What is your solution to overpacking?

spleenstomper

I do have double zipper compression bags and I am checking a large near 50 pound luggage. It’s Alaska and it’s rainy and windy and cold (ooh, just reminded myself that I still have to pack a hat and gloves). I’m concerned I’m going to get wet and need to change out the outerwear a few times. I’m solo so I don’t have my husband to share his extra space lol. 

Thanks for any tips. 

Edited by spleenstomper

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have a list of every single item to pack. We also have free laundry (4*) but we pack for 4 to 6 week cruises. 

50 pounds in luggage for one person seems a bit excessive if it's for a week. 

I don’t know if it weighs 50 pounds— I mean it’s that size. I am bringing 2 types of boots, slip on slipper shoes, and a pair of tennis shoes. I’m driving to NOLA tomorrow evening and fly out on Friday so I think when I get to my son’s house, I’m going to take it all out and reevaluate. 

Edited by spleenstomper

Outer MUST be waterproof shell/raincoat, under that a fleece or sweatshirt, then normal shirt. 3 pair pants (one wearing…1 black for dinner….jeans worn on plane, 1 in case jeans wet …4-5 tops…one “dressy”.) (I have waterproof pants I usually will take on AK or other rainy cruises .) You’re not at home…wearing things day after day is not a problem! Two pjs. Nobody will care what you wear. If emergency, ship laundry is great.

• Like 3

A good rule of thumb for weather layers is to dress with three:

▫️ base (in this case, your normal short- or long-sleeve t-shirt)

️ warmth (like a long-sleeve fleece, or a wool sweater)

◻️ wind/water protection (like a rain jacket, a poncho, something with Gore-Tex if you own it already)

Ideally, you only need to pack one of the last item, because it doesn’t matter if it gets wet… you just hang it to dry in your cabin and it’s good enough the next day.

It’s good to have two or three middle layers, so that if one gets wet/sweaty it can have a day or two to dry out or go through the laundry service (and it’s best not to put fleece in the dryer if you can avoid it).

I try to have my base/mid layers be similar colors, so they can all go in the same load of laundry if need be. If you don’t want to send laundry at all, then try to pack 1 waterproof layer, 3 warm layers, and 8-9 base layer shirts (since if you’re going on more active excursions, you will definitely want to change when you get back on the ship).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I do have double zipper compression bags and I am checking a large near 50 pound luggage. It’s Alaska and it’s rainy and windy and cold (ooh, just reminded myself that I still have to pack a hat and gloves). I’m concerned I’m going to get wet and need to change out the outerwear a few times. I’m solo so I don’t have my husband to share his extra space lol. 

Thanks for any tips. 

Monochromatic color scheme. Everything has to be worn at least twice. Layering for "iffy" weather. If I don't have something, I just buy it wherever we are....

• Like 2

LOL at buying another one.  Dave and I have frequently bought jackets in Ketchikan simply because they offered them for $ 19.99!  They have made perfect "chore" coats once we got home!  We laugh now and then say we need to go to Alaska to get a new coat!

Denise

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

We just take 4 sets of clothes and use HAL laundry.  Carry on bag each and we are done.  

Not understanding the need to haul so much luggage around.  Luggage is expensive to fly with and a hassle to lug around.  

And the business case for HAL's unlimited laundry service wins every time!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

Thanks everyone. It’s such a problem for me. I’m so afraid I’m not going to pack something and then I’ll need it. But what’s the worse than can happen? I buy another one while on vacation? 

Not only do they have stores in Alaska, they will be clearing out things (clothing, et al) for the end of the tourist season. My mom loves her Alaska sweatshirt and bill-cap with wildflowers on them.

Unless you are going to land on a glacier, you will not need two pair of boots. And if you ARE going to do that, find out if they provide boots! Take the pair that is (1) broken in, (2) most comfortable, and (3) most water-repellant.

