BEWARE! NCL PRIMA SLIDES OBSTRUCTING BALCONY VIEWS INCLUDING HAVEN ROOMS!

dhjson

This still seems like the most absurd plan, assuming NCL is expecting their guests to *pay* for the cabins or suites that are in any way affected by these monstrosities right outside their window, or "sharing" some balcony space with them.

However, one tiny bit of "sanity" (if I dare call it that!?) is that what seem to be completely enclosed, opaque tubes... may (!?) have some clear sections, or at least one clear section?

Toward the bottom of this review:

https://www.cruisediary.de/taufreise-der-norwegian-prima-von-reykjavik-nach-amsterdam/

There is a trio of photos and the middle one shows what appears to be clear section of a tube, with what appears to be a body in it...??

Slightly lower in that review, there seems to be a long shot of that same section.

So... ARE there actual "clear sections" (or just one!?) for those who are taking (is it "The Rush"?) so they can get a very brief glimpse of some blur other than the inside of a dark tube?

That's of limited help for the slider, if it's still mostly opaque and dark.  (I sure hope that's not a moment when they blink.)

And it's no help to those who are negatively affected in the "comfort" of their own cabins or suites, and balconies.

Thus, it still seems like one of the very worst ideas for "cruise ship extras"....... 😱

Can anyone confirm if there are indeed any "clear" sections of those tubes?  If so, how many?  And are any right in front of someone else's cabin or suite?

GC

14 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

This still seems like the most absurd plan, assuming NCL is expecting their guests to *pay* for the cabins or suites that are in any way affected by these monstrosities right outside their window, or "sharing" some balcony space with them.

However, one tiny bit of "sanity" (if I dare call it that!?) is that what seem to be completely enclosed, opaque tubes... may (!?) have some clear sections, or at least one clear section?

Toward the bottom of this review:

https://www.cruisediary.de/taufreise-der-norwegian-prima-von-reykjavik-nach-amsterdam/

There is a trio of photos and the middle one shows what appears to be clear section of a tube, with what appears to be a body in it...??

Slightly lower in that review, there seems to be a long shot of that same section.

So... ARE there actual "clear sections" (or just one!?) for those who are taking (is it "The Rush"?) so they can get a very brief glimpse of some blur other than the inside of a dark tube?

That's of limited help for the slider, if it's still mostly opaque and dark.  (I sure hope that's not a moment when they blink.)

And it's no help to those who are negatively affected in the "comfort" of their own cabins or suites, and balconies.

Thus, it still seems like one of the very worst ideas for "cruise ship extras"....... 😱

Can anyone confirm if there are indeed any "clear" sections of those tubes?  If so, how many?  And are any right in front of someone else's cabin or suite?

GC

Post #3596 in the 'Everything...' thread (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758421-everything-project-leonardoprima-class/page/144/) has some photos that show a clear section on the Drop slide.  I have not found any good photos of the Rush yet but most likely it has the same.

Also, the remainder of the slide looks like it could be slightly translucent, so it is probably not going to be completely dark even without any clear section.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, phissy said:

The only tip I can offer is it possible to change cabin location?

We had very similar experience.  

I had booked 14790, Family suite last year for Prima.

At the time of the booking, there were no slides.

Deck plan did not show slide or an accurate descriptor of balcony(balconies).

Booked with TA and he had no clue either at the time.

In all of the promotional materials, pictures of the ship had no slides on the slides of the ship.

a couple of weeks later,  someone posted pics , ON CC, from shipyard with slides clearly on the sides.

New NCL promotional materials  were touting the "amazing slides" that will be onboard .

Could not believe the slide was going right through our balcony!  Pretty sure they are not listed as "Obstructed balconies/views".

Quickly, changed and decided to upgrade.

Haven 2 bedroom, booked as far away from slides as I could.

We now have 14916.

Also posted on our RollCall the warning of addition of slides.

One member had balcony cabin right next to slide and was able to change.

I think NCL will not be very accommodating as Prima has been a big seller and booked up quickly.

What range of rooms are affected by the slides ? We have 11198 & 11204 booked and think we are far enough away but want to make sure. TIA

1 hour ago, D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL said:

What range of rooms are affected by the slides ? We have 11198 & 11204 booked and think we are far enough away but want to make sure. TIA

A look at the deck plans would give you your answer.  The slides are denoted there, you're forward of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CruiseAF said:

I have never seen a bunch of FIRST WORLD ISSUES as everyone on here crying about this. 

It’s almost like reading that people are convinced the slider (rider) is landing on their balcony lol. 

Close, but not quite...

Take a look at the balcony that "belongs with" 15796...

I'd surely want to know about that before booking... and not everyone realizes the importance of looking at the deck plans.  Not everyone is a CC member; most cruise passengers aren't.

