensation, but again I get nothing. Food in this hotel is not cheap and there are not any restaurants close to walking distance.

I am so glad that you got the name and card of the person in guest services. 

HAL needs to hear your entire experience and what she said to you.  She needs to be fired immediately.

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I agree 100% and there are 6 others here is the hotel that I have talked to, and they all had nothing worse than a mild cold but reported being sick to the ships medical. We were all vaccinated and boosted at least once which may be why they and my wife never got very sick. I fully believe that the cruise industry should never drop any vaccination and booster requirements to get on a cruise ship, our experience has shown that to still be needed.

Sorry if I missed it...but why did you test?

Just finished a cruise on Eurodam. There was no self service in the buffet.

Have done 6 cruises this year. The most recent prior to this cruise was over July 4th.

With the announcements of cruise lines dropping testing and vaccination requirements there was a noticeable change in behavior on board. When people developed symptoms, and quite a few did, they continued to act as if nothing was wrong  and cough and sneeze all around the ship. Tested positive the day after getting off ship.

Just a question….not insinuating you did anything on your part to catch the virus. 

Just wondering Why is Hal responsible for your room and board after you catch COVID and leave the ship? They are not able to make you take precautions on board or while on excursions or wear a mask. Why do we think they are responsible for our bills in quarantine? 

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Just to follow up, my wife just got a call from someone who said she will be tested here tomorrow, this was only because my TA got all over HAL for not setting anything up for us. One more reason to use an independent TA as I got nowhere yesterday with HAL directly.

One thing to add, with all the suspected Covid cases on the ship the Lido was a joke, too many self-serve stations with zero sanitation of the serving utensils. I saw one guy who was coughing all over the place get bread with the tong and I know he coughed all over the bread. That was the last time I dined in the Lido. The so called Covid precautions done by HAL was a total joke. There was no one at the entrance to the Lido making passengers use the hand sanitizers as well. I saw way too many bypass the hand sanitizers.

I am so sorry for your experience.  The threat of being separated from DH during quarantine, particularly after disembarkation and having to pay unnecessarily for a second hotel room, is sufficient for me to avoid cruising unless HAL changes their protocols and the ports change their rule of requiring quarantine within their country.  Unfortunately, I don't see cruising in my immediate future, although we have a VOV and a '24 WC booked.  We can still hope.  

2 hours ago, albingirl said:

I am so sorry you are going through this nightmare.  I too, fear that other passengers will decline to report covid if they contact it onboard.  Especially after reading about it here.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. If you don't test for Covid then it doesn't really exist, does it?

• Like 1

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you have gone through.  I appreciate your post, it is helpful.  When the CDC dropped the Covid measures, I was past final payment for a cruise, and opted to cancel with penalty (even though the requirements were dropped, Covid is still around, and quarantine measures still exist).

Which cruise line is not important, my grain of salt is that the industry adjusted it’s requirements from a business standpoint.  I will share my experience, I asked many questions before canceling.  What I learned helped me in my decision.  The cruise line has no responsibility once you are off the ship.  Your insurance is key.

I hope your wife feels better soon, and that the insurance claim will go smoothly.

• Like 1

I am sorry you are dealing with this.

I agree with those who say handle your own situation with maturity and responsibility if possible.  Relying on a bureaucracy never works out well for the end user.   

I am on the Alaska Cruise tour and have HAL administered tests.  We were told to be prepared to pay for all quarantine services then file with HAL for reimbursement.  I think this is your best course of action 

45 minutes ago, riverrat said:

ust a question….not insinuating you did anything on your part to catch the virus. 

Just wondering Why is Hal responsible for your room and board after you catch COVID and leave the ship?

Because we were told by HAL guest services while on the ship that HAL would cover all quarantine costs after we got off and taken to the local hotel. After we got off the ship and were being put in a van to go to the hotel, the same guest services person told us they were only covering the costs for my wife and that any of my expenses would have to be filed with my travel insurance. We were lied to by the ship's doctor and guest services about what was going to happen once we got off the ship, I think just to get us off. My wife caught Covid on the ship and we were told nothing but lies by the Oosterdam staff, bottom line.

