Shuttle Buses

amajaa

Are the shuttle buses still free for Select bookings? I notice now if you try and book and it gives you the choice for select and early saver it doesn't list shuttle buses any more. It used to have a tick next to select for free shuttle buses and no tick for early saver or saver. 

So are they charging for them now for everyone? 

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

Once you have selected Select fare ,the next page on the PO site reads "you have select fare " and it shows free shuttles in the list below .

Ah yes carried on with booking and so it does, thanks 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scriv said:

Went on Arcadia last week and the shuttle in Lisbon was free to Select Fares. They scanned our cruise cards on boarding the shuttle.

Can I please ask where you docked in Lisbon, was it Santa Apolonia or near there, or downriver of Lisbon centre?

Edited by tring

9 hours ago, tring said:

Can I please ask where you docked in Lisbon, was it Santa Apolonia or near there, or downriver of Lisbon centre?

Arcadia docked at Santa Apolonia on our recent cruise there. Shuttle bus drop off point was north west of Dom Pedro IV square, close to the Restauradores Metro station. Consequently it took a bit longer than we had previously experienced - maybe about 15 -20 minutes due to negotiating fairly heavy traffic. In the past my recollection was that we were dropped off at the Arch at the southern end of Rua Augusta.

Shuttle was free to Select Fare passengers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

The new terminal in Lisbon ( near Apolonia) is only about 10 minutes walk along waterfront to city gate. Do not need shuttle if you can walk it. 

I did laugh when we got the shuttle bus, how close it was! However all the HoHo buses and a tram were in the square it dropped us off at. When we were wondering about later in the day we turned a corner and the ship was right in front of us!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Arcadia docked at Santa Apolonia on our recent cruise there. Shuttle bus drop off point was north west of Dom Pedro IV square, close to the Restauradores Metro station. Consequently it took a bit longer than we had previously experienced - maybe about 15 -20 minutes due to negotiating fairly heavy traffic. In the past my recollection was that we were dropped off at the Arch at the southern end of Rua Augusta.

Shuttle was free to Select Fare passengers

Thanks for the reply, it is good there is a shuttle bus from there as within the city and train travel is readily available.  One big plus for P&O still offering that, but perhaps I should not be saying so 🙂

Does anyone know where Iona docks in La Coruna? We have been many times and always docked more or less in the town but last time we docked in the town ( on Ventura I think) but Brittania was also in that day and they docked in the working port futher in and passengers had to be bussed to in front of our ship. I just wondered if Iona and soon Arvia being a lot bigger might have to dock in the working port. 

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I did laugh when we got the shuttle bus, how close it was! However all the HoHo buses and a tram were in the square it dropped us off at. When we were wondering about later in the day we turned a corner and the ship was right in front of us!

I think things may have changed now. The last time we visited Lisbon we took the shuttle and it dropped us in the large square close to the Arco da Rua Augusta just a stones throw from the River Tagus and easily walkable from the ship if you so desired.

However this last time we were dropped off some way north of that point as I said in my post above. On our return to ship when we did drive through that square by the Arch and it looked to be largely pedestrianised with limited or zero option for cruise coaches to drop off and/or pick up.

Things may be different for other cruises but I sense that the city authorities may have mandated that shuttles drop off elsewhere to avoid the inevitable crowding around the square.

Edited by arlowood

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

We were there in January on Iona and docked opposite the town.

20220124_160525.jpg

This is Lisbon isn't it, sorry I am only asking as I asked a question above your post about La Coruna and it doesn't look like where we normally dock in La Coruna but does look like Lisbon.

17 minutes ago, amajaa said:

This is Lisbon isn't it, sorry I am only asking as I asked a question above your post about La Coruna and it doesn't look like where we normally dock in La Coruna but does look like Lisbon.

Actually it is Cadiz, i checked it on google after fun trying to match it to La Coruna and Lisbon 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amajaa said:

Does anyone know where Iona docks in La Coruna? We have been many times and always docked more or less in the town but last time we docked in the town ( on Ventura I think) but Brittania was also in that day and they docked in the working port futher in and passengers had to be bussed to in front of our ship. I just wondered if Iona and soon Arvia being a lot bigger might have to dock in the working port. 

Anthem docked near to the town. She is a bit bigger than Britannia  but smaller than Iona if that helps.

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

Anthem docked near to the town. She is a bit bigger than Britannia  but smaller than Iona if that helps.

There is not much in it according to wikipedia,  Anthem is 9 ft longer but 2 ft narrower than Iona at the waterline, both should easily dock in La Corunna.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There is not much in it according to wikipedia,  Anthem is 9 ft longer but 2 ft narrower than Iona at the waterline, both should easily dock in La Corunna.

We were there on Anthem last week and return on Britannia in 3 weeks. Displacement wise, Britannia is 140k tonnes or so, Iona 180 and Anthem 160. Hence  I said it the way did. If folk want absolute accuracy the internet will always help them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 12:15 AM, tring said:

Sorry, only just seen this. Yes, we docked at Santa Apolonia and took the shuttle up to its stop in the square near the Restauradores Metro Station. That suited us very well as we went up on the nearby Funicular Railway, enjoyed the views from up there then returned to the square for Pasteis de Nata before making our way back down through the streets towards the port.

It was a very pleasant surprise to find how near the ship we were and what an easy walk it was back to the ship, but we were pleased we had started from up the top of the town. 

• Like 2

On Britannia in the Baltics and in summary thus far:

Kiel - no shuttles, docked in the centre, leave the port, head right and follow the blue line in the pavement.  No shuttle bus needed and none provided.

Stockholm - shuttle provided and £5 per person each way.  Select was free, Mrs RL and me were not charged and are on a Select fare.  Journey time was 15 mins and drops off / picks up outside the Opera House.  Plenty of buses and coaches, buses certainly accessible to all but could only take one wheelchair at a time.

Helsinki - shuttle provided and £4 per person each way.  Select was free, Mrs RL and me were not charged and are on a Select fare.  Journey time was 10 mins and drops off / picks up outside Makasiiniterminaali.  This is a 2-3 min walk to the market and 10 mins from the main department store. Plenty of buses and coaches, buses certainly accessible to all but could only take one wheelchair at a time.

Cards scanned getting on bus in both directions.  Always a bus waiting at port and in the towns / cities.  Masks not mandated and no warned by most.

As ever if you are tall and getting on the bus (rather than the coach) then mind your head getting into the back seats and also watch for luggage racks above in any seat.

• Like 1

Tallinn - shuttle provided and £4 per person each way.  Select was free, Mrs RL and me were not charged and are on a Select fare.  Journey time was 5 mins and drops off / picks up just north of the Mere Puiestee tram stop.  Plenty of buses and coaches, buses certainly accessible to all but could only take one wheelchair at a time.  Drivers very helpful and patient from my observation.  Only thing I'd say is £4 for such a short journey each way would feel steep.  Borderline though on walkable with ease.  Still, not the worst I've done, Lanzarote wins that hands down for taking me one whole length of the ship. 

• Like 1