One cruise away from black but now I'm done with Princess.

scott4020

I can take a lot but this situation has me on tilt.

After my Crown cruise on Aug 13th things went very wrong.

They charged my folio to my roommates account, not a huge deal I'll just pay him, but still disturbing.

Then a $1440.30 charge appears on my CC from Crown Princess from nowhere. This amount has nothing to do with either of our accounts.

I called Princess and they said I would have to contact the finance department via email, there was nobody I could call.

I emailed and got no response from them other than the confirmation email my email was received.

I called back and spoke with a supervisor and she said the same thing about email. I emailed finance again and have received no response other than the confirmation email.

I have emailed senior staff and have also received zero response.

I have had to file a dispute with my CC company, actually had to do a fraud report.

This situation is beyond unacceptable. They have basically tried to steal money from me and not a trivial amount.

I am done with Princess and that makes me very sad.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, scott4020 said:

They charged my folio to my roommates account, not a huge deal I'll just pay him, but still disturbing.

Then a $1440.30 charge appears on my CC from Crown Princess from nowhere. This amount has nothing to do with either of our accounts.

I called Princess and they said I would have to contact the finance department via email, there was nobody I could call.

I emailed and got no response from them other than the confirmation email my email was received.

I called back and spoke with a supervisor and she said the same thing about email. I emailed finance again and have received no response other than the confirmation email.

I have had to file a dispute with my CC company, actually had to do a fraud report.

This situation is beyond unacceptable. They have basically tried to steal money from me and not a trivial amount.

Did you call the number on the CC statement for Princess cruises? 

Unless it is the general phone number,
It could be the finance dept.

Or, they could tell you where the charge originated from.

You can’t figure out what the charge would be?  Did you use a TA/CVP? Could they have run the CC in error?  You may not want to waste more time if you’ve disputed it, but I’d want to know where it originated.

Sorry you have to deal with this very strange charge. 

• Like 1

Yikes! What is the description of the charge on your folio? Or is there none?

A couple of comments.

Did you book directly through Princess or through a TA? If you booked with Princess was it using the web site or via phone?

Who filled out the documents prior to boarding?

Did you fill them out individually are at the same time?

Are you certain that the box did not get checked for your roommates card to be used for both account?  An easy mistake to make.  If your roommate was able to see your charges while on board then the system was set up to charge your onboard purchases to their card.

How does the amount charged to your card compare to any of the valid charges by Princess either for the cruise or onboard spend?  When did the charge appear on your card vs the date of the end of the cruise?

Edited by ldtr

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you call the number on the CC statement for Princess cruises? 

Unless it is the general phone number,
It could be the finance dept.

Or, they could tell you where the charge originated from.

You can’t figure out what the charge would be?  Did you use a TA/CVP? Could they have run the CC in error?  You may not want to waste more time if you’ve disputed it, but I’d want to know where it originated.

Sorry you have to deal with this very strange charge. 

There was no phone # on the statement.

I booked the cruise myself.

No ideas what the charge would be. 

3 hours ago, ldtr said:

A couple of comments.

Did you book directly through Princess or through a TA? If you booked with Princess was it using the web site or via phone?

Who filled out the documents prior to boarding?

Did you fill them out individually are at the same time?

Are you certain that the box did not get checked for your roommates card to be used for both account?  An easy mistake to make.  If your roommate was able to see your charges while on board then the system was set up to charge your onboard purchases to their card.

How does the amount charged to your card compare to any of the valid charges by Princess either for the cruise or onboard spend?  When did the charge appear on your card vs the date of the end of the cruise?

Booked through PC website.

Filled out by me and my roommate separately.

Yup.

The charge does not compare to mine or my roomates folio.

Charge appeared the day of embarkation. 

19 minutes ago, scott4020 said:

Yup.

You mean disembarking, right?  No time to go to guest services to question?

They had your CC, so you should have had your own folio and it would have shown your charges.

Your roommate may have been the lead account, so you could see all the charges for both of you. But, you both should have set up different accounts and each charged on your own credit cards. Unless you didn’t set it up that way?

Are you sure they charged your roommate for your charges too?  If they did, maybe that’s the problem, they 

double charged you?  IDK, just trying to figure out what they did.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scott4020 said:

Yup.

If it’s totally off, could be an accounting error and you were charged for someone else’s bill.  Never heard of that happening, but I can’t figure out an explanation.  Again, Princess should know where that charge originated.

They would have to go through the ship’s accounting to get that information.

6 hours ago, scott4020 said:

I think the only thing you can do now is to wait for the finance dept.  This was an August cruise, so it hasn’t been that long.

You filed a dispute, so that’s all you can do for now.  
Sorry this happened, but they will have to figure it out.

• Like 1

Yup.

Did you both give them a CC on check in?

I have seen cases where even though my wife and I were both charged to my card the check process had her as owning the account, until I went to customer service to get it corrected.

Two ways it can happen 1. if your roommate linked both names on the reservation to their card, or the agent made a mistake during check in.If they had looked at the account during the cruise they would have been able to view your charges, but you could not see theirs.

So that charge does not correspond to any combination of charges? was is smaller or larger than one or both persons on board bills?

I assume this charge did not show up on you account before you left ship.

Was your card registered in medallion for off ship purchases? Did you walk into any of the stores in port that take medallion payments?

Have seen some mistakes in medallion charges when bartenders on board made error in charging the right account when someone ordered a drink and I happened to be standing near the same bar. Just wondering if with a charge that large if something like that could have happened with the off ship medallion system.

Since all on ship charges went to your roommates account that would seem to eliminate that type mistake from happening at the on board jewelry store or art auction.

Not unusual to see pending charges from Princess to show up at cruise end in since they will place such charges to make sure that there is sufficient space available on each passengers card to cover final bill. But those charges never leave pending and get replaced when the final charge comes in.

I assume that you did not book another cruise on board or just happen to have a payment on another cruise due?

Certainly very strange and not anything I have heard of with over 50 cruises on Princess.

Edited by ldtr

At least your amount was significant enough. They charged me $12.98 on the last night of my cruise back in December. It took six weeks to get a future cruise credit--and that was only because I was on the phone with a customer service rep about a problem booking another cruise. I'm still waiting to hear back from Princess regarding my complaint about that booking.

8 hours ago, scott4020 said:

Was this a charge you saw on the end-of-cruise account summary they e-mailed to you?

Or is that just the date the charge has on the credit card statement?

It could be that someone making a new cruise reservation with the future cruise person may had an incorrect cabin number given when the booking was made and thus the charge went directly to your card for that reason.

Telling the credit card company that the charge is not valid is the best course of action.

If you ever find out the source of the charge, please come back and post that information.

11 hours ago, scott4020 said:

Yup.

So here is what we would do. Immediately call your credit card company and put that charge into “dispute.”  Tell the credit card rep that you are trying to resolve the issue with Princess but not getting any answers.  Your friend could do the same with their credit card item.

Hank

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So here is what we would do. Immediately call your credit card company and put that charge into “dispute.”  Tell the credit card rep that you are trying to resolve the issue with Princess but not getting any answers.  Your friend could do the same with their credit card item.

Hank

The OP said that he filed a fraud report with his credit card company.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

The OP said that he filed a fraud report with his credit card company.

Words have meaning.  In our country it is simply called a “dispute” which is a far cry from “fraud.”  Filing a dispute, stops the clock in terms of some US Federal Laws and regulations.  There are times when delaying the filing of a dispute can later deny you any rights.  We have no clue as to the laws North of the border 🙂

Hank

• Like 1