Massage- Worthwhile on the Grand? Anyone with a Good Experience?

nini

We are excited to be boarding the Grand next week for a 12 night Alaska itinerary!

I realize that there are staff changes, however, has anyone experienced a good massage

therapist on this ship? I am talking about a skilled deep tissue massage.

I have seen that some Patters are listing an offering of a 5 minute "Massage Tester" and I thought that

might help determine the skill of that therapist.

Thanks!

@nini

If you are only asking for the good to respond that may limit people responding.

The 5 minute testers are okay.  I've done those before and the experience varies.

I have a regular massage therapist on land that is very good and have never been able to match that at sea.  (Gave up trying)

I hope you find one that you like.  I find them too costly with annoying after sales pitch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@nini

If you are only asking for the good to respond that may limit people responding.

The 5 minute testers are okay.  I've done those before and the experience varies.

I have a regular massage therapist on land that is very good and have never been able to match that at sea.  (Gave up trying)

I hope you find one that you like.  I find them too costly with annoying after sales pitch.  

On our last cruise I was approached twice to have a free sample massage. I declined both times but it might have been nice to get a short neck and head or shoulder massage. I get a massage every 3 or 4 weeks at home. My back is toast and I walk in hunched over and walk out standing straight and tall. Well worth the money and it's "all in the family" as my niece is the massage therapist. She's very good. Every once in a while she will post a cancellation and, usually within 10 - 15 minutes - the appointment time is snapped up by someone. I just do upper body: back, shoulders, arms, hands, face, neck and head. Like I said above, it's well worth the money but I would guess it's less expensive than the same thing on the ship.

Bob Hope once said that part of the reason he lived so long is that he had a massage every day. He made it to 100 years old. (I'm hoping to make it at least to 80 but I can't count on it. <sigh.>...)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

We've had many a message while on board and all have been good.  The only issue is after the massage you get a hard sell to buy products, just say no thanks.  Great way to use unused OBC. 

Princess is not the only line that does the hard sell at the end 🙂

Agree it's a terrific way to use an abundance of OBC. Paying out of pocket is a different story as prices are 2 to 3 times what can be found at many ports or home (IMHO).

Cheers,

John

Thank you all for your responses.

I have no problem avoiding the hard sell at the end. I am also a strong believer in getting a deep tissue massage once a month! 

@Thrak You are fortunate to have a skilled therapist in the family. I think that massage therapy is very important for our well being in many ways.

I will keep my eyes open for when they will have a "massage tester" and will NOT bend to the hard sell.

• Like 1

The first massage tester is usually on embarkation day up by the spa elevators in the later afternoon.  Check your patter.  Unfortunately, it’s rotational.  You don’t get to choose the sampler. I guess if you requested the “best” deep tissue therapist, they might oblige.  Sometimes it is only two working the group.  

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The first massage tester is usually on embarkation day up by the spa elevators in the later afternoon.  Check your patter.  Unfortunately, it’s rotational.  You don’t get to choose the sampler. I guess if you requested the “best” deep tissue therapist, they might oblige.  Sometimes it is only two working the group.  

Thanks for the info!

I would def. ask for some kind of manager, to talk to them about the type of massage you want.  I have seen where people asked about the massages, and they seemed to want to offer what was needed.  I would try that, and then decide from there.

I haven't had a massage onboard, but did stop by the 'sampler' once.  it was a smaller young female with small 'pinchy' fingers.   I passed and just didn't pursue a massage.   Especially since avoiding that specific tight pressure/pinching to trigger points is imperative with triggered fibromyalgia.

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I would def. ask for some kind of manager, to talk to them about the type of massage you want.  I have seen where people asked about the massages, and they seemed to want to offer what was needed.  I would try that, and then decide from there.

I haven't had a massage onboard, but did stop by the 'sampler' once.  it was a smaller young female with small 'pinchy' fingers.   I passed and just didn't pursue a massage.   Especially since avoiding that specific tight pressure/pinching to trigger points is imperative with triggered fibromyalgia.

I would be surprised if she does not receive negative comments. Thanks for the heads up,