My first trip to Alaska, in early June, I ended up with only one pair of shoes when the Vibram sole fell off my Gore-Tex hikers in the airport! I did everything in NOT water resistant fabric "mocs" (like clogs but with a heel-cup). It was OK! not ideal but OK.

Do pack in a carry-on -- any medicines including OTC meds that you might want. OTC meds are expensive on board if they even have your preferred brand.

• Like 3

I packed too much for our May Alaska cruise.  Too many tops and bottoms, as I wore the same things many times.  It wouldn't really matter, except it was a bummer to have to sort out the wrinkled, unworn things when we got home.  Just unnecessary work to do after a nice relaxing vacation.  

I like @KroozNut's suggestion.  Lay it all out and then put half of it back in the closet.  But something waterproof really is necessary in Alaska.

• Like 1

My rule is this:  If I pack something and then do not wear it on my cruise, I cannot bring it home.  It sounds silly, but it has prevented the too many pretty tops and extra shoes I used to pack, bring home and unpack without wearing.

Barbara M. In NH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Unless you are going to land on a glacier, you will not need two pair of boots. And if you ARE going to do that, find out if they provide boots! Take the pair that is (1) broken in, (2) most comfortable, and (3) most water-repellant.

Exactly. Actually I have never needed even one pair of boots in Alaska and the last time we went was in May. Unless you plan to hike in the snow there really is no need.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

Lay out every possible item you THINK you might need...

Then put half of that away.

Whatever remains is what you should pack 😉 

As a variation on this:

Pack everything you really think you need.

Carry all the suitcases around the block. Do it yourself - no pretending the neighbor kid is a porter and bribing him. 🤑

Take out the stuff you just discovered you don't want to carry.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

What is "overpacking"? Just a stupid term to make you nervous or even feel guilty.

Just take all you want or think you might need.

That's what Airlines wants u to think, so that they'll make Billion$ on overweight luggage fees...

• Like 1

My Alaska basics:  Rain Pants and Rain Jacket with hood keep you dry and warm in wind as well as rain.  A puffy vest will coordinate with long sleeve pullovers.  Black jeans.  Fleece Jacket with hood.  Water proof shoes with two pair warm socks for outings, Merrill lined slip ons around the ship.  Dressy flats for evening.  One pair evening black pants, one long black skirt, one fancy top with shiny jewelry for dressy nights, 2-3 nice tops to coordinate with sweater for dinner.   No sweatshirt (too bulky).  Don’t forget the underwear.  The ship will supply a robe.

A warm slip on hat for glacier viewing, gloves (?).  

I also take a small bedside clock and a flameless candle for a bathroom nightlight and a clip to hold the curtain shut at night, a very small flashlight may come in handy.  Meds are important including Imodium and a cough remedy.  Toothbrush and small toiletries.  Lotion will be provided.

On the plane wear short sleeve t-shirt with long sleeve sun protective coordinating shirt and a second pair of black jeans.  Black water proof shoes with socks.  I have never taken tennis shoes or sandals to Alaska.

Your base color is black then mix in colors with tops.  Stuff the shoes when you pack.  They take up a lot of space!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

Thanks for any tips. 

Just keep in mind you are doing a week long cruise in Alaska, not redoing Scott's expedition to the Antarctic.  They do have stores in Alaska in case your really need something (and it makes a nice souvenir) They do have laundry and dryers on board ship so if something gets wet, it will dry.  Look at what you are packing and ask your self what you absolutely must have,  not what might you need to cover any possible situation, because most will not be needed and if something really is needed it can be resolved in most cases with a credit card.

Ok thank you all. I’m going to start this edit by removing one pair of boots. Which would you keep (obviously late season, rain forecasted)? I have no excursions booked yet because I just booked this cruise!

On the left, lighter but less waterproof (more like weather proof maybe)

on the right, heavier but 100% waterproof with a fuzzy lining inside, 

thanks!

8DBECCE0-F787-4738-8F77-84B269C09BED.jpeg