BEWARE! NCL PRIMA SLIDES OBSTRUCTING BALCONY VIEWS INCLUDING HAVEN ROOMS!

dhjson

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I had an unfortunate experience speaking to NCL regarding an obstructed balcony view in our Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa that we were never made aware of for an upcoming cruise on the Prima in November. When speaking to NCL, it appeared that I was the first person to come across this issue, so I thought it would be helpful and worthwhile to share the information with my fellow cruisers on this site. Just some background- my family and I are Platinum latitudes members and have sailed on NCL for decades now and had great experiences on prior sailings. This vacation is our first family vacation since before Covid, and 3 of 5 members of our family are front-line healthcare workers (RN, PA, and Physician); therefore, we decided to really splurge and treat ourselves, so we upgraded to the Haven on this brand new ship. We were so excited in anticipation of our vacation, so much so that we decided to take a look at the deck plans of the ship to explore what there is to do on this brand new ship. When looking at the deck plan for the 14th floor where our stateroom is located (the stateroom assigned to us by our personal cruise consultant when we booked), Stateroom 14900, we noticed that it looked like the two slides were coming directly in front of not only our balcony, but two balconies ahead of us. We found this to be odd because we had looked at earlier deck plans for the ship and did not see any indication that the slides would be obstructing the view of our balcony. I took it upon myself to do some further research and, thanks to this wonderful website, saw there was a similar topic already started regarding these slides potentially blocking some of the balconies on the ship. A picture was posted (I'll insert the picture down below) showing that the slide not only obstructs views of many of the balconies, but actually enters some of the balconies! We found our balcony on the photo and it appears the slide is so close we could actually reach out over our balcony and touch the slide. I would really love to know who in NCL thought this would be a great idea..but that's besides the point.

We decided to give NCL a call just to verify that what we were looking at was in fact correct since on some ships they make the customer aware when booking if the balcony view is obstructed. Not only that, we now have two conflicting deck plans where one plan has the slide in view and another does not (I will also post the photos of the deck plans down below). When we got on the phone with a customer service representative, we got many conflicting answers from this one representative including "the deck plan I'm looking at does not show the slide," "Oh yes I see the deck plan you're looking at but the slide is below you," and finally "It does seem that the slide is obstructing your view, let me transfer you." After being placed on hold and transferred many times, we finally were connected to a supervisor, Theresa. When we told her about our issue, how much money we had spent on this vacation, and how we really enjoy using our balcony and think it is wrong that customers were never informed of these plastic monstrosities obstructing their views, she basically said to us "Sorry, there's nothing we can do" and actually had the audacity to hang up on us. Never have I experienced this customer service from NCL before; I was truly appalled and find this whole situation totally unacceptable. What makes the whole thing even worse is that NCL seems to show no remorse and takes no responsibility for this oversight. It seems like they are trying to hide these obstructed views from us; but I'm certain we will not be the last complaining customer in regards to this.  I hope you find this helpful because I don't want anyone to be blindsided about these obstructed views like we were! Also- any tips for helping us resolve this situation would be extremely helpful!!

137D04D3-F29C-4A9D-A7A3-92D8D3CAE6E0(1).jpeg

22161954d84d785.gif

deck14-2022e.webp

The only tip I can offer is it possible to change cabin location?

We had very similar experience.  

I had booked 14790, Family suite last year for Prima.

At the time of the booking, there were no slides.

Deck plan did not show slide or an accurate descriptor of balcony(balconies).

Booked with TA and he had no clue either at the time.

In all of the promotional materials, pictures of the ship had no slides on the slides of the ship.

a couple of weeks later,  someone posted pics , ON CC, from shipyard with slides clearly on the sides.

New NCL promotional materials  were touting the "amazing slides" that will be onboard .

Could not believe the slide was going right through our balcony!  Pretty sure they are not listed as "Obstructed balconies/views".

Quickly, changed and decided to upgrade.

Haven 2 bedroom, booked as far away from slides as I could.

We now have 14916.

Also posted on our RollCall the warning of addition of slides.

One member had balcony cabin right next to slide and was able to change.

I think NCL will not be very accommodating as Prima has been a big seller and booked up quickly.

Edited by phissy

Slides had been a topic of discussion in the "Everything..." thread on this build for quite a while, before they were installed even, and I think even before bookings opened.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the deck plans from a 3rd-party website when it comes to a new-build ship.  I get that you were trying to get as much info as possible, but until it's completed or NCL has actually posted the final deck plans anything else is a guess.

• Like 3

I was trying to find the pic of ship worker eating lunch out on a balcony with slides.

I am sure it is somewhere on Everything Prima thread.

The slide tube is going right through the middle of the balcony.  I can just imagine the noise during the day.

@dhjson first, a huge thank you to your family members who are frontline healthcare workers.  I cannot imagine what these past 2+ years have been like for them. 

The issue with your suite is horrible, and I hope something can be worked out. You mention that you have a PCC, but don’t mention dealing with them about this problem.  Have you not reached out directly to them?  If not, I suggest doing so.   

Also, when you say your PCC “assigned you” this cabin, what do you mean? Did you have a discussion about other cabins or did the PCC literally pick the suite for you?  Do you know whether there were other suites available in the same category? 