Edited by terrydtx

What a disaster!  I am so sorry for your experience.  Every time we cruise, I figure it's a roll of the dice.  Now, with the lack of rules regarding masking,  I'm not sure what we would do.  We will take some tests with us,  perhaps do our own testing if we feel under the weather., and then decide what to do.  I was looking at the HAL policy for Covid cases and although it changes on a regular basis, I think you should be able to make some sort of claim for your own expenses.  Here is what I see

"Shoreside:

1. Reimbursement of expenses for COVID-related care including during any required shoreside quarantine period for guests and their immediate travel party if any such guest(s) test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise. This includes reasonable hotel expense and air change fees in the case onward travel plans need to change.

2. Any shoreside meals will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by a letter provided onboard prior to disembarkation. (no receipt retention is required).

a. This program is not intended to replace insurance or travel protection there are many non-COVID related reasons for travel protection plans.
b. Insurance may allow for refunds in some cases otherwise covered by FCC only.
c. Insurance coverage is subject to the applicable policy.

General:

1. Due to restrictions at some ports, it may be required that guests who have tested positive and their close contacts disembark and continue isolation ashore instead of on the ship. If you’re required to disembark the ship, we’ll work with the local port authorities to secure the most appropriate accommodation for your period of isolation. In some instances, local authorities require isolation take place at a specific hotel, pre-approved to accommodate positive cases of COVID-19. These hotels could be 2-3 star properties and upgrades are beyond our control.

2. All elements of the Covid-19 Plan are excess over any valid and collectible insurance.  Guests will be reimbursed for reasonable expenses, as defined below, incurred but not covered by their insurance meaning that the guest must file a claim with their primary insurer, and submit any excluded or uncovered expense.

3. This program shall not be applicable to a guest or any member(s) of their immediate travel party if such individual makes any false statements to the cruise line as to such individual’s COVID-19 vaccination status. The cruise line reserves the right to revoke any of the goodwill benefits provided in this program in the event of discovery of such false statements.

4. This program is not intended to provide long-term care for issues arising from COVID-19 and there will be no reimbursement of any expenses incurred after guest is medically cleared to travel home.

This plan is also designed assist guests who, as a result of governmental travel restrictions put in place within 30 days of embarkation, cannot travel to the country of embarkation for their booked cruise. "

That first #1 says they will reimburse expenses incurred for the Covid person and "their immediate travel party" - that would be you, right?  I would argue that you should be able to make a claim with them.  You may not be "required" to quarantine yourself, but your wife "requires" you be with her!

• Like 1

This is EXACTLY why we are not cruising, not shopping for cruises, or planning to cruise until at least next year.  Nothing to do with any specific cruise line.

Our decision has nothing to do with cost.  It has more to do with not wanting to be on a crowded ship  especially during meal times, not wanting to be quarantined in a ships cabin,  and wanting to be in control of our own travel options.   

Cruise lines are focused on revenue.  We believe our health is further down on their list of priorties.

We have been travelling internationally and will be doing so again in November.   More than likely for our winter snowbird trip. Independent land trips.  In past years we might combine this travel with cruises.   For us, cruising is not the only game in town.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I am so sorry your vacation was wrecked by Covid. Two couples, our closest friends, had similar experiences on two different non-HAL cruise lines. I had symptoms the morning we disembarked Celebrity in April (in TPA, luckily for us a short drive from our home), and subsequently tested positive. It seems to be the times we live in as travelers.

I wish you and your wife well as you hopefully get home without too much more stress. 

But I do fear that if passengers take your advice to make their own decision whether to report suspected Covid, cases surely will continue to grow on board.

I would hope that people would be honest and report it and it makes you wonder if that is what is going on now....people not wanting to ruin their vacation but don't care about others!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So sorry this happened to you. We are just off the Zuiderdam and while it was a great cruise, we were shocked that the Lido was self serve for many items. It was our first HAL cruise since Covid, but I remember previously that the Lido beverages were not self serve for the first 24 hours, with crew serving us only (to prevent norovirus). I also remember being constantly assaulted with hand sanitizer when entering the Lido and restaurants pre-Covid.  This cruise -nothing! Lido was wide open, we were never asked to sanitize, and finger lickers were out in full force! Avoided lido after the first day. 
This latest varient is the most contagious yet. We finally caught it after 2 1/2 years about a month before our cruise luckily. We’re still not sure how. I hope your wife is feeling better and that you stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I would hope that people would be honest and report it and it makes you wonder if that is what is going on now....people not wanting to ruin their vacation but don't care about others!