And IF that was the cabin/suite I had, I'd at least expect to pay less than the mirror image 15196.  That still has a friendly tube in sight, but at least there seems to be *some* usable balcony space.

It's just a matter of providing the appropriate information, so that consumers know what they are getting...  

One deck below?  It looks like there's not going to be much usuable balcony there, either.

Or view.

Or in 12810 or 12210...!?

I also think that the passengers in what seems to be a Haven suite (but not sure) 14900 aren't going to be real pleased with their view, and it's NOT the just the fact that the next cabins/suites jut out.  Nope, that doesn't appear to be the only problem there...

However, you are indeed correct.  If all goes as planned, no riders will actually be *landing* on those balconies.  Does that really mean there's "no problem" there from a passenger or consumer perspective?

Just TELL people when they are making reservations!

Why is that not an obvious thing to do?

Charging a bit less would also be nice, but it's being able to "know what you are buying" that is really critical!

[Apologies if I got any of the cabin/suite numbers wrong.]

GC

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CruiseAF said:

I have never seen a bunch of FIRST WORLD ISSUES as everyone on here crying about this. 

It’s almost like reading that people are convinced the slider (rider) is landing on their balcony lol. 

@CruiseAFI get you however sometimes it is not what you say, it is how you say it.  The issue here is the ship is to new to rate.  The other is the premium one pays for the Haven Suite in question.  In most cases, the Cruise Brand lets the guest know if there is an obstruction.  Like when you go to a Broadway show, an obstructed view seat would be discounted.  In this case it is a Haven Suite which is supposed to be the best on the ship.

I always remember how many times I was cancelled before I finally could use my FCC.  It was close to two years.  During those two years I visualized my cruise from start to finish.  To think my balcony has any sort of obstruction would have put a "Debbie Downer" on my cruise for sure. Not a First World Issue, but would have been very disappointing.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3

I'm sorry for the OP, as well. While on the one hand, having those slides (which seem to be pretty popular from what I've seen on board) is becoming more and more the norm, I can't say I'd be happy if I'd plumped for the Haven (as OP and family have done) only to have to contend with these ugly things. Of course, as some have pointed out, it's possibly these weren't included on early drawings so maybe it wasn't known when the cabins were reserved. I'm intrigued by the OP's characterization of NCL's response as being "nothing they can do" (surely there was more to it than that) and that the representative just hung up. I'm left to wonder what went wrong during that conversation. Even still, I hope things are made right before the cruise. Hard working health care workers have been through a lot and they deserve a nice vacation much more than I do! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruiseAF said:

All cruise issues are first world issues (along with most other issues most of us face in our daily lives).  That said, I'm very sympathetic to somebody who dreams of the Haven and winds up with a freeway in their back yard.  I don't want the Haven.  I don't want to pay for the Haven.  I don't want a butler, that "c" word that I can't even pronounce, private elevators to end my vacation in record time on disembarkation day, or most of that other H stuff.  However, I certainly respect those who do and wish for their dreams to come true (i.e. not turn into first world "nightmares").  Those slides look absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Additionally, that deceleration lane seems awfully short for a 10 story fall. I hope the engineers calculated the terminal velocity of the average corn fed American after he/she’s been pushed up to the omelet station all morning and topped it off with three ice cream cones otherwise that lobotomy someone wanted will become yet another “free at sea” perk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Av8torcrj said:

Additionally, that deceleration lane seems awfully short for a 10 story fall. I hope the engineers calculated the terminal velocity of the average corn fed American after he/she’s been pushed up to the omelet station all morning and topped it off with three ice cream cones otherwise that lobotomy someone wanted will become yet another “free at sea” perk. 

😮

5 hours ago, CruiseAF said:

I think it's pretty universal that nobody wants one of those monstrosities cutting across their balcony with a bunch of screaming riders shooting by. Especially when you consider you're paying a huge upcharge for said "private" balcony.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nferr said:

Especially when you consider you're paying a huge upcharge for said "private" balcony.

Sorry, I wouldn't consider 14900 or 14300 (or the ones in the same locations on other decks) private with the balconies of those other cabins in the corner overlooking them.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.47.38 PM.png

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Sorry, I wouldn't consider 14900 or 14300 (or the ones in the same locations on other decks) private with the balconies of those other cabins in the corner overlooking them.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.47.38 PM.png

Heck, still way more private than having a tube filled with screaming people shooting by.

1 hour ago, nferr said:

Heck, still way more private than having a tube filled with screaming people shooting by.

It's not an open roller coaster car with 20 people in it.  It's one person at a time in an enclosed tube.  Except maybe for a small clear section you won't see them and they won't see you.

2 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

It's not an open roller coaster car with 20 people in it.  It's one person at a time in an enclosed tube.  Except maybe for a small clear section you won't see them and they won't see you.

No, but you'll hear them zipping by and yelling as fly through your balcony. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 3