If your PCC can’t get this worked out, I would go up the chain in corporate. They should not be selling this suite without disclosing the obstructed balcony. 

Good luck, and please tell us what happens. 

• Like 1

The deck plans for the Prima are available on the NCL now. We are sailing on the TA this month and our original balcony was close to the slides which certainly blocked our view from the balcony to the left. It was also on the 10th floor above the infinity pool on the 8th deck. I had not considered pool areas on the 8th deck when choosing our cabin. I don’t think it will be warm enough for the pool to be packed but I wouldn’t choose a cabin in that position had I known when booking. There wasn’t much info or choice when we booked back in early 2021. 
I called NCL last week and was moved to a different balcony ( same category) without issue we are now on the 15 deck forward. I assume there are no other 2 bedroom Haven suite to move you too. 

I think we all have the right to be informed of the obstructed views before we pick our rooms. 
I do hope a solution can be found and maybe its worth calling again and asking for a resolution as you say its a lot of money not to be happy with your suite. 

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yikes.

yeah, those "inside corner" balcony rooms look like they're going to be for people on my kind of budget.  They're not going to be popular, that's for sure.  14792 and 14192 with those tiny balconies with the predominant view facing aft...

12 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@dhjson first, a huge thank you to your family members who are frontline healthcare workers.  I cannot imagine what these past 2+ years have been like for them. 

The issue with your suite is horrible, and I hope something can be worked out. You mention that you have a PCC, but don’t mention dealing with them about this problem.  Have you not reached out directly to them?  If not, I suggest doing so.   

Also, when you say your PCC “assigned you” this cabin, what do you mean? Did you have a discussion about other cabins or did the PCC literally pick the suite for you?  Do you know whether there were other suites available in the same category? 

If your PCC can’t get this worked out, I would go up the chain in corporate. They should not be selling this suite without disclosing the obstructed balcony. 

Good luck, and please tell us what happens. 

We tried to call our cruise consultant today but assume she’s off for the holiday- don’t worry we’ll be trying her again tomorrow 🤣. This is an ongoing saga but I thought we would get the ball rolling on it now so that nobody else runs into this problem. When we booked through our consultant, she selected this cabin for us given we already knew we wanted a 2 bedroom Haven suite and back then the deck plans did not have the slides on them so we thought we were in the clear. Given we don’t have much time with work to read through the long threads on here we clearly missed the everything prima topic talking about the slides- boy do I regret that now! We will provide updates don’t worry!

Here is another link to a website that shows photos taken on board the Prima at the beginning of last month - including several photos of the waterslides going "through" stateroom balconies:

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/norwegian-prima-photos-first-look/

Here is one of the photos from that website, and I would NOT be very happy if that was MY balcony it was going through....

image.thumb.jpeg.7facabfe23953884777daede7bc557ed.jpeg

Edited by TrumpyNor

2 minutes ago, ppcox said:

There wasn’t much info or choice when we booked back in early 2021

3 minutes ago, ppcox said:

I think we all have the right to be informed of the obstructed views before we pick our rooms.

That's a risk you take when booking a brand new ship in a new class before it's even completed.  You were fortunate that you could shift your room.

• Like 6

Hmmm, a haven suite with essentially the plumbing of a human toilet routed through the balconies serenity with screaming kids being flushed down it all day long? Yeh, Unacceptable. Kinda defeats the concept of “haven”. No way. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Av8torcrj said:

Hmmm, a haven suite with essentially the plumbing of a human toilet routed through the balconies

None of the Haven rooms appear (by the deck plans) to have the slides running through the actual balcony, just routed past them.  The four rooms on each deck that are directly impacted by slides running through the deck next to the balcony (it's not a passenger-accessible space) are a family suite and regular balcony (or possibly family balcony) on each side.  None of those are designated as Haven.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

whoever planned the prima and thought  this was a good idea, must have been on very heavy medication. why would ncl think that anyone, (especially paying haven prices, would want a slide running through their balcony?

This, for sure!

And at least to me, it makes the ship look like... it's not finished?  I mean, there are all of those massive and hideous construction tubes still there, sticking out in the most bizarre fashion! 😱

You know, the ones that will surely be removed before the ship is put into service, right!??

GC

19 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

This, for sure!

And at least to me, it makes the ship look like... it's not finished?  I mean, there are all of those massive and hideous construction tubes still there, sticking out in the most bizarre fashion! 😱

You know, the ones that will surely be removed before the ship is put into service, right!??

GC

You mean the support structure for the slides that keeps them architecturally sound? You can’t just remove those 🤣

• Haha 1

Can't wait to see the threads once people start bidding for Haven upgrades and get those rooms. 

As for the slides,  am I the only one that doesn't get it?   Why would they do this?  How many adults want to go back up 8 decks to get back to your stuff?  How does it work with kids? Do they need a parent at the top of the slide AND one at the bottom or is tbe kid just going to wander around alone for a while?   Just seems like a stupid gimmick.

this is an incredibly stupid design. Especially since the slide tubes appear to be enclosed (not clear)- so there is no reason to have them over the side of the ship like that..... like they might if being in a clear tube over the ocean was part of the fun.

• Like 1