In these tricky times of flying...

jonthomas

Why I would recommend the OP avoid Heathrow is he wants an easy, seamless trip

- arrivals from Canada have to change terminals to fly to BCN - 20 - 30 minute walk and he is doing carry on only, bus ride to change terminals (have had to wait 30 minutes for a bus) and change floors, go through security again (had my phone stolen out of a bin at security and they were not at all interested) , line for up to 20 minutes to make connecting flights check in after de-planing, 

A person who does not want an adventure or who is unfamiliar with LHR does not need this. There are far better alternatives.

A good friend is a pharmacist at one of the 5 Boots pharmacies there and she shakes her head in agreement when we discuss LHR.

Too many generalizations -about FRA and LHR,  Been through both since May 2X.  No issues and not much different than pre COVID. The B side Senator lounge in June in the AM was completely empty.  Bags transferred with zero issues to my onward connection to the Middle East,

Through Madrid in June..  Best ever experience through security and again the lounge was empty.

YVR in July - nothing special and no issues.

TLV in August and September, security was tight but nothing unusual.  Made it though entering airport to gate in under 30 minutes.

Had more issues at MCO with crowds than my international destinations.

I do hate LHR, but like FRA.  It is like my old home, been flying into FRA since my PA days in the 70's heading to Berlin on a monthly basis.

Edited by PaulMCO

Flying today is NOT "tricky," no more than pre-pandemic.  Just takes a bit of intelligent planning, as does all travel.  The least expensive easiest direct routing just might be a R/T fare YYZ-MIA and then MIA-BCN one-way via LIS on TAP.  LIS is a good airport and easy to navigate.  Transferring between flights staying with one airline provides good security for checked baggage and high probability it will arrive with you on the same flight.  Have flown TAP across the pond several times: all good flights on time.  TAP is now using new A330neo aircraft which are comfortable and quiet.

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Flying today is NOT "tricky," no more than pre-pandemic.  Just takes a bit of intelligent planning, as does all travel.  The least expensive easiest direct routing just might be a R/T fare YYZ-MIA a

maybe  if you pick the right day  it is cheaper to MIA from YYZ

IME  it is still not cheap

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Nor is it easy - 15 hours air time + 3.5 to Mia

and two changes 

I believe the OP made the right decision for him and his party - one airline 1 change in a great airport (best European airport for 18 years in a row). Enough of a layover to make the connecting flight easily with options if he is delayed.

Edited by Robjame

Just now, Robjame said:

Nor is it easy - 15 hours air time and two changes 

I believe the OP made the right decision for he and his party - one airline 1 change in a great airport (best European airport for 18 years in a row). Enough of a layover to make the connecting flight easily with options if he is delayed.

Agree

People have to do what works best  for them  at the end of the day

I'm just going to throw this out there for people reading this post in the future (or for the OP's future trips)...
We like to fly to the nearest major airport (our alternative is an 8-10+ hour drive with no weather/traffic) then fly non-stop to a European city and sleep on the plane. Since the first couple of days are groggy-brain anyway, we book an airport hotel, stay awake as long as we can (try to make it to 9 pm)  and then sleep. The next day we book a morning (not early) flight/train/other to wherever we're going and our brains are recovered enough from jet-lag to handle hiccups.

• Like 1

yes made that decision with help from a couple of you....

we are all set...AC from TO to Zurich, short stop over....carry on luggage only and have 3 days to get to cruise...leaving on nov 16, cruise is on nov 19.... should be ok....not second guessing myself....

thanks again....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

maybe  if you pick the right day  it is cheaper to MIA from YYZ

no choice in picking the right day...have to fly home on sunday....so whatever it is it..is...tried to see if flying from FLL would be less, but all the aft flights are just as much as from MIA...they know those on cruises get off in Mia and will try and find a cheaper flight...so all the morning ones are low, as soon as you chose something in the aft, it is the same as MIA...with the bother of of trying to get to FLL from MIA....

1 minute ago, jonthomas said:

no choice in picking the right day...have to fly home on sunday....so whatever it is it..is...tried to see if flying from FLL would be less, but all the aft flights are just as much as from MIA...they know those on cruises get off in Mia and will try and find a cheaper flight...so all the morning ones are low, as soon as you chose something in the aft, it is the same as MIA...with the bother of of trying to get to FLL from MIA....

Just  easier  to take a taxi from the port to MIA

We also have booked a private  car service  with others from the ship   price is comparable  & less hassle in my opinion

I do not understand why some go through all the machinations just to save a couple of bucks  but it is their money  😉

Enjoy the trip

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

but all the aft flights are just as much as from MIA...they know those on cruises get off in Mia and will try and find a cheaper flight...so all the morning ones are low, as soon as you chose something in the aft, it is the same as MIA

Urban legend that airlines hike the prices to screw over the cruise passengers.

Rather it is your old friend supply and demand at work.  Higher demand means that the lowest priced fare buckets get sold out first, leaving only higher priced ones.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

o choice in picking the right day...have to fly home on sunday....so whatever it is it..is...tried to see if flying from FLL would be less, but all the aft flights are just as much as from MIA...they

If you are talking November 27 check out FLL -YYZ  on WestJet for $124 cad -  FLT 

9 pm flight but you can’t beat that price! FLT WS 1233

16 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Maybe something to do with travel post-Thanksgiving in the US.

or maybe just  the beginning of more cruises out of Florida

We have sailed  Dec  through Mar  prices are always high 

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

or maybe just  the beginning of more cruises out of Florida

We have sailed  Dec  through Mar  prices are always high 

Maybe, but it's gonna be tough to get on a cruise out of Florida when you're on a flight to Toronto late Sunday afternoon.

35 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

yup all the other sundays pre dec 4 and after  are half the price....why

Airlines use dynamic pricing - as seats become less available the price goes up. In most cases it is best to book as far out as possible.

I know you said you had to get home on the Sunday but is that negotiable? a stay one day to Monday November 5 and you can get that $124 price 

really want to go home after being away for 18 days....and paying for hotel in MIA would  make it the same cost as flying on Sun aft...

so far the AC  plane at 2:45 is empty....so not sure about the demand for that day or that time..will wait a bit more....

all suggestions are valued....

15 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

really want to go home after being away for 18 days....and paying for hotel in MIA would  make it the same cost as flying on Sun aft...

so far the AC  plane at 2:45 is empty....so not sure about the demand for that day or that time..will wait a bit more....

all suggestions are valued....

Have a look at Flair Airlines.