Viking news

Daisi

Wow, he´s only counting 6 accidents in the last 6 years... It´s a running gag over here when any news about an accident on the rivers is coming up... which Viking ship was involved???

I´d say there are at least 6 accidents per year. It´s basically because Viking has the most ships over here so it´s statistically pretty likely that one of theirs is involved.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

It´s a running gag over here when any news about an accident on the rivers is coming up... which Viking ship was involved???

As much as I would like to say that is exaggerated - it is not exaggerated.

I have not read any German news about this yet, a police report may come up regionally though. On the Rhine tragic news about drownings dominate the headlines in the area.

By the way, on the Danube at Lindau a river cruise ship collided with another ship while trying to turn around to go downstream to Austria. Name of ship - as is usual practice - not disclosed.

Busy rivers. The dock at Wesel itself is notorious for tricky situations by the way. It appears to be how the landing stage is designed and placed close to the navigation channel.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I have not read any German news about this yet, a police report may come up regionally though. On the Rhine tragic news about drownings dominate the headlines in the area.

I couldn´t find anything either... So sad about the drownings (father and 9 yo son).

There were a couple of incidents... The Viking Gersemi had a fire alert about a week ago and had to do an unplanned stop in Braubach to check.

Recently a river cruise ship left Passau/Lindau a little too fast. The wake caused the lines of another ship to snap and broke loose. This ship rammed another one tied up. A total of three ships were damaged. The one which caused the accident left without stopping... The news reports were taking about a river cruise ship from Switzerland.

And I don´t recall how many pilot houses of Viking ships got torn off by bridges...

steamboats

Other cruise companies crews, actually point out the usually blue tarpaulin covering various miss-haps but seeing that Viking has so many more vessels maybe or is this  be expected I say no their crews should be of equal quality of others on the rivers. No company should put their traveler’s in any kind of danger.

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

Recently a river cruise ship left Passau/Lindau a little too fast. The wake caused the lines of another ship to snap and broke loose. This ship rammed another one tied up. A total of three ships were damaged. The one which caused the accident left without stopping... The news reports were taking about a river cruise ship from Switzerland.

So you found more details on that than me. Swiss ship? Could be tons of different ones or rather one of a ton that are registered in Switzerland, or of course a "proper" Swiss one.

I must admit that I am a bit concerned about the accidents and fires this year, the season started late and I feel more incidents than usual have come to our attention. Just a feeling or statistically correct or even significant I have no way of knowing.

Hope the people all recover quickly including the obviously unhappy captain/officer and that the passengers are not put off river cruising.

The Kvasir is obviously able to sail, i.e. was declared fit for sailing by police, as she is now in Rotterdam.

notamermaid

Used different search criteria and now found a local news article including confirmation by police of the accident and that an investigation is ongoing (which is normal): https://www.radiokw.de/artikel/kreuzfahrtschiff-mit-schubboot-auf-dem-rhein-kollidiert-1425053.html

Second ship involved was a push barge.

notamermaid

• Like 1