Meet Ship in Future Port if ship missed due to medical?

The-Inside-Cabin

I know that if you miss the initial sailing of ship due to flight delays etc - you can rejoin at a future port - at your own expense.

What about medical issues?   COVID issues?  

What if you miss due to a short term medical issue - can you still join at a future port?   What if your travelling partner can sail but you can't - can you still join up at a future port?

I am not interested in whether or not travel insurance would cover anything - I am curious about whether or not HAL would let you on the ship at the future port under those circumstances.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It depends where the ship sails from, and to.  Might be possible in Europe, but they stopped downline boarding in/from North America years ago.  EM

I recall reading a post on here a couple weeks ago about this scenario happening to someone on an Alaska cruise.  I don't recall the exact reason they weren't able to board in Vancouver, B.C. (may have been a HAL-arranged flight that was delayed) but HAL did let them board later in the cruise.  I think they finally caught up with their ship in Sitka.  

That said, it didn't just happen automatically.  I believe they had to work closely with HAL to obtain approval and work out the downrange meet-up plan.

• Thanks 1

Depends upon the cruise, depends upon the reason for the delay, depend upon if you booked your air through the cruise line, etc.  Difficult to answer without more details on the exact cruise and situation.

Even then most likely only the cruise line can answer, when and if it occurs.

40 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

I recall reading a post on here a couple weeks ago about this scenario happening to someone on an Alaska cruise.  I don't recall the exact reason they weren't able to board in Vancouver, B.C. (may have been a HAL-arranged flight that was delayed) but HAL did let them board later in the cruise.  I think they finally caught up with their ship in Sitka.  

That said, it didn't just happen automatically.  I believe they had to work closely with HAL to obtain approval and work out the downrange meet-up plan.

Also happened on an Hawaii cruise (usually not allowed due to PVSA) but I think it was allowed because it was a travel related problem and the people involved had purchased their air fare through the cruise line.

I was on a cruise with my mother when she got sick.  Medical put us off in Dublin where she was in hospital for 2 nights.  She got out & we flew to Glasgow to take a bus to Portree, Isle of Skye.  All was done while in talks with  HAL’s insurance people.  Had to get approval prior to getting back on the ship.  When we boarded in Portree it seemed nobody could have cared less.  But our cards didn’t get us stopped so that was good.

Never happier to see a ship in port & get onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It also depends on the reason for medical disembarkation. Case in point:   DH was forgetting his age, thinking he was still a teenager and did a bunch of body surfing at Half Moon Cay.  A day later, he was feeling terrible with chest pains, etc.  He spent the night in the medical centre and we were off loaded in Colon with an ambulance ride into Panama City.  It was thought he suffered a heart attack, when in actuality it was a hiatal hernia.  After spending the night, he was cleared to be released from the hospital, but upon checking with the ship (through a HAL rep on the phone), the Captain said he wouldn't let us re-board, as we were 2 days sailing to our next port and he wouldn't feel comfortable having us back in case a cardiac event occurred.  The Captain is the boss, so we flew to Ft Lauderdale and lounged around for a few days until the ship returned and we were reunited with our cruising friends for the trip home.  That's our experience.

• Thanks 1

Hey Pete,

Regarding  a positive pre-embarkation Covid, aka the “Wu”,  test you might want to check out the Zaandam roll call, 71-day Grand Africa, page 177, post #4417, regarding joining the ship after a 10-day “isolation”.

I don’t know if that helps or accuracy of the information since things ‘evolve’ Covid-wise seemingly on a weekly, or less, basis.

Best to Judy.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1