We are all grownups here.  We can quarantine ourselves as well as any bureaucracy.   I see plenty of mask wearing folks in the restroom swishing their hands under water and calling it clean. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This whole thread is so depressing. People licking their fingers, unsanitary Lido conditions, people coughing and not washing their hands and so on. Quarantine in a foreign country is the worst.  It's a dreary situation. I miss the old smoking threads. Now, those were a hoot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverrat said:

Just a question….not insinuating you did anything on your part to catch the virus. 

Just wondering Why is Hal responsible for your room and board after you catch COVID and leave the ship? They are not able to make you take precautions on board or while on excursions or wear a mask. Why do we think they are responsible for our bills in quarantine? 

How about because HAL said that they would, in print, as part of their policies since the restart.

I am wondering how it could be determined that the Covid was picked up on the HAL cruise. Is it possible that it could have been on the cruise you just took prior to boarding HAL? Is it possible you could have been an asymptomatic carrier? What about the shore excursions you may have taken? Or the transfer from one ship to the other? Should HAL be completely at fault for this?

Edited by cruisetravlr
Spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

No excursions, tours, going ashore then??

All of our excursions were on private tours with the 4 of us, traveling together. We also used private transport to Trieste from Venice all to reduce our exposure to Covid.  I believe that the cruise ship was the most likely place we got Covid.

46 minutes ago, ldtr said:

How about because HAL said that they would, in print, as part of their policies since the restart.

We have discussed this before.  HAL has said from the beginning that these policies are in a state of flux.  They can become more or less restrictive.  If you want to sail you need to fully acknowledge that reality. I had three tests in the past week because that was the protocol.  I don’t like it but I accepted it even though it was not the protocol when I paid for my cruise. 

12 minutes ago, cruisetravlr said:

I am wondering how it could be determined that the Covid was picked up on the HAL cruise. Is it possible that it could have been on the cruise you just took prior to boarding HAL? Is it possible you could have been an asymptotic carrier? What about the shore excursions you may have taken? Or the transfer from one ship to the other? Should HAL be completely at fault for this?

We had 6 days between cruises in Florence and Venice.  We tested in Venice the day before we boarded the Oosterdam, all negative. My wife got sick on day 10 or 11 of the 14-day HAL cruise, so most likely we got Covid on the ship.  I heard that over 100 people had covid on the ship and we only had 1100 passengers, so close to 10% got covid. That doesn't account for the many other coughing passengers who probably never reported symptoms to medical like we did. All of the Covid isolation cabins on Deck 4 and 6 were full of Covid positive passengers. I would guess there were many more covid positive passengers who never reported to medical their symptoms.  So, I would guess that the chances we got Covid on the ship is over 90%. Stop defending HAL, they did very little to mitigate covid while onboard they were negligent in their efforts to sanitize the ship and the Lido self-serve venues and tables.  I never once saw any crew members wipe down and sanitize tables in the Lido between passengers using them. HAL is guilty of total covid malfeasance, in my opinion.

Edited by terrydtx

We just got a text message from a very helpful emergency customer service rep in Seattle who my TA got in touch with last night and my wife will be tested tomorrow between 2 and 3 pm. This has been the ONLY customer service rep who could help us, and it took my TA to find her. She had no idea that there were other stranded passengers in our hotel all in limbo. This is the first positive from HAL during this whole situation and it took my TA to get it done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cruisetravlr said:

I am wondering how it could be determined that the Covid was picked up on the HAL cruise. Is it possible that it could have been on the cruise you just took prior to boarding HAL? Is it possible you could have been an asymptomatic carrier? What about the shore excursions you may have taken? Or the transfer from one ship to the other? Should HAL be completely at fault for this?

It doesn't matter if a guest catches COVID onboard or offboard.  It's not a fault issue so much as a contract issue.  If the COVID coverage is specified as a cruise line responsibility in your cruise contract, then it's the cruise line's responsibility.

HAL may have some legal wiggle room regarding the non-COVID hotel room's cost though.  They could say the OP had the option to stay in the same room as his COVID-positive wife and, in choosing (smartly likely) to stay in a separate hotel room, chose to lodge at his own expense.  If HAL does still stick him with the 2nd room and room service bills, hopefully his insurance will cover those costs.

Edited by AFNavigator

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

This whole thread is so depressing. People licking their fingers, unsanitary Lido conditions, people coughing and not washing their hands and so on. Quarantine in a foreign country is the worst.  It's a dreary situation. I miss the old smoking threads. Now, those were a hoot.

You would be proud😉.  I just stared down two grabbers in the lido forcing them to change their minds about touching the food .  Hands are dirty implements 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2