Cabin Change B2B

Patriotbier

October we will on 2 cruises (B2B) mediterranean and transatlantic with Odyssey of the Seas. Early this year we booked the same interior cabin deck 10 for the 2 cruises. The idea was to stay in the same cabin. My wife is sick ( osteoporosis and chronic athma ). The Cabin number has been confirmed for both cruises by RCCL and the travel agency and communicated to us in writing and they were displayed on the RCCL web page at our account. Since last week the cabin for the transatlantic changed suddenly from 10...to GTY and then to 8...without any notice to my travel agency nor to me. We are very disappointed from RCCL.

54 minutes ago, Patriotbier said:

We are very disappointed from RCCL.

Welcome to CC.

Forced cabin moves are rare but do happen - cabin changes on a B2B are not that big a deal, more like inconvenience - if you don't get your cabin back ask for some compensation/OBC.

9 minutes ago, alex_drew said:

Well, I know a lot of people say it's not a big deal to change cabins, but for me it is a loss of two days...one packing and another unpacking.  Ugh.  Just ugh!  If it were me, I'd be very unhappy!

Anything that you have on hangars does not have to be re-packed.  They will transfer those items to the new closet.    

My DH joked in the past he was going to hang up his underwear, etc so he didn't have to repack😁

Yes, definitely much easier and nicer to have same cabin.   

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, alex_drew said:

Well, I know a lot of people say it's not a big deal to change cabins, but for me it is a loss of two days...one packing and another unpacking.  Ugh.  Just ugh!  If it were me, I'd be very unhappy!

You take an entire day to pack and an entire day to unpack???

• Like 2

Use 2 gallon ziplock bags.  Throw each drawer in a ziplock, squeeze and throw in suitcase.  You can even use your airline carryon if you need more room.  Steward moves hangers (on hotel rack) and bags.  Only issue is whether you carry safe contents or hide those in luggage and carry only your passport/vax cards.  We have done both.

Once in new cabin each ziplock goes back in the same drawer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alex_drew said:

I'm with you -- I'm not saying I wouldn't do it; after all, the price for a guarantee is often considerably cheaper than a choose-your-room option, but I'd MUCH prefer to stay in the same room. 

Additionally, it takes me a day to "learn my spot" on the ship; that is, it takes me about a day to figure out the best routes to and from my room.  I'm sure I'd foolishly fall into "automatic mode" and return to my old cabin.  Then I'd have to slink away quickly and hope no one saw me trying to enter a stranger's room.  And I'd push the wrong button on the elevator for a day.

I never said it takes me all day to pack and all day to unpack.  For me, it is knowing that I have to pack (I use packing cubes, btw) and the fact that stuff is in my suitcase that evening and maybe it's harder to get to something I want...and then I'm a person who is not "on vacation" until every stinkin' thing is unpacked and in its proper place.  I also hate the fact that I don't have immediate access to the new room because it needs to be cleaned, just like for an embarking guest.  It's the whole thought process, so yeah, for ME it is a loss of two days.

• Haha 1

I've done more B2B changing cabins then not.  It takes about an hour, maybe two.  Turn around day is already a lost day and that is the day when I pack and unpack so no impact really.  

Sometimes I like changing cabins so I can explore what it's like to have a cabin in one area compared to another.  On something long like Vancouver to Sydney changing cabins can help to break the monotony of being in the same cabin for a month.    

At any rate, crisis averted.  Your TA did their job.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm with you -- I'm not saying I wouldn't do it; after all, the price for a guarantee is often considerably cheaper than a choose-your-room option, but I'd MUCH prefer to stay in the same room. 

Additionally, it takes me a day to "learn my spot" on the ship; that is, it takes me about a day to figure out the best routes to and from my room.  I'm sure I'd foolishly fall into "automatic mode" and return to my old cabin.  Then I'd have to slink away quickly and hope no one saw me trying to enter a stranger's room.  And I'd push the wrong button on the elevator for a day.

I guess that is why it isn’t the best strategy to do gty for a B2B. You are buying into a “run of the house” cabin selection process that can put you on different floors and/or at different ends of the ship. After all, a gty is the cabin no one else wants.

The farthest we have ever had to move on a B2B was 4-5 doors down from our first cabin when we weren’t able to get the same cabin for both legs.

14 hours ago, twangster said:

I've done more B2B changing cabins then not.  It takes about an hour, maybe two.  Turn around day is already a lost day and that is the day when I pack and unpack so no impact really.  

Same. 

14 hours ago, alex_drew said:

and the fact that stuff is in my suitcase that evening and maybe it's harder to get to something I want

Why would you pack the night before if you're staying on the ship? It's not like you have to put your suitcase out in the hallway at bedtime.  I just pack in the morning while I'm waiting to head to the B2B meet-up. 

Between packing cubes (unzip / place on shelf or drawer) and my over-the-door holder for small items (toiletries, sunglasses, phone charger....anything smaller than a shoe), packing and unpacking takes MAYBE fifteen minutes. 

(I put small items in the shoe holder at home, then roll the whole thing up and place in my suitcase.  Unroll and hang it up and everything is already "put away". Roll it up and put it in the suitcase and everything is "packed".)

• Like 1