Gluten Free on Grand Princess

Woosgirl

We’re booked for the May 6th, 2023 Grand Princess sailing in Alaska. I’m curious if anyone has taken a cruise on the Grand Princess while maintaining a gluten free diet.  Were there plenty of options, or did you have a hard time finding food to eat? Any help would be much appreciated.

For your Gluten Free diet:

1.  Connect with your Assistant Manager (aka Head Waiter) on the first day.  He will bring you a menu every evening to take your orders for the next day.  He will be able to recommend items AND steer you clear of things you can not eat.

2.  I have seen Gluten Free Muffins at a waiter's station.  They always looked so good.  One day, I ordered one.  They look much better than it tasted (my opinion only).  Just wanted you to know that you are able to order these for breakfast in the MDR.  

DW has celiac and therefore must be gluten-free, it's not a choice. While we haven't been on the Grand, we have sailed quite a few Princess ships and have navigated the gluten-free landscape.

cr8tiv1 is correct regarding the MDR. They are quite good at taking care of you. Most dishes they serve can be made GF as long as they have the day's notice. If they can't, the HW will offer you an alternative. BTW, you will get to know the HW pretty well, it's fun!

DW's experience with their bread is so-so. It's hard to make a good GF bread but muffins and such can be made to taste good,

Buffet dining works a little different. Head into the buffet and ask for the "Chef du Parti" (or something like that). He or she will take you around and show you what's OK and what isn't. They're very good about this.

If you like french fries, you have a treat coming at the on-deck grill. The fryer there is dedicated only to french fries, nothing else goes into that oil to contaminate it. Of course things can change so always double check. That's the place to get your fries. Don't trust Room Service in that regard (my opinion).

You probably already know, if they aren't sure, run!

I have celiac and have cruised on the Grand a couple times as well as other Princess ships.  Princess does a great job with special need diets.  Be sure to put your dietary needs in the Medallion so Princess knows before you sail.

Ditto on meeting with the assistant restaurant manager on the first night/day in the MDR.  You will be assigned a “food guide!”  (My name for the person).  That individual will work with you to ensure you have safe food.  Princess has a dedicated kitchen area so little if any cross contamination.  They can make you anything you want gf.  My food guide would surprise me with a special dessert!  My food guide also worked with the specialty restaurants to adapt meals.  We tend to eat only at the MDR/specialty because the food is good and safe.

At the buffet, ask to speak with a chef to get a tour of gf items.   But, stay vigilant—many times I’ve stopped staff from putting gluten items in/on my plate!  I ask for clean utensils and gloves as well.  Princess also has a pretty good selection of pastries and treats at the IC.  

The bread on Princess is horrible—I bring my own as well as hamburger buns and make my own sandwiches.  YMMV but I do not eat the fries at the poolside grill.  Even though they may not deep fry anything thing gluten, there is a lot of cross contamination going on—utensils, gloves, etc.  I don’t risk it.

Stay away from the soft serve ice cream—not always gf.  Also, be careful with drink mixes and alcohol.  Not all vodka is gf—I ask to have drinks made with Tito’s.

Thank you all for your replies.  My diet is actually even more restricted than gluten free, but at the minimum I need to at least avoid gluten. I will definitely follow your advice! If nothing else, as long as they have fruits and veggies, I should be ok!  ☺️

1 hour ago, Woosgirl said:

Thank you all for your replies.  My diet is actually even more restricted than gluten free, but at the minimum I need to at least avoid gluten. I will definitely follow your advice! If nothing else, as long as they have fruits and veggies, I should be ok!  ☺️

Let them know how restricted your diet is and they will accommodate you!  In addition to celiac, I can't have dairy.  Lots of options still and good food!

On 9/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, disneyochem said:

I have celiac and have cruised on the Grand a couple times as well as other Princess ships.  Princess does a great job with special need diets.  Be sure to put your dietary needs in the Medallion so Princess knows before you sail.

Ditto on meeting with the assistant restaurant manager on the first night/day in the MDR.  You will be assigned a “food guide!”  (My name for the person).  That individual will work with you to ensure you have safe food.  Princess has a dedicated kitchen area so little if any cross contamination.  They can make you anything you want gf.  My food guide would surprise me with a special dessert!  My food guide also worked with the specialty restaurants to adapt meals.  We tend to eat only at the MDR/specialty because the food is good and safe.

At the buffet, ask to speak with a chef to get a tour of gf items.   But, stay vigilant—many times I’ve stopped staff from putting gluten items in/on my plate!  I ask for clean utensils and gloves as well.  Princess also has a pretty good selection of pastries and treats at the IC.  

The bread on Princess is horrible—I bring my own as well as hamburger buns and make my own sandwiches.  YMMV but I do not eat the fries at the poolside grill.  Even though they may not deep fry anything thing gluten, there is a lot of cross contamination going on—utensils, gloves, etc.  I don’t risk it.

Stay away from the soft serve ice cream—not always gf.  Also, be careful with drink mixes and alcohol.  Not all vodka is gf—I ask to have drinks made with Tito’s.

From my experience at poolside grill on Regal and Caribbean Princess I found them very sensitive to my needing to be gluten free.   I hand them my GF roll and they place it in a separate area on paper, change gloves, obtain new knife etc.   I am sure that there could be some less than attentive staff but I watch closely and have not had an issue.   Glad to know I am not the only one who brings their own rolls on board (as well as some GF cookies )

I am Coeliac, you say Celiac. Another thing you need to be wary of is the liquid egg mix they use to make omelets at the buffet and probably scrambled eggs in the galley. I have asked to see the carton of liquid egg at the omelet station in Buffet, sure enough wheat as thickener, depending on the brand.  Wheat has gluten, so if you are super sensitive my advice is to avoid it.

Edited by NSWP

On 9/6/2022 at 2:09 PM, Woosgirl said:

whatever your restrictions are all you have to do is discuss it w them and they will do their best to handle it.  Ships are usually very good at dealing  w special diets.

DON

• Like 1

OK it's not your cruise on the Grand Princess but if you ever find yourself in Palermo on the island of Sicily, there's a fabulous store dedicated to gluten-free goods. Don't remember the name but it's a short walk from where the ship docks. I'm sure Google will help too. We found it by accident. DW was sooooo happy!

Edit: Found it!

image.png.acef2ecb333c1a80f36aa1973c0db402.pngIMG_3374.thumb.JPG.6b3034c86acf666eae39b209118438d6.JPG

Edited by beg3yrs
corrected name of ship
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 2:06 PM, disneyochem said:

IO was diagnosed celiac during the long Covid winter. I agree with most things said here and over all, princess does a great job.   I was told that the soft serve ice cream was safe and I have not had any problem with it .  If you are going to eat in the MDR, best to go to,the same one every night.   Speciality dinning are no problem.   Actually, many more safe choices in the buffet( at least on the Royal class ships)-just be sure to get a “tall white hat”. To guide you.   After a few days, it all becomes second nature. 

• Like 1

Easy.  To keep it simple my granddaughter who has all sorts of food restrictions printed it out and hands it to managers at restaurants.  That way there is absolutely no misunderstanding.  She had no problems on any ship.

Any FWIW I tried the gluten free muffins - guess you could get used to them.  The pizza on the other hand was OK.  

• Like 1

we have different food issues than yours, but still need to be very careful, almost always have had very good success with the rest manager (some superb) but do not be afraid to ask for more help or the head of restaurant operations (used to be maitre d') if there are problems...we always book same time same place so that the waiters also know & watch out for us &we don't have to keep sharing the "list" with new people.

You can look at the menu for specialty dining ahead of time & if there is something you would really like, you might consider asking the day before if it could be made with your restrictions in mind.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, pedirn said:

From my experience at poolside grill on Regal and Caribbean Princess I found them very sensitive to my needing to be gluten free.   I hand them my GF roll and they place it in a separate area on paper, change gloves, obtain new knife etc.   I am sure that there could be some less than attentive staff but I watch closely and have not had an issue.   Glad to know I am not the only one who brings their own rolls on board (as well as some GF cookies )

This is the same as I have experienced.  I always take my own rolls and cookies when we cruise.   The same old bread toasted every meal gets old.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:46 PM, Woosgirl said:

I never even thought of bringing my own bread.  *mind blown*. Haha. I usually bring tons of snacks for just in case moments, but not actual food. I might have to try that!

I bring gf hamburger buns, muffins (Trader Joe’s), tortilla chips, crackers, and oatmeal on a Princess cruise.  It’s not my preference to bring food on a cruise, but these items are the items that I’ve found Princess does not have that are gluten free.  On the Enchanted in October, the chips available with the guac (both in the buffet and room service) were fried flour tortillas!  

9 hours ago, Woosgirl said:

Looks like we’ll be on Ruby princess instead of Grand now. Thinking of making reservations ar Sabatini’s for Mother’s Day. Does anyone know if they have any gluten free options?

I’ve eaten at Sabatini’s on the Ruby a couple times.  I preordered my meal so the staff at the restaurant knew about my dietary issues and were able to have a special gf dessert for me.  Princess only has one type of gluten free pasta on board (spaghetti) so if you order a pasta dish, it will be the gf spaghetti with the sauce you want.

• Like 1

This is great. I already had planned on talking to the MDR head waiter and chef at the buffet.  But I didn’t want to plan on a special mothers day dinner and have it shot down.  Definitely getting the gluten free chocolate cake for our room for after dinner on another night. Thank you everyone for your responses and advice.I’ll be bringing some chips, muffins and snacks with me so I don’t feel so deprived. I don’t eat bread, even gf, most days, so that won’t bother me in the least.

• 1 year later...

We will be on our first Princess cruise next Sept.  our oldest daughter requires gluten-free free diet. For past cruises I have always sent in an email to Special Requests Dept about 2-3 months in advance of cruise.  Then once onboard the 1 afternoon I seek out the mailer d to verify everything.  We then get menu selections ahead of time.  We’ll be on Island Princesss.  Is it the same process for Princess?  Are their assigned tables?  Makes it easier for same wait staff